*MEGATHREAD* - The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread MK IV Watch

blootle456
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Ramuk0002)
I did my GCSEs in the Summer of 2017 from a state school and got 988 6A*s and 2As, where I got As in Biology and Spanish. I was stupid and thought that GCSEs were only used to allow you to get into your preferred A-levels. I found that my biology paper was 1 UMS from an A* and appealed for remark but the exam officer was quite adamant for me to reconsider, stating that remarking would not make a difference as I already had many A*s. I had already been fighting for a remark for over two months and eventually gave in.

I now realize that if I had remarked the paper, I would have more than 3 times the chance of getting into my preferred university (Oxford). My Spanish grade was also really close - i had achieved 3A*s and an A in the 4 modules contributing to the overall grade (all are equally weighted). The module I got an A grade in was the Spanish writing and my teacher had told me that I had achieved an A* in the module.

Is there a way of notifying the universities of how close my GCSEs were to 10 A*s; I am currently in year 13 and sent off my application for medicine on the 15th October?
8 A*s vs 9/10 A*s is a very small difference, especially when applying to University. GCSEs are only a small aspect of your application, even for medicine, and it will almost certainly make negligible difference.

I understand that it's infuriating, and that medicine is a competitive course, but it shouldn't matter.
Ptandon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I want to do medicine. Besides chemistry, biology and Maths what can I do to enhance my application process
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Work experience
Good UKCAT and PS
bigpandax
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi guys
So I didn't do well in GCSES, purely due to my lack of revision, which was regrettably a huge mistake. So i don't really think any good medical schools in the UK will accept me.
I'm not sure what route to take, going to a medical school in somewhere else in Europe where they have an admissions test that you just have to get through or going through graduate entry and completing a degree in biomedical sciences etc. first.
Can anyone help me and knows anything about graduate entry/ studying in europe? I'm really not sure what to do
Btw I'm studying A levels right now, in year 12 doing Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I'm determined to do well in them but I feel as if my GCSEs will hold me down a lot.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by yungabzzz)
A lot of you are going to call me crazy. I do Computing at Imperial and I just seem to hate the course so much and I really wish I did Medicine instead. I am certain on dropping out. I really dislike my course as it makes me extremely depressed and feel really stupid. I would much rather do medicine for various reasons.

I have quite a few problems though:

- I do not have an A-Level in Biology, I have a C grade in AS Biology and an A grade in GCSE Biology. My grades overall are very good (A*A*A*A in A-Levels including Maths and Chemistry, very strong GCSEs). I assume I would have to take an A-Level in Biology before I apply which will take a year.

- I have missed the early deadline so I have to wait until next year to apply.

- Would UK medical schools even consider me because I would've taken 3 gap years before I enter university (if I even get a place)?

- Is it worth the wait?

What are my options? Someone please help because I am stuck in a very sticky situation and don't want to be trapped in a course I don't want to be doing.

Do not go past first year for funding reasons. Talk to Imperial.
You can still potentially apply for this year, even though you missed the deadline. Missing the deadline means they are under no obligation to consider you and they can fill their places from people who made the deadline. Its worth ringing round admissions. Imperial would take you on that, so maybe you can seek an internal transfer. Talk to tutor and seek permission to talk to Medical. get busy as they may already be interviewing.

Some medical schools will consider you without GCE Biology i.e with Chemistry and Maths, certainly enough to give you choice.
You should also look into foundation courses for people who have the wrong subjects.
That means your situation isnt anywhere near as grim as you think.

Whether its worth the wait, really depends on you and what you want in life.

You will also have the issue of UKcat and work experience.
Last edited by 999tigger; 8 months ago
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
A lot of you are going to call me crazy. I do Computing at Imperial and I just seem to hate the course so much and I really wish I did Medicine instead. I am certain on dropping out. I really dislike my course as it makes me extremely depressed and feel really stupid. I would much rather do medicine for various reasons.

- I do not have an A-Level in Biology, I have a C grade in AS Biology and an A grade in GCSE Biology. My grades overall are very good (A*A*A*A in A-Levels including Maths and Chemistry, very strong GCSEs). I assume I would have to take an A-Level in Biology before I apply which will take a year.

- Would UK medical schools even consider me because I would've taken 3 gap years before I enter university (if I even get a place)?

- Is it worth the wait?

What are my options? Someone please help because I am stuck in a very sticky situation and don't want to be trapped in a course I don't want to be doing.
What are you reasons for wanting to study medicine and why didn't you apply first time round? You wouldn't necessarily have to take A-level Biology. Quite a few medical schools don't ask for it and you have Chemistry, Maths and I assume another science.

Taking gap years isn't the problem, it's if you took those A-levels over more than 2 years and also if you they will consider you even though you've already started a degree. Some medical schools have issues with this though I can't remember which off the top of my head.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago

- Is it worth the wait?

You have already posted this 5 days ago and both me and another poster replied. What's your point posting again in another forum?
TCL
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by bigpandax)
Hi guys
So I didn't do well in GCSES, purely due to my lack of revision, which was regrettably a huge mistake. So i don't really think any good medical schools in the UK will accept me.
I'm not sure what route to take, going to a medical school in somewhere else in Europe where they have an admissions test that you just have to get through or going through graduate entry and completing a degree in biomedical sciences etc. first.
Can anyone help me and knows anything about graduate entry/ studying in europe? I'm really not sure what to do
Btw I'm studying A levels right now, in year 12 doing Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I'm determined to do well in them but I feel as if my GCSEs will hold me down a lot.

How bad were they? Some universities are not too bothered about GCSEs - eg Newcastle, but those unis require excellent UKCAT results and AAA at A level - do you think you can achieve that?
abbiestuart2003
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I’m currently in s4 and I’m trying to pick my highers to take next year and I’m wanting to study medicine but I’m scared I won’t be accepted.

I am doing my national 5s and I’m predicted As in all my subjects - Maths, English, biology, French, history, geography and media

I was thinking of crashing higher chemistry, higher biology, English, history and geography for my highers.

For advanced highers if I was going to do medicine I’d take adv biology and chemistry in 6th year and pick up maths and maybe another subject like french at higher.

Let’s say I got good grades in these subjects, would I have a good chance of getting into Scottish universities teaching medicine (e.g. Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Glasgow etc) ?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
yungabzzz
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
You have already posted this 5 days ago and both me and another poster replied. What's your point posting again in another forum?
Sorry I'm really confused. I keep trying to post it as it's own thread but it seems to just keep getting added to this one? Not really sure what's going on
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Sorry I'm really confused. I keep trying to post it as it's own thread but it seems to just keep getting added to this one? Not really sure what's going on
You don't need your own thread for this, lots of people ask similar questions so they are all combined into this megathread.

If you have further (different) questions about being good enough for Medicine ask them her (after checking the previous answers...).

Posted from TSR Mobile
yungabzzz
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
A lot of you are going to call me crazy.

I do Computing at Imperial and I just seem to hate the course so much and I really wish I did Medicine instead. I am certain on dropping out. I really dislike my course as it makes me extremely depressed and feel really stupid. I would much rather do medicine for various reasons.

- I have already started a Computing degree, so would medical schools even want to take me in considering this?

- Is it worth the wait?

999tigger
Report 8 months ago
A lot of you are going to call me crazy.

I do Computing at Imperial and I just seem to hate the course so much and I really wish I did Medicine instead. I am certain on dropping out. I really dislike my course as it makes me extremely depressed and feel really stupid. I would much rather do medicine for various reasons.

- I have already started a Computing degree, so would medical schools even want to take me in considering this?

- Is it worth the wait?

Did you post this yesterday because I am sure I answered near the exact same thread. Imperial to medicine.

1. A reasonable number of schools will accept 2 A levels of Chemistry and Math or another science. You will have to go through entrance requirements but its enough to cater to give you choice.

2. You can still ask medical schools if they will consider you for this year. Some will still see people past the deadline, although not sure how it would work with UKcat.

3. They would be fine at the change as long as the rest of your medical application was good. Think experience and PS. You may need the rest of this year to get your app into shape.

4. Yes it would be fine as your A levels are excellent.

5. Only you can say of its worth the wait. medicine is a bit more of a vocation than other degrees.
Pompina
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I recently moved back from Spain after living and studying there for 10 years. This June I self-studied my A-levels and sat Biology and Spanish as a private candidate. I achieved AB in the end. Due to the cost to sit the exams and practical assignments, the fact I studied them without support and the shift from one educational system to another meant I only took 2.

I am now in the process of studying A-level chemistry and will sit the exams next June. I am weighing up my options and chances of getting a place for medicine including a foundation year. I'm also hoping to get some healthcare experience while I study my chemistry as a healthcare assistant in a hospital.

With all of this in mind, including the fact I would have sat all my exams over multiple periods, is it worth waiting a year and trying to apply for medicine next September? If this route is infeasible would my next best option be to apply as a graduate after I finish an undergraduate degree such as biomedical sciences?

I would very much appreciate any insight. Thanks
Last edited by Pompina; 8 months ago
hydroxide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Fermataaaa)
Hi all,

As the title says, I am an international student, doing my A-levels at an ordinary sixth form college. I have already applied to Biomedical Sciences courses for 2019 entry as I am approaching to the end of my curriculum in Y13.

However, recently, there was a change of heart and that I am now wanting to go into medicine.
Now, since it is too late to apply for 2019 entry medicine, I am considering the option of re-sitting my A-levels.
My current predicted grades are:

Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Psychology: A

And if I will be re-sitting my A-levels, I will probably push my A to an A* for Biology and possibly for one another as well. What are your thoughts on this? Is this option worth considering? Will I stand a chance of getting into any medical school in the UK if I'd re-sat my A-levels?

I would be most grateful of any advice.

Thank you in advance
why don't you just aim to get all A* this year? then you won't have to resit.
they're just predicted grades, they don't mean anything.
Kames09
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
hi i wonder if anyone could answer a question that i have had recently

since GCSE results day quite a while ago I've always assumed that my GCSE's would prevent me from getting into Cambridge as well they where by no means bad they weren't OMG amazing and i did go to a very good school which i felt like was the nail in the coffin for my chances , however through my first year at A-level I achieved really good predictions and i i got amazing references as all of my teachers say that they hold me to a 'higher standard' because of my work ethic , I've done a tonne of volunteering in different settings and have coached kids tennis for almost 4 years now and I've done numerous shadowing work experinces programs and have literally done everything that i could that i could add to my personal statement in hopes to make it as strong as possible I think as it says that all applicants are assessed on an individual basis that my good A level predictions and other stuff including a bronze in the chemistry Olympiad in year 12 can counteract this, i would really appreciate some advice on the topic, I decided to apply in hope which may have been stupid, my results and predictions are listed below. P.S i haven't received my BMAT results yet.

A-level predictions
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Maths - A*
Ep - A*

GCSE:
physics - A*
biology - A*
chemistry - A*
maths -7(A)
history - A
computer science - B
RE- B
DT- B
English language - 5(c)
literature - 5(c)

Y12 Chemistry Olympiad result - bronze (achieved beginning year 12)
SarangYongya
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
English-C
Maths- A*
R.E- A*
3 sciences- B’s
Numeracy and health and social- B’s
It(short course)- A
Welsh Bacc- P2
My grades aren’t good enough because I studied only year 11 in UK. If I can apply to any medical school which would be good according to my grades?
username3186824
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by SarangYongya)
English-C
Maths- A*
R.E- A*
3 sciences- B’s
Numeracy and health and social- B’s
It(short course)- A
Welsh Bacc- P2
My grades aren’t good enough because I studied only year 11 in UK. If I can apply to any medical school which would be good according to my grades?
Check minimum GCSE requirements and see which unis accept your results. In your situation my only concern is the english grade, I don't know if you need a B or a C, so check on what the different medical school admissions policies say.
joodlim
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hello,
Currently my transcript as a undergraduate isn't that great. I have two C+ in math. One C+ in biology
joodlim
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
[QUOTE=joodlim;80805642]Hello,
Currently my transcript as a undergraduate isn't that great. I have two C+ in math. One C+ in biology in which I replaced from getting a D+ my freshman quarter. Right now my GPA is 2.7

As a sophomore, my math grade isn't that great so I'm thinking of receiving a "W". This will be my second time. The first time I received a "w" was last year.

Besides extracirriculars, do I even have a chance to get into med school?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%