The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So would you suggest, taking a gap year and doing my UCAT and applying for medicine with a foundation year next year would be the sensible option?
Original post by Suzan.samson123
So would you suggest, taking a gap year and doing my UCAT and applying for medicine with a foundation year next year would be the sensible option?

Only if you meet the widening participation criteria and you are eligible for Medicine with a Foundation Year courses!

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by studybuddy1302
How many marks away from a B are u in bio and what exam board is this?

3 marks AQA, I’m hoping to get them from the essay but I’ll know more when I get the papers back
Okay, Thankyou so much for your help!
I'm a resident of India and I'm currently in Grade 11th. I've been studying for the NEET-UG examination (Indian medical entrance exam) for the past 7 months. However recently I have developed an inkling to study in the UK and be a part of the acclaimed NHS but I have a few doubts regarding the application process.

1) Do colleges in UK offer a MBBS degree? If yes what is the duration of the course and which colleges offer it?
2) Apart from the IELTS & UKCAT, do I need to appear for any supplement examinations?
3) I'm currently in a HSC (local Maharashtra board) college. do UK universities recognise HSC/CBSE/CISCE scores? Should I enroll myself into an IB college?
4) Apart from good grades, essays, and recommendation letters do universities look for something else?
5) Are there any scholarships that I can avail?
6) Do I need to give the NEET examination in order to study in the UK?

Looking forward to a prompt and favourable response :smile:
Hi guys. I am in year 10 and am going to apply for medicine in the future. I am a St. John's Ambulance Cadet, have done a Gold CREST award, won multiple science and engineering competitions and read many medical related books. Currently, I am a writer for the Youth Medical Journal and also run a blog to inspire young girls to engage with STEM subjects. Are there any supercurricular activities you would recommend to further this? Thanks :smile:
Original post by ScienceSoph
Hi guys. I am in year 10 and am going to apply for medicine in the future. I am a St. John's Ambulance Cadet, have done a Gold CREST award, won multiple science and engineering competitions and read many medical related books. Currently, I am a writer for the Youth Medical Journal and also run a blog to inspire young girls to engage with STEM subjects. Are there any supercurricular activities you would recommend to further this? Thanks :smile:

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. The key is to reflect on what you learnt form your experiences rather than simply list them when you do come to apply.

It's also important to make sure you get some work experience done as well when you're able to. You still have lots of time for that though :smile:
Original post by usycool1
Sounds like you're doing all the right things. The key is to reflect on what you learnt form your experiences rather than simply list them when you do come to apply.

It's also important to make sure you get some work experience done as well when you're able to. You still have lots of time for that though :smile:

Thank you! Are there any research opportunities that would be beneficial? I have heard of the Nuffield but that's not in my area... Do you by chance know of any others? Also, what is the best way to go about getting work experience when I'm old enough? Thank you!!
Thank you! Are there any research opportunities that would be beneficial? I have heard of the Nuffield but that's not in my area... Do you by chance know of any others? Also, what is the best way to go about getting work experience when I'm old enough? Thank you!!

I'm afraid that I'm slightly out of the loop now with what sort of research opportunities are available for students so am not too sure. I do know there are some essay competitions you can enter as a student if you're very keen though - for example, on the Unofficial Guide for Medicine website. But to be honest, I wouldn't worry *too* much about that. If you want to do it for 'fun', then go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't stress too much.

In terms of work experience - have a look at the Trust website near to you to see if they advertise any opportunities. Otherwise, see if your school has any details of doctors who you can contact (or contact any you know yourself to ask!). There are also usually opportunities to volunteer in hospitals/hospices/care homes which would also be very useful - again, info on this could be found on trust websites.
Original post by usycool1
I'm afraid that I'm slightly out of the loop now with what sort of research opportunities are available for students so am not too sure. I do know there are some essay competitions you can enter as a student if you're very keen though - for example, on the Unofficial Guide for Medicine website. But to be honest, I wouldn't worry *too* much about that. If you want to do it for 'fun', then go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't stress too much.

In terms of work experience - have a look at the Trust website near to you to see if they advertise any opportunities. Otherwise, see if your school has any details of doctors who you can contact (or contact any you know yourself to ask!). There are also usually opportunities to volunteer in hospitals/hospices/care homes which would also be very useful - again, info on this could be found on trust websites.

Thank you so much!
Do things you enjoy it’s not a tick box exercise
Original post by Angiogram1
Do things you enjoy it’s not a tick box exercise

Thank you for the advice. I absolutely love everything I'm doing, at the moment it's more for enriching myself and exploring medicine and science rather than university applications as I just enjoy it all so much! I was hoping other like minded people might share other activities like these they have done as inspiration! :smile:
Before asking the basic questions, read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Original post by Rohan.N
...1) Do colleges in UK offer a MBBS degree? If yes what is the duration of the course and which colleges offer it

Yes. They are not called colleges but universities. Usually 5 years, but some are 6 and include an extra degree.

There are currently about 35 - 40 med schools in the UK.

2) Apart from the IELTS & UKCAT, do I need to appear for any supplement examinations?

Some med schools require the BMAT.

3) I'm currently in a HSC (local Maharashtra board) college. do UK universities recognise HSC/CBSE/CISCE scores? Should I enroll myself into an IB college?

Some do, so check with the med schools.

4) Apart from good grades, essays, and recommendation letters do universities look for something else?

UCAT / BMAT scores

5) Are there any scholarships that I can avail?

Extremely rare. Even people paying full fees (that's around £40,000 per year and above) face incredible competitions (that's more than 10 applicants to one offer), some med schools are as competitive as 50, 70 applicants to one offer.

Even if you do get a scholarship, the chances are it'll be partial (e.g. £10,000 per year) and you'll be expected to fund the rest yourself.

6) Do I need to give the NEET examination in order to study in the UK?

No.

P.S. (No offence to you, I post this every time I see it) In proper English, it's not give an exam. In South Asian languages "give" may be the correct verb, but it's take, sit or do an exam in English. Whether in the UK or in Australia, people may be confused if they hear that you're "giving" the test, because it sounds like you're composing the questions or administering it as a examiner.

No need, you've done well.

Just concentrate on schoolwork, grades, UCAT and BMAT (much later on!) for now.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by gamst
I have my igcse English first language (B) and Eng. Literature(C).

Do I still need an IELTS score for me to apply for a medical school?

any experiences?

Fellow international applicant here. A few of them accept IGCSE first language English (Glasgow and Leicester come to mind) but only if you’ve also done the speaking components. Check the language requirements of the universities you’re applying to and you can always email them if in doubt!
When do you think it will be unrealistic to go from around 3Ds to 3As in the second college year for maths physics chemistry . When would you say the cut off point would be for this to not happen?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Jim 121
When do you think it will be unrealistic to go from around 3Ds to 3As in the second college year for maths physics chemistry . When would you say the cut off point would be for this to not happen?

I mean, whatever we say, there will always be someone who pops up going ‘I revised really hard for two weeks before the exams and went from Ds to As’ or something, but they will be the exception.

Very few students overperform relative to their predicteds and even fewer of those will overperform by 3 grades, so the “cutoff point” for most people seems to be around the Y12 mocks at the latest. A lot will depend on why you have 3Ds and if that’s ‘fixable’. Equally there is a chance that you won’t get to sit the exams anyway!
Original post by becausethenight
I mean, whatever we say, there will always be someone who pops up going ‘I revised really hard for two weeks before the exams and went from Ds to As’ or something, but they will be the exception.

Very few students overperform relative to their predicteds and even fewer of those will overperform by 3 grades, so the “cutoff point” for most people seems to be around the Y12 mocks at the latest. A lot will depend on why you have 3Ds and if that’s ‘fixable’. Equally there is a chance that you won’t get to sit the exams anyway!

I really really hope they don’t get cancelled... but I feel like they will, and if they will, the competition for 2022 entry will be 100x worse...
So because of the uncertainty within the exams I have run into a slight problem. As a private candidate they don't really seem to care about us and it's unlikely that I will be able to get any grades this year when I was intending to resit Maths, English & Science's in order to achieve minimum 6's. I am pretty confident that in 6 months I would of been able to achieve that and surpass a grade 6 in Science but looks like that won't be able to happen anymore.

The issue now lies with me getting accepted into college to do A Level Biology, Chemistry & another subject and even if am able to get in (unlikely because they want 5 in Maths and 6+ in sciences) I am still going to have poor GCSE's which is going to severely limit my ability to get into any medical school.

The only medical schools be open to me with my current GCSES:
- Newcastle
- Exeter
- Plymouth
- Glasgow (need a 6 in English so would have to resit that one subject)

I'm really not sure on what to do and I am concerned that it's going to take me an extra year especially if I am not able to get into college to study those A-levels. Even if I do, my med school choices aren't looking too great.

Does anybody have any advice for my current situation?
Thanks
if someone who's predictions were too high to apply for foundation but got CAGs that meant they could apply to foundation , could they apply by clearing?
Original post by sognatore
I really really hope they don’t get cancelled... but I feel like they will, and if they will, the competition for 2022 entry will be 100x worse...

...and I am psychic after all :lol:
Seriously though, hope you're OK after the announcement? It gave me war flashbacks to my exams being cancelled and I thought I was over that :colonhash:

Latest

Trending

Trending