The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Did you post this yesterday because I am sure I answered near the exact same thread. Imperial to medicine.

1. A reasonable number of schools will accept 2 A levels of Chemistry and Math or another science. You will have to go through entrance requirements but its enough to cater to give you choice.

2. You can still ask medical schools if they will consider you for this year. Some will still see people past the deadline, although not sure how it would work with UKcat.

3. They would be fine at the change as long as the rest of your medical application was good. Think experience and PS. You may need the rest of this year to get your app into shape.

4. Yes it would be fine as your A levels are excellent.

5. Only you can say of its worth the wait. medicine is a bit more of a vocation than other degrees.

Thank you :smile:
One does not simply elect to 'do' medicine because 'they hate computing at imperial'. If you so much as breathe that in an interview they are going to reject you without a blink. It does make me begin to doubt your aspirations when you say things like: 'I would much rather do medicine for various reasons'.

Other than that waiting a year, or two or three makes absolutely no difference to ones suitability to entering medicine. I know someone who began their studies at the age of 50.

I have attended many interviews for many many different things, any indication of a lack of commitment on your part will be disadvantageous.
Reply 82
Original post by eolka47
hi,

i really underperformed during my GCSE’s (98888877AA65 basically 6A*’s, 4A’s , 1B 1C) and i was offered the chance to resit three of my gcses to gain higher grades in summer. i am in year 12 and I want to do medicine at a good uni, I even want to apply to Cambridge. do u think resitting some GCSE’s to get better grades would hinder my application?

Your GCSEs are fine for Cambridge and many other universities. I agree with the previous poster to focus on your A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
What universities would accept a grade 5 in maths for Medicine? This is the only grade that I'm worried will let me down.
Have you looked at brighton for medicine? i think they ask for a 6 in gcse maths but if your other grades are decent and you come across well in the interview or application maybe they will accept that. Its probally best to email the uni's/courses directly and ask
Reply 85
Original post by mathsisfun?
Have you looked at brighton for medicine? i think they ask for a 6 in gcse maths but if your other grades are decent and you come across well in the interview or application maybe they will accept that. Its probally best to email the uni's/courses directly and ask

Hey, I made a list of all the universities that don't require specific grades at GCSE or 5s for medicine.
Exeter
Imperial
Newcastle
Nottingham Lincoln
Plymouth University Peninsula
Queen’s University Belfast
Southampton
University of St Andrews
Central Lancashire
Original post by lol hi
Hey, I made a list of all the universities that don't require specific grades at GCSE or 5s for medicine.
Exeter
Imperial
Newcastle
Nottingham Lincoln
Southampton
University of St Andrews
Central Lancashire

Aberdeen only require 5 in Maths.

As far as I can see Nottingham/Lincoln want a 6.
Reply 87
Original post by lol hi
Exeter
Imperial
Newcastle
Nottingham Lincoln
Southampton
University of St Andrews
Central Lancashire

Add Cambridge to that list...
Reply 88
Original post by Shimmaraz
Unfortunately almost all medical schools ask for an 8 in English Language. There are some that are more flexible. I would suggest Oxford and Cardiff t start with.

Completely ignore that total rubbish please most med schools don’t weigh GCSES very heavily and most med schools only look at English and Math for example Bristol look for a 5 in English and a 7 in maths there isn’t a single med school that requires an 8 in English although it significantly helps both oxbridge and Cardiff who are all GCSE heavy

Hell some med schools don’t even look at GCSES like Newcastle
Reply 89
Original post by mathsisfun?

BSMS do indeed ask for a B/6 or above for maths GCSE, this is a requirement and if you don't achieve it, they will not even consider your application further, even to look at your other grades, let alone invite you for interview. Minimum requirements are just that a minimum level you are required to achive to be considered. You often need considerably higher grades than the minimum to be considered competitive
Reply 90
Original post by lol hi
Exeter
Imperial
Newcastle
Nottingham Lincoln
Southampton
University of St Andrews
Central Lancashire

Your list is not quite accurate. The unis that will accept an applicant with a C/5 in maths are:
Aberdeen
ARU
Cambridge
Exeter
Glasgow (require a B in English)
Imperial (also need a B in English)
Newcastle
Plymouth
QUB do not specify a grade other than A*-C, but they do select for interview using a GCSE score + UKCAT, you may still make the cut off if all other grades are good
St Andrews are accepting a 5 as a B at present

Nottingham Lincoln needs one of either Physics or Maths at grade 7 (A) with the otherbeing grade 6 (B) and a minimum of grade 6 (B) in English Language.
Southampton require an A in maths
UCLan only accept UK applicants resident in the North West of England.
Reply 91
Original post by Kames09
Completely ignore that total rubbish please most med schools don’t weigh GCSES very heavily and most med schools only look at English and Math for example Bristol look for a 5 in English and a 7 in maths there isn’t a single med school that requires an 8 in English although it significantly helps both oxbridge and Cardiff who are all GCSE heavy

Hell some med schools don’t even look at GCSES like Newcastle

Whilst the statement that almost all med schools ask for an 8 in English is indeed inaccurate, there are currently still 16 med schools that use GCSEs as part of their selection criteria, meaning nearly half of all med schools still put significant weight on them and would score your best 7 or 8 results, usually to include maths, English, Chemistry and Biology. So whilst technically "most" do not weigh GCSEs heavily, it is still a significant proportion, and those that don't, generally rely heavily on admissions tests, meaning you are putting all your eggs in one basket
Reply 92
Original post by GANFYD
Whilst the statement that almost all med schools ask for an 8 in English is indeed inaccurate, there are currently still 16 med schools that use GCSEs as part of their selection criteria, meaning nearly half of all med schools still put significant weight on them and would score your best 7 or 8 results, usually to include maths, English, Chemistry and Biology. So whilst technically "most" do not weigh GCSEs heavily, it is still a significant proportion, and those that don't, generally rely heavily on admissions tests, meaning you are putting all your eggs in one basket

I 17 med schools including the likes of imperial UCL Newcastle ect in my opinion isn’t putting your eggs in one basket as long as you apply for a bit of both with regards to UKCAT and BMAT universities. Often people don’t do as well at GCSE simply because they where young and ignorant whereas if people are doing badly in admissions tests it’s more of an indicator that maybe this isn’t the career for you
Reply 93
Original post by Kames09
I 17 med schools including the likes of imperial UCL Newcastle ect in my opinion isn’t putting your eggs in one basket as long as you apply for a bit of both with regards to UKCAT and BMAT universities. Often people don’t do as well at GCSE simply because they where young and ignorant whereas if people are doing badly in admissions tests it’s more of an indicator that maybe this isn’t the career for you

Just pointing out that many medical schools still consider GCSEs to be important
Reply 94
Well here are my GCSE results:

Statistics: A

Textiles: A

Physics: 7

Chemistry: 7

Biology: 8

Religious studies: 7

Geography: 6

English literature: 7

English language: 6

German: 5

They're not great, but I was going through a rough time while doing GCSE's so I'm still proud of them. I'm only upset about maths as I know I would have done better if circumstances were different. Most univerisites don't accept resits either so I didn't bother with doing one. So, do you think universities will still accept my grades?

Original post by GANFYD
Just pointing out that many medical schools still consider GCSEs to be important
Reply 95
Original post by lol hi
Well here are my GCSE results:

Statistics: A

Textiles: A

Physics: 7

Chemistry: 7

Biology: 8

Religious studies: 7

Geography: 6

English literature: 7

English language: 6

German: 5

They're not great, but I was going through a rough time while doing GCSE's so I'm still proud of them. I'm only upset about maths as I know I would have done better if circumstances were different. Most univerisites don't accept resits either so I didn't bother with doing one. So, do you think universities will still accept my grades?

You’ll be perfectly fine as long as you apply strategically and DO WELL AT A -LEVELS cause those are the most important thing
Reply 96
Original post by Kames09
You’ll be perfectly fine as long as you apply strategically and DO WELL AT A -LEVELS cause those are the most important thing

Yeah, I'm studying biology, chemistry and psychology. Currently in year 12. I'll give my best shot at both AS-levels and A-levels. :smile:
Hi,
I’m currently doing my last year of A levels and I have taken chemistry, biology and maths.
I’m currently predicted a BBB but I think I can do better than that. I wanted to know if I can achieve at least AAA in the next 6 months (that’s the time I have left until my exams). And possibly A*AA..? If I’m lucky?

I would like to apply on October of 2019.
If I were to do medicine I need to do a tonne of work experience. Do you think I have enough time to get the grades and do work experience such as shadowing a doctor, working in a care home for a period of time, helping children, studying how to be successful at interviews and writing my personal statement ? My exams are in June but I have until October to do everything else.
Does anyone think it’s possible for me to achieve this?
I know medicine if very competitive but if worked my butt off does anyone think it’ll pay off..? Or is it not worth it and I should try for something else. I really would like to study medicine..
Currently I’m in year 11 and pre-mock my predicted gcse grades are 6 9s 3 8s and a 6. Considering this and a work experience in a local hospital. Would this be enough to study medicine at a decent Uni
Original post by Linnea16
Currently I’m in year 11 and pre-mock my predicted gcse grades are 6 9s 3 8s and a 6. Considering this and a work experience in a local hospital. Would this be enough to study medicine at a decent Uni

which subject is the 6 in?

otherwise, it sounds great but as you know, the more 9's the better.

Latest

Trending

Trending