The Student Room Group

Can you love someone that you've never spoke to?

Simple question: Is it possible to be in love with another human but you have never spoken to them? or is it just a fantasy?
Reply 1
Original post by ROCF1FAN
Simple question: Is it possible to be in love with another human but you have never spoken to them? or is it just a fantasy?

It's infatuation.
Depends on your definition of love.

But generally, I would say yes. You can lust after someone and fall in love with the idea of them (rather than them as a genuine person). It's your typical celebrity crush you might stalk and get to "know" like that or that cute girl in the bus; whose home interior and house address you for some reason know coupled with all her social media.
"I miss you, but I haven't met you yet." ~ Bjork
I would say you become infatuated with them but 'love' an idea of them, a construction of sorts. As obviously you don't know the fullest picture, you fill the gaps with presumed good things and interpret actions they take in the best possible way.

So I suppose technically, no.
The better question is: is love a fantasy.

I don't think there is much difference between a love shared in letters versus a love shared in body. They are both foolish, hormone-driven delusions, but equally intense.
Highly doubt it
You can of course but only if you know that person, her personality, her interests, her beliefs. only if you've seen that person and how she behaves. So it's actually pretty hard to get to the point where you can say you actually love someone for who they are, rather than lets stay a crush, without having spoken or interacted with them directly.
Reply 8
Only ever made eye contact with
Reply 9
College takes up alot of time.
Original post by ROCF1FAN

I mean, there is precedent, particularly among medieval Italian poets. Dante only spoke to Beatrice twice in his entire life, nine years apart, when he was 9 and then again when he was 18, and yet nobody could possibly deny he loved her (you should read some passages from La Vita Nuova - everybody's been there, and he's so eloquent). Similarly, Petrarch barely spoke to Laura, if at all, and yet, again, NOBODY is denying he loved her.

But as a rule, no. It's possible to love someone who doesn't love you back - as a great many of us find out duriing the course of our lives - but you can't love someone in any significant way unless you know what kind of person they are.

I'm very deeply in love with someone I haven't spoken to in nearly two months, before which I had only met him on my own twice, but I did spend a number of nights with him and his friends, and I did talk to him on and off for about two years (obviously, he didn't feel the same). But I know things about him, and the fact is, true love rests on the little things. I love how soft the tips of his fingers are. I love the stupid words he makes up but still uses all the time (yosh instead of yes, n instead of and... there's a few). I love the birthmark he has in the crook of his elbow. I love that he always leaves a faint smell of strawberry shampoo behind him when he goes. I love the avocado toast he has for breakfast, and I love the way his lips turn scarlet when he drinks too much.

You just can't experience these things without actually speaking to and knowing the person, and, for me at least, these are what great loves are built on. So no, I don't think you can love someone without speaking to them.
Maybe

Quick Reply

Latest