The Student Room Group

Is my degree useless?

I am starting a Business and Management undergrad course at Leeds beckett university in January 2019. I am worried that the course I have chosen will not be very beneficial to me in the future in terms of job prospects. My friends have also told me that because Leeds Beckett is not a very prestigious university, that my degree will essentially be even more useless. Is it true that this degree from this uni is pointless or should I pursue it ?
Most jobs (except for the sceincy ones) do not require a specific degree. Hell- you can be a teacher, a lawyer (if you do GDL/SQE course), policeman etc. So many jobs and usually a degree shows academic competency to some degree. It's a decent degree at a decent uni. Plus you will get a chance at enjoying the university life (only in Y13 atm- but it looks LIT); and I really wouldn't give that up.

I know degree-apprenticeships are getting big and maybe you might benefit more of those- but I really wouldn't stress about your degree, it is great or your university too much. Enjoy, learn and be proactive with making connections and trying to land a training/job contract with a place or firm where you want to work. So I suggest going to Uni but also getting your name out there in the job market and really finding and creating opportunities for the future. Most jobs require a 2:1 degree after all.
Yeah that is true that plenty jobs don’t require a specific degree , I’m nkt sure what I want to do in the future so I guess this degree leaves my options open, thankyou
Do something you REALLY like and enjoy. Why? Because when you enjoy and like the subject, you will do much better than if you don't enjoy the subject, and this leads to better results, less stress and more time available to build up the other skills that may be even more important than you degree as it is those that will set you apart from the many degree holders like yourself.
Original post by Melissamario
I am starting a Business and Management undergrad course at Leeds beckett university in January 2019. I am worried that the course I have chosen will not be very beneficial to me in the future in terms of job prospects. My friends have also told me that because Leeds Beckett is not a very prestigious university, that my degree will essentially be even more useless. Is it true that this degree from this uni is pointless or should I pursue it ?

Hey!

I study Management at Bath and am currently on my placement year!

I had the same doubts when I was applying to university, as I am sure most people do. However, Management is such a broad subject, you could apply it to anything, and you gain so many other skills at university that can be applied to all sorts of jobs - employers often look for transferable skills such as team work, organisation etc. and you can demonstrate this from completing group coursework to being part of a sports team at uni.

Also, the placement opportunities that were open to us as Management students were endless. Companies such as Disney, Loreal, PWC, PayPal, Morgan Stanley etc. recruited students for positions in marketing, accounting, HR, finance etc. I am doing my placement at Bosch who took students from a huge range of universities, including Leeds Beckett so do not think studying here will limit you at all!

If you have any more questions just quote me :smile:

Alice,
3rd Year Management Student, University of Bath
Reply 5
Original post by University of Bath
Hey!

I study Management at Bath and am currently on my placement year!

I had the same doubts when I was applying to university, as I am sure most people do. However, Management is such a broad subject, you could apply it to anything, and you gain so many other skills at university that can be applied to all sorts of jobs - employers often look for transferable skills such as team work, organisation etc. and you can demonstrate this from completing group coursework to being part of a sports team at uni.

Also, the placement opportunities that were open to us as Management students were endless. Companies such as Disney, Loreal, PWC, PayPal, Morgan Stanley etc. recruited students for positions in marketing, accounting, HR, finance etc. I am doing my placement at Bosch who took students from a huge range of universities, including Leeds Beckett so do not think studying here will limit you at all!

If you have any more questions just quote me :smile:

Alice,
3rd Year Management Student, University of Bath

hi alice!

I have an assesment centre at Bosch soon and i was wondering if you have any advice on it?
I am very worried about the written exercise and numerical tests. Does bosch make them quite difficult?

Quick Reply