The Student Room Group

Training contract while doing the GDL at BPP

Hello,
I am planning to start the GDL in January 2019 at BPP. I understand a lot of them manage to get training contracts and the firms fund the GDL and the LPC. I have applied / have been applying to few firms since 2 weeks (for training contracts, vacation schemes & open days), and I have not heard back from any of them. I want to know how realistic are my chances of getting a training contract while doing the GDL /after I have completed the GDL. I have a 2:1 quaifying law degree from a common law jurisdiction and also an LLM in Human Rights from SOAS, University of London, which I passed with merit (High 2:1) and my dissertation was awarded a distinction. Since LPC is another huge investment and I have heard stories of people not landing a job even after completing the LPC, I would rather have an idea before I embark on doing the GDL.
Reply 1
Original post by Dee Tea
Hello,
I am planning to start the GDL in January 2019 at BPP. I understand a lot of them manage to get training contracts and the firms fund the GDL and the LPC. I have applied / have been applying to few firms since 2 weeks (for training contracts, vacation schemes & open days), and I have not heard back from any of them. I want to know how realistic are my chances of getting a training contract while doing the GDL /after I have completed the GDL. I have a 2:1 quaifying law degree from a common law jurisdiction and also an LLM in Human Rights from SOAS, University of London, which I passed with merit (High 2:1) and my dissertation was awarded a distinction. Since LPC is another huge investment and I have heard stories of people not landing a job even after completing the LPC, I would rather have an idea before I embark on doing the GDL.

OK first of all, did you apply for any winter vacation schemes? Because if not and you actually applied for TCs or vac schemes commencing later on, you may have to wait months upon months before you hear anything - this is entirely normal (again provided it's not for the winter vac schemes).

Secondly, the chances of you getting a TC cannot be defined. If you are an excellent applicant you do have a good shot, if you aren't then not so. Not one of us can say whether are you in fact a good or an average and so on applicant. Provided you meet the basic requirements each firm sets, your chances will depend entirely on how well you answer the questions on the application forms, how well you perform in the tests, in the interviews and so on. Each firm has its own criteria so this varies to a certain degree.

Still, by default, doing the GDL with your own funds is a risky investment - simply because getting a TC is extremely competitive, even for good applicants. Make sure to consider whether you are willing to apply in consequent years should you not be successful. Truthfully, firms would certainly be more willing to get the right candidate even if it meant they had to invest more into them by means of funding the GDL/LPC - these qualifications by themselves will not increase your chances per se unless you are also the right fit for the respective firm you're applying to (this is specific to relatively big city firms, as other firms not willing to fund the qualifications will require them).

Just to clarify, this is not to dissuade you at all. I simply want to ensure you have realistic expectations because the graduate market, and especially super competitive schemes like the TC, can be brutal. Make sure to not give up trying but also to think your goals through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I applied for winter vacation schemes but it was just last week and last minute. I have a feeling that I have a realistic chance in the summer vacation scheme. My A levels are international equivalent taken in 2007, with no official UCAS conversions on the UCAS website. It is further complicated by my university qualifications (including the qualifying law degree from a foreign university). The only qualification I have in the UK is the masters degree in law which I scored high 2:1 and my dissertation was awarded a distinction. I hope the foreign qualifications are not held against me.

I hope to apply for some paralegal positions and gain some experience and continue to apply for TC. I wanted to know if this will help in getting a training contract and add positively to my CV. But again most GDL/LPC graduates also apply for paralegal positions.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply