The Student Room Group

Depression & School

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place to seek for advice but does anyone have any experience in repeating year 10/11 and missing GCSE's for personal reasons or that it involves being severely depressed?

I missed out over a year and half of school due to being mentally unwell caused by several tormenting things in life i went through and i couldn't cope with my school's environment , therefore i wasn't able to take my GCSE's from anxiety as i knew i would obviously fail since i missed out a huge gap in education. The school i used to attend didn't exactly help me educational wise although they knew of my situation, such as they didn't offer sending me work home or provide catch up lessons so i fell back further more behind. By the time there was a few weeks left of year 11 the workers/ therapists arranged a meeting with my Headteacher, manager of attendance and punctuality, etc, if they would allow me retaking year 11 or even from year 10 so that i had my chance to being back in education as to what i missed. The pupils in my classes won't be attending the same school as me, and i would exceed through grades and GCSE's like i always aimed for, a fresh beginning sounded perfect. However after a few meetings trying to persuade my school to help towards my Child Plan, they came to a final decision that they would not accept me back.

My parents emailed and tried to convince other schools if they would allow me to repeat year 10/11 or sixth form and be able to take my GCSE's regarding my situation, with evidence and the support of professionals, but they gave the same answer as my previous school, "no". Since there was no hope everyone eventually gave up, i too gave up, but not completely. I got accepted into a college recently, however i'm only allowed to take maths and english functional skills and then AS which i was not hoping for. Even if there's a slight chance and i'm asking for too much but i want to do all my GCSE's and then move on to A-Levels, i mess up a lot and so i ruin my chances but i expect and hope to get to where i want to be and of course i need to work hard on my grades and progress.

If you know any schools that allows 16 year old students to retake year 10/11 or sixth forms that let u take ur GCSE's, could u please recommend? Thank you.
Original post by Empty Silence
I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place to seek for advice but does anyone have any experience in repeating year 10/11 and missing GCSE's for personal reasons or that it involves being severely depressed?

I missed out over a year and half of school due to being mentally unwell caused by several tormenting things in life i went through and i couldn't cope with my school's environment , therefore i wasn't able to take my GCSE's from anxiety as i knew i would obviously fail since i missed out a huge gap in education. The school i used to attend didn't exactly help me educational wise although they knew of my situation, such as they didn't offer sending me work home or provide catch up lessons so i fell back further more behind. By the time there was a few weeks left of year 11 the workers/ therapists arranged a meeting with my Headteacher, manager of attendance and punctuality, etc, if they would allow me retaking year 11 or even from year 10 so that i had my chance to being back in education as to what i missed. The pupils in my classes won't be attending the same school as me, and i would exceed through grades and GCSE's like i always aimed for, a fresh beginning sounded perfect. However after a few meetings trying to persuade my school to help towards my Child Plan, they came to a final decision that they would not accept me back.

My parents emailed and tried to convince other schools if they would allow me to repeat year 10/11 or sixth form and be able to take my GCSE's regarding my situation, with evidence and the support of professionals, but they gave the same answer as my previous school, "no". Since there was no hope everyone eventually gave up, i too gave up, but not completely. I got accepted into a college recently, however i'm only allowed to take maths and english functional skills and then AS which i was not hoping for. Even if there's a slight chance and i'm asking for too much but i want to do all my GCSE's and then move on to A-Levels, i mess up a lot and so i ruin my chances but i expect and hope to get to where i want to be and of course i need to work hard on my grades and progress.

If you know any schools that allows 16 year old students to retake year 10/11 or sixth forms that let u take ur GCSE's, could u please recommend? Thank you.

What area do you live in?
Reply 2
The main route is probably to study a Level 2, which is equivalent to 5 GCSEs, and do GCSE English and maths. You could also self study your GCSEs and then sit the exams as an external candidate. Sadly most schools won't accept you because of your age.
Original post by Goldiepop
What area do you live in?

Birmingham
Original post by Empty Silence
Birmingham

Sorry youre going through this - I personally don’t know any schools in Birmingham but maybe it’d be worth writing to your local council?
The new GCSEs are harder. I can just see the future.

Life is just getting harder.
There's more depression because of school work.

Quick Reply

Latest