The Student Room Group

Where could these A-Levels take me?

Hi,
I’m currently in Year 12 studying Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and the Welsh Bacc. I managed to get 14 A*s at GCSE, have so far been doing quite well in assessments, but I’m really unsure as to what degree and career I want to do in the future.
When deciding my A-Levels, I had medicine in mind, and so worried about choosing anything too ‘far out’ as my fourth subject due to workloads so stuck to the sciences and maths. The problem is, I’m a little unsure on whether Medicine is for me at this moment and want to know what is out there, and start to really think about what/ where I’m going to apply to next year.
I do plenty of extra curriculars, like maths tutoring in primary schools, debate society, I’ve been to talks on science and humanities, am a student representative and have a pretty wide spread of interests. My question is: what degrees would I be able to apply to? Would I be at a disadvantage by not doing an essay based subject if I did apply to a non-science degree? What careers are open to me? What can I be doing to improve my applications? I know these are quite broad questions, but I’ve looked at various websites and forums, and haven’t seemed to find anything that really applied to me. Any advice is appreciated :smile:
the world.s your oyster with those subjects. In addition to all medical couses like medicine, dentistry, pharmacy etc you could apply for most engineering courses although some require physics. economics, computer science, accountancy and law would also be available in addition to the subjects themselves
Reply 2
Original post by a-rose02
Hi,
I’m currently in Year 12 studying Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and the Welsh Bacc. I managed to get 14 A*s at GCSE, have so far been doing quite well in assessments, but I’m really unsure as to what degree and career I want to do in the future.
When deciding my A-Levels, I had medicine in mind, and so worried about choosing anything too ‘far out’ as my fourth subject due to workloads so stuck to the sciences and maths. The problem is, I’m a little unsure on whether Medicine is for me at this moment and want to know what is out there, and start to really think about what/ where I’m going to apply to next year.
I do plenty of extra curriculars, like maths tutoring in primary schools, debate society, I’ve been to talks on science and humanities, am a student representative and have a pretty wide spread of interests. My question is: what degrees would I be able to apply to? Would I be at a disadvantage by not doing an essay based subject if I did apply to a non-science degree? What careers are open to me? What can I be doing to improve my applications? I know these are quite broad questions, but I’ve looked at various websites and forums, and haven’t seemed to find anything that really applied to me. Any advice is appreciated :smile:

Hi

Well done you on a great set of academia. If you haven’t already done so, try this useful tool from which:-
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Good Luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending