The Student Room Group

A guy who's too busy ..

So ive been dating this guy for 3 months. casual, and haven't seen each other much as we've been away and he's just so busy! he runs his own business 6 days a week.

Ive also got a busy career.

Things were great initially, effort made to text and make plans ( at some point).
He asked if I had gone on other dates.. I jokingly said yes one or two but didnt like them. he said he's not dating anyone else.

Lately, things have gotten distant, I think he thinks ill just be there and maybe taking me for granted, knowing ill see him eventually.

He takes days to text me back sometimes, and I do get that his phone is always blowing up with business.

I decided to try and make more effort because if one of us doesn't, this isn't going to work... but should I do this?

I just dont click with anyone else ive been on dates with, he's the first guy I actually want to spend time with for a very long time... but I feel like im not being a priority ( I dont need to be first - but somewhere in the middle or up there! )

after I brought up how we hardly speak in between dates, he said he will understand if I want to date other people, and he will take a hit, but said he thought I was cool about it as im also equally as busy. but that he likes me and would only rearrange plans for me.

And then, the next day after this conversation, I see he's changed up his online dating profile.

I just dont understand him ... I just dont know if I should carry on being so understanding ... or let him know that I do actually like him enough to make it work ( I feel like he might not know how I feel )

Thanks for any advice ..
Original post by Anonymous
So ive been dating this guy for 3 months. casual, and haven't seen each other much as we've been away and he's just so busy! he runs his own business 6 days a week.

Ive also got a busy career.

Things were great initially, effort made to text and make plans ( at some point).
He asked if I had gone on other dates.. I jokingly said yes one or two but didnt like them. he said he's not dating anyone else.

Lately, things have gotten distant, I think he thinks ill just be there and maybe taking me for granted, knowing ill see him eventually.

He takes days to text me back sometimes, and I do get that his phone is always blowing up with business.

I decided to try and make more effort because if one of us doesn't, this isn't going to work... but should I do this?

I just dont click with anyone else ive been on dates with, he's the first guy I actually want to spend time with for a very long time... but I feel like im not being a priority ( I dont need to be first - but somewhere in the middle or up there! )

after I brought up how we hardly speak in between dates, he said he will understand if I want to date other people, and he will take a hit, but said he thought I was cool about it as im also equally as busy. but that he likes me and would only rearrange plans for me.

And then, the next day after this conversation, I see he's changed up his online dating profile.

I just dont understand him ... I just dont know if I should carry on being so understanding ... or let him know that I do actually like him enough to make it work ( I feel like he might not know how I feel )

Thanks for any advice ..

I know that you think this guy is special and you have a connection. But you can - and will - have that with many people in the future. Hold onto that fact.

The reality is, that this guy is giving you the green light to go and find someone else. He has tried to distance himself from you, by not contacting you, but you have pursued him. Now, he is trying to be more explicit, but telling you that you can date other people. If he really wanted to be with you, he would not be encouraging you to see other people. As busy as he might be, he would be insisting that he wanted to be with you, and please don't see other people.

We all get busy from time to time. We are all negligent. If someone really cares for us though, they reply like this: "It's been insane. I'm sorry. I'll call you." And then they follow through and call and give us that time we deserve. This guy has done the reverse. No apology, and then telling you : go and be with other guys. You need to take him at his word, and go and date other guys. Turn the page. he is not deserving of you.
Reply 2
Yes I agree with you there - about how no matter how busy someone is, that they will insist to see you.

He is a different type of person; like he is always talking about future plans- like inviting me to new years etc, (which i initially found strange!) and he explained that he needs to be with someone who gets it, as that I do.

I didnt actually pursue him - ive never asked him on a date, its always been him, but albeit with long times in between. The effort ive made is ( not making a fuss when he doesnt reply to my text in days - i never send any more or call him, i just wait till he contacts me) and making the effort by travelling a bit further to meet. but thats it.
He keeps making jokes in almost a bitter way that I have been on 2 dates with other poeple whilst weve dated ... i thoight it was a joke, and kept it light hearted - but now hes suddenly using the app himself after our talk!

My question is - should i make more effort, and tell him that i do like him and dont want to date other people .. but i think reading what youve said just says exactly what my heart feels underneath it all..
Original post by LiyoS
I know that you think this guy is special and you have a connection. But you can - and will - have that with many people in the future. Hold onto that fact.

The reality is, that this guy is giving you the green light to go and find someone else. He has tried to distance himself from you, by not contacting you, but you have pursued him. Now, he is trying to be more explicit, but telling you that you can date other people. If he really wanted to be with you, he would not be encouraging you to see other people. As busy as he might be, he would be insisting that he wanted to be with you, and please don't see other people.

We all get busy from time to time. We are all negligent. If someone really cares for us though, they reply like this: "It's been insane. I'm sorry. I'll call you." And then they follow through and call and give us that time we deserve. This guy has done the reverse. No apology, and then telling you : go and be with other guys. You need to take him at his word, and go and date other guys. Turn the page. he is not deserving of you.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes I agree with you there - about how no matter how busy someone is, that they will insist to see you.

He is a different type of person; like he is always talking about future plans- like inviting me to new years etc, (which i initially found strange!) and he explained that he needs to be with someone who gets it, as that I do.

I didnt actually pursue him - ive never asked him on a date, its always been him, but albeit with long times in between. The effort ive made is ( not making a fuss when he doesnt reply to my text in days - i never send any more or call him, i just wait till he contacts me) and making the effort by travelling a bit further to meet. but thats it.
He keeps making jokes in almost a bitter way that I have been on 2 dates with other poeple whilst weve dated ... i thoight it was a joke, and kept it light hearted - but now hes suddenly using the app himself after our talk!

My question is - should i make more effort, and tell him that i do like him and dont want to date other people .. but i think reading what youve said just says exactly what my heart feels underneath it all..

You know what I am saying is the truth. I have no dog in this fight. I don't know either of you. But no man who really wants to be with a woman would be encouraging her to see other men. he would want exclusivity, and even if his time is limited, he would be calling you to give you reassurance that he is still into you. this guy is wanting the ego boost of your interest, but does not want to invest in you.

Move on. 7.6 billion people in this world, you do not need this.
Reply 4
You are right .... i suppose need to find a way to say this to him in a roundabout way to end it..
I have to say... I know people who own businesses which operate 365 days a year and I will never believe one can't find the time to talk to people he cares about.

On special occasions, that might be true for a limited time. But in general, I don't believe it.
I'm in exactly the same position as you however the guy that I have a connection with doesn't want me to date other guys. I told him how I felt and he has apologise, because he's "overworked" (I've had sex with him). I started to go on dates with other guys but it just doesn't feel the same.
Seems like he might have thought you weren't as interested as you'd had 2 other dates?
Maybe - I went with my guy yesterday huge surprise maybe he not really confident
Reply 9
well... i had a talk and said that its not making sense anymore as we hardly speak in between seeing each other let alone make plans because i dont hear from him for days .. i said its not fair on my time, as im also just as busy.

he ended up saying lets not waste any more of my time, and i can carry on with what i have to do, and that hes poor at dating, as hes new to it. he said maybe onces hes sorted himself and ive got what i need done, we could start again. and made another joke about me dating other people.

i said, if someone rrally wants to make it work they will somehow, and i dont need to see him all the time.
he said he does, but then i didnt hear anything back after that.

im really confused, and im left feeling no more wiser about how he really feels about me ... i feel like this is his way out, or he genuinely just wants to stop being unfair on me and is letting me go

part of me wants him to fight for it, and to fight to keep me..

:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending