The Student Room Group

What rights does a teacher have?

So today when I was in school selling sweets to my friends a teacher approached me and went in my bags and searched it(without my consent) and took all my sweets which are my possessions because it is against the school rules to sell. Is this legal and what rights as a student do I have? Thanks
Stop being a brat, you are going against the rules. She may have taken the wrong approach but she got the right result
Also she does have the right do check you without reason so its your fault for breaking the rules.
Reply 3
what do you mean selling sweets. like candy or is that code for something i'm not cool enough to know?

if i were you, i would talk to someone on Monday just to find out the rules. is there a guidance counsellor you can speak with, or who do you trust that would tell you the truth?
You knew it was against the rules, stop moaning.

Sell the sweets at break/lunch if you are trying to make money.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
So today when I was in school selling sweets to my friends a teacher approached me and went in my bags and searched it(without my consent) and took all my sweets which are my possessions because it is against the school rules to sell. Is this legal and what rights as a student do I have? Thanks

Schools have a shocking amount of power and authority with things like this. I swear in at least some respects they are able to do more than the freaking police! I have not checked this specifically, but I do know that they can take and search a phone without concent or making any record of it as long as they have a reason like suspecting bullying or other inappropriate behaviour. I suspect the same applies to this. You were breaking rules so that gives them the authority to search and confiscate.
Maybe contact your head of year/ student support/similar to ask what the situation is with getting your stuff back. Just be willing to accept that you were in the wrong and don't try to shift blame or anything. That won't go down well and could likely make them buckle down and not give your stuff back or give you a worse punishment etc.

You broke the rules and these are the consequences (even if it is a bit rediculous that they can do that). Next time check the rules before breaking them.

Quick Reply