The Student Room Group

Personal statement for midwifery

how many characters minimum for a personal statement? I know the maximum is 4000

Also, how many paragraphs should it be? How should I structure it?

Please help x
bump
theres no minimum its really just on how much you think is enough

theres no set structure but what i noticed for medicine was that it usually followed something like this

Intro (motivation)
work exp
volunteering
books extra knowledge etc
extra curriculars (i doubt this is that important for midwifery)
conclusion

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Midwifery_Personal_Statements
Oh thank you.
So paragraph 1 can Be why I want to Be a midwife
And what the role is about?

Paragraph 2: about my work experience

Paragraph 3: my subjects and how it relates to midwifery?
Original post by Rainfall
Oh thank you.

That would be good but don't talk about what the role is about because they already know that. Talk about how you're suited to be a midwife and urs skills for that profession. Talk about ur extracurriculars as well- they always want to see that u're an all rounded person
Oh thank you.

First 2 paragraphs are good.

I wouldnt bang on about your subjects as I doubt they really show you much (if they do then by all means write about them) Have you done any volunteering? Or read any books / spoken to midwifes about the stresses of the job? these are good things to mention.

Extracurricular stuff should be touched on at the end just to show you can manage stress but thats it, it won't make or break your application.
Original post by astroworld
That would be good but don't talk about what the role is about because they already know that. Talk about how you're suited to be a midwife and urs skills for that profession. Talk about ur extracurriculars as well- they always want to see that u're an all rounded person

I don’t do any extra curriculars

But I’ve done psychology and I could relate the mental health side to midwifery. Also done health and social. So wouldn’t they want to know what I’ve learnt and how it applies to the role of midwifery?

But I’ve done psychology and I could relate the mental health side to midwifery. Also done health and social. So wouldn’t they want to know what I’ve learnt and how it applies to the role of midwifery?

yeah thats good stuff
btw, how do I get a professional to give feedback on my PS if I have no teacher to help me write it?
btw, how do I get a professional to give feedback on my PS if I have no teacher to help me write it?

i dont know about that. i personally asked ny admissions tutor
Thanks for the quick help :smile:
Reply 11
The minimum is 1000. But if you actually sent off a PS with 1000 characters that would be taking the piss.

Mentioning the subjects you take is a tricky one. Sometimes it's good for when your chosen course is leading on from them, and there's an aspect in the subject that really got you interested in it. If you rattle through each subject you could just end up wasting space.
Like, I mentioned physics A-level in my personal statement for physics because it sort of opened up the subject and allowed me to see it in a new light. Was there something like that for your subjects?

If you've got relevant work experience, great - talk about what it taught you. Don't just simply say you did it without expanding on it.

You are going to want to have some paragraphs, at least to make it easy on the eyes. 4000 characters and 47 lines (you'll probably hit the line limit before the character limit; mine was 3700-ish at the line limit) isn't a lot, but it's always enough. If you've run out of space, there's probably something you can trim down.

Try the reviewing service on TSR.
Original post by Sinnoh
The minimum is 1000. But if you actually sent off a PS with 1000 characters that would be taking the piss.

Mentioning the subjects you take is a tricky one. Sometimes it's good for when your chosen course is leading on from them, and there's an aspect in the subject that really got you interested in it. If you rattle through each subject you could just end up wasting space.
Like, I mentioned physics A-level in my personal statement for physics because it sort of opened up the subject and allowed me to see it in a new light. Was there something like that for your subjects?

If you've got relevant work experience, great - talk about what it taught you. Don't just simply say you did it without expanding on it.

You are going to want to have some paragraphs, at least to make it easy on the eyes. 4000 characters and 47 lines (you'll probably hit the line limit before the character limit; mine was 3700-ish at the line limit) isn't a lot, but it's always enough. If you've run out of space, there's probably something you can trim down.

Try the reviewing service on TSR.

someone has just read my ps so far and they said it looks like a CV...
where can u find the reviewing service? Can’t find it anywhere

Ohh okay. I talk about my experience like what I did as a care assistant and show what skills I’ve gained from it that relates to midwifery right? Can I talk about my experience working in a charity shop too?

Well I was thinking... psychology and learning about mental health and about child development. Sociology I was thinking, maybe talking about feminism a little bit? Health and social care, talks a lot about babies and midwifery.
Reply 13
someone has just read my ps so far and they said it looks like a CV...
where can u find the reviewing service? Can’t find it anywhere

Ohh okay. I talk about my experience like what I did as a care assistant and show what skills I’ve gained from it that relates to midwifery right? Can I talk about my experience working in a charity shop too?

Well I was thinking... psychology and learning about mental health and about child development. Sociology I was thinking, maybe talking about feminism a little bit? Health and social care, talks a lot about babies and midwifery.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4237154

If your PS looks too much like a CV, try to keep in mind: you're applying for an educational course, not a job. It's a subject you're being taught. So explaining why you'd be a great midwife and all that won't be as helpful for applying to university, because they're teaching you, not employing you. You' should talk about why you want to learn about it. If that's because you want to be a midwife and you respect the job, great - say why.

Ultimately it's up to you what you write about. But if you end up having to force links between experience and the subject, you probably shouldn't mention it. You should be honest - when you read it over, you should be agreeing with it.
Original post by Sinnoh
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4237154

If your PS looks too much like a CV, try to keep in mind: you're applying for an educational course, not a job. It's a subject you're being taught. So explaining why you'd be a great midwife and all that won't be as helpful for applying to university, because they're teaching you, not employing you. You' should talk about why you want to learn about it. If that's because you want to be a midwife and you respect the job, great - say why.

Ultimately it's up to you what you write about. But if you end up having to force links between experience and the subject, you probably shouldn't mention it. You should be honest - when you read it over, you should be agreeing with it.

Ohhhhh I see why they said that. I was talking about how I’ll be a great midwife and all that.

Thanks !!!
Reply 15
Ohhhhh I see why they said that. I was talking about how I’ll be a great midwife and all that.

Thanks !!!

np. Good luck with the rest of it
Original post by Sinnoh
np. Good luck with the rest of it

Thanks x
its odd how i did mine exactly this lol
how many characters minimum for a personal statement? I know the maximum is 4000

Also, how many paragraphs should it be? How should I structure it?

Please help x

I'd recommend that you take a look at our nursing and midwifery personal statement guidance which you can find here which should be helpful to you in terms of structure and content:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5550452

Quick Reply