The Student Room Group

AS Further Maths advice

I began taking AS Further Maths at the beginning of year 13 to help with my Cambridge application, but I was rejected for an interview. I think I want to drop it now but my UCAS application has already been sent off with a prediction and reference etc. and I have received offers already from universities (but none of them incorporates the further maths), what should I do?

I have contacted my teachers at school but since it's the weekend, I doubt they will respond until Monday.

Personally, it's not much extra work on my shoulders but I feel I can dedicate that time to my weaker subjects (Physics + Chemistry) and push those up to A*s instead.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
What subject are you doing at university? For me, I'm doing single maths a level (and physics and biology) and currently applying for physics at university. I've been told to catch up on further maths mechanics and some pure maths before university so its easier when I get there. If you want to do maths or physics at university, I would stick with further maths. However further maths would not help much more than single maths for a chemistry degree, so I'd be inclined to drop it if you're applying for chemistry.
Reply 2
I'm applying to do aerospace engineering with an industrial year.
Reply 3
Original post by Guarddyyy
I'm applying to do aerospace engineering with an industrial year.

That's a tough one - engineering does use a lot of maths and so further maths would definitely help, but you will learn the necessary maths beyond single maths in the degree if the requirement is just single maths.
If you feel spending more time on it will drop your other grades it might be better to spend more time on the ones that actually determine if you meet your offer -depends if you feel you can manage them all.
Original post by Guarddyyy
I began taking AS Further Maths at the beginning of year 13 to help with my Cambridge application, but I was rejected for an interview. I think I want to drop it now but my UCAS application has already been sent off with a prediction and reference etc. and I have received offers already from universities (but none of them incorporates the further maths), what should I do?

I have contacted my teachers at school but since it's the weekend, I doubt they will respond until Monday.

Personally, it's not much extra work on my shoulders but I feel I can dedicate that time to my weaker subjects (Physics + Chemistry) and push those up to A*s instead.

You need to tell all your unis that you are dropping F Maths. If you don't then your results won;t match what they are expecting ... offers have been made on the basis of what you said you were studying.
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think in terms of engineering, it definitely does use a lot of maths (I've heard from people that it's basically further maths for the first year). If my grades do begin to drop, then I will drop further maths straight away and notify the universities. I have key assessments coming up in a few weeks so I'll see how I do in those.

Quick Reply

Latest