The Student Room Group

Should I cancel my test?

So I've been learning to drive for one and a half hours a week since April ( Quite a while but quite a slow learner when it comes to driving )

Anyway my test is in a week and a half and I wake up and go to bed feeling sick when ever I remember it. In my lessons im fine but I still make errors every now and then but nothing really major, just a bit off putting having driven for quite a few hours now.

My question is, should you be doing nothing wrong to take your test? If you have taken your test, in the lessons prior, did you still make a few mistakes? Do you ever really feel ready?
The quick answer to your issue is you never feel ready. I failed once already and it was devastating. If you do fail that's fine man it happens literally every day of the week. Every time I'm on a lesson I make mistakes but that's what lessons are for, I'm gonna say that the test is to just see you're safe enough to be on the road with other road users. Just be cautious but not overcautious.

The first test I had I edged forward on a busy dual carriageway just a bit and my examiner put the breaks on. Even though I wasn't going to emerge because I was a bit away from the give way lines. It happens, man.

Don't cancel it otherwise you'll regret it I have my 23rd this Friday so fingers crossed and also good luck to you!
(edited 5 years ago)
You never feel ready! On my third test (the one I passed) I still felt sick thinking about it, in fact I feel a bit sick thinking about it now, 2 years later haha
If your teacher thinks you’re ready, go for it! If you fail, it’s not the end of the world, it just gives you extra practice and you know what to expect next time
Everyone makes mistakes, I wouldn’t cancel it, just go for it and get it over with, the longer you put it off the worse it will be
Good luck! :smile:
Don't cancel it! Trust me that you just need to go for it and see what happens. I already failed due to always stressing over the fact that I'm sitting next to an examiner, but to be honest you just need to tell yourself "it's just another driving lesson" and carry on doing everything that you've been doing on your driving lessons. Always remember that a mistake could only be a minor or even nothing, so don't feel discouraged if you stall or if you're taking your time to make a decision! - just carry on safely! Don't peek at the sheet, breathe and get yourself Rescue Remedy drops from Boots if you feel very overwhelmed with situations like this.

Also, I find that not telling anyone about your exam makes it less stressful - well at least for me. If you have told someone, try not to think what will happen if you fail. The truth is nothing will happen, you will keep your head up and carry on! Don't feel pressured to pass the first time because it doesn't matter if you pass it then or after 5 times... what matters is that you WILL get your license and that you will stay safe on the road. You will do just fine whatever the outcome will be! xx
Reply 4
Original post by lucasdurkin
The quick answer to your issue is you never feel ready. I failed once already and it was devastating. If you do fail that's fine man it happens literally every day of the week. Every time I'm on a lesson I make mistakes but that's what lessons are for, I'm gonna say that the test is to just see you're safe enough to be on the road with other road users. Just be cautious but not overcautious.

The first test I had I edged forward on a busy dual carriageway just a bit and my examiner put the breaks on. Even though I wasn't going to emerge because I was a bit away from the give way lines. It happens, man.

Don't cancel it otherwise you'll regret it I have my 23rd this Friday so fingers crossed and also good luck to you!

Okay thank you. I see that's frustrating and that's what i'm worried about , just really kicking myself if i do fail and the disappointment.

I've heard quite a bit about people failing because the examiner has had to break, even though the learner was just about to break or wasn't going to do what the examiner thought. I've heard that its good to vocalise what you're going to do or reason why you did something? Supposedly that helps.

Anyways, thanks for the reply. I won't cancel.
Good luck to you also, you'll do good!!
Reply 5
Original post by GSedgley
You never feel ready! On my third test (the one I passed) I still felt sick thinking about it, in fact I feel a bit sick thinking about it now, 2 years later haha
If your teacher thinks you’re ready, go for it! If you fail, it’s not the end of the world, it just gives you extra practice and you know what to expect next time
Everyone makes mistakes, I wouldn’t cancel it, just go for it and get it over with, the longer you put it off the worse it will be
Good luck! :smile:

Ahaha, I can imagine! Least that's all over now though. Genuinely I don't think I've ever been this nervous for any other exam…

My teacher is good but has never actually said I'm ready? To be honest I've never asked, I was just like ok i've booked a test and he was like cool that's fine.

But yeah i agree, i'll just see how it goes, and hope it doesn't snow!!

Thank you very much.
I wouldn't cancel it, and if you do fail so what? Just have another go.
I felt sick right up until my test but once I got into it I felt pretty confident so you never know what could happen on the day :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Bubblylibra
Don't cancel it! Trust me that you just need to go for it and see what happens. I already failed due to always stressing over the fact that I'm sitting next to an examiner, but to be honest you just need to tell yourself "it's just another driving lesson" and carry on doing everything that you've been doing on your driving lessons. Always remember that a mistake could only be a minor or even nothing, so don't feel discouraged if you stall or if you're taking your time to make a decision! - just carry on safely! Don't peek at the sheet, breathe and get yourself Rescue Remedy drops from Boots if you feel very overwhelmed with situations like this.

Also, I find that not telling anyone about your exam makes it less stressful - well at least for me. If you have told someone, try not to think what will happen if you fail. The truth is nothing will happen, you will keep your head up and carry on! Don't feel pressured to pass the first time because it doesn't matter if you pass it then or after 5 times... what matters is that you WILL get your license and that you will stay safe on the road. You will do just fine whatever the outcome will be! xx

Ahh that's all very true! I feel that will be me, as i get some flustered i'll most likely how to change gears or something stupid!!!

I agree with not telling anyone so at least the failure will be kept to myself haha. You're completely right though, i just hate the idea of losing the money over and over. Definitely need some rescue remedy!. Anyway i won't cancel and will just see what happens i guess :smile:

Thanks for the good advice and good luck to you! xx
I did a mock test with my intructor a week before my actual test, I got five majors and felt exactly like you.

I went to go and rebook the test a while later but I'd left it too late and either had to attend the test or cancel it without a refund.

I passed with two minors.
Original post by Okaythenhi
Ahh that's all very true! I feel that will be me, as i get some flustered i'll most likely how to change gears or something stupid!!!

I agree with not telling anyone so at least the failure will be kept to myself haha. You're completely right though, i just hate the idea of losing the money over and over. Definitely need some rescue remedy!. Anyway i won't cancel and will just see what happens i guess :smile:

Thanks for the good advice and good luck to you! xx

Trust me I’m in the same boat! I still haven’t passed, but I’m positive that it will happen because .... IT WILL! It’s so frustrating paying for lessons, exams and looking at your car sitting there waiting, but you just have to see it as an investment x It will all be fine x
Original post by Okaythenhi
Ahaha, I can imagine! Least that's all over now though. Genuinely I don't think I've ever been this nervous for any other exam…

My teacher is good but has never actually said I'm ready? To be honest I've never asked, I was just like ok i've booked a test and he was like cool that's fine.

But yeah i agree, i'll just see how it goes, and hope it doesn't snow!!

Thank you very much.

Have you done any mock tests? Ask your teacher if you can do that, and make sure you book a lesson before your test (like, the hour before) to get used to the car and get everything set up perfectly. It really helps to have some time to drive around and practise everything before the test
My teacher got a new car three weeks before my test, I remember the first time I drove it I pulled over and burst into tears because I just couldn’t get used to it, but funnily enough it was on the test a couple of weeks later that I passed
The thing I’ve always said is, get to a point where you no longer care whether you pass or not. It sounds weird, but I believe that once you stop caring whether you fail it or not you are able to just drive and forget it all and you’ll be fine! In the one I passed, I was sure I’d failed it in the first 5 minutes, so I was able to drive the rest of the time completely fine because I wasn’t bothered because I was sure I’d failed, does that even make sense lol
Anyway, I’m sure you will be fine on the day, and if you don’t pass, just treat it as a practice and you’ll feel better about the next time.

let us know how you get on! :biggrin:
driving instructors are a lot more harsh on you than the actual test
Original post by yolkie
driving instructors are a lot more harsh on you than the actual test

This is so true! From my experience I find that driving examiners don’t really say much and they won’t comment on your driving. They will probably only ask a question like “what would you be doing if you weren’t here now?”
(edited 5 years ago)
I only cancelled my tests because I felt I wasn't ready, in terms of nerves there's no beating them really, think I got 4 hours kip before I took my 2nd test. Once you actually start you'll most likely be fine.
Reply 14
Ok so I did end up cancelling it... I had a really bad lesson and started doing really dumb stuff like taking the wrong lane at roundabouts. I was also stressing because the week after I have some uni exams so I was just like no I'll just do it in January when there's nothing to think about.

Thanks for all the advice though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest