The Student Room Group

Tesco flexi contract confusion

Tomorrow is my first day working for Tesco after my induction day yesterday. I initially applied for a part time job, working 13 hours a week. At the interview I was asked to fill out an availability sheet. I didn't really understand what the purpose of it was as I thought I was just going to be working the advertised hours, and at the moment I'm doing an online course which I do in my freetime, so I just checked every box. I assumed that the availability sheet was to check that I was indeed available for the hours that I'd applied for.

At the induction day however, I'm informed that because this is a flexi job, I can be called in to work on any of the hours I stated as available at the interview- which is all of them. I did not realize this at the time, and I definitely can't work everyday because the online course takes a lot of time.

I'm wondering if anybody knows roughly how many hours I'd be expected to work on this flexi contract? Has anyone been on one before? How many extra hours were you expected to work? Do you think they'd be understanding if I explained my situation to them, and I'd be able to either just work the advertised hours or significantly reduce my availability hours?

Thanks.
Hi, I'm in exactly the same position now. Can I ask how it worked out for you? Thank you!
I'm in exactly this position now, can I ask how it worked out for you please? Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest