The Student Room Group

UCAS help

Hi there
I sent my ucas application on the 3rd of October for Cambridge, Warwick, Surrey, Loughborough and Brunel. However now I am regretting the fact that I did not put some ‘higher ranked’ unis e.g. Bath or Nottingham. Is it possible to go through extra i.e. reject all offers and still get a place? (UCAS grades are currently a* aa)
You can use Extra to shop around if your achieved grades exceed your Firm choice. You don’t need to reject your offers until you’ve to decided to accept a place through Extra. So you’re not risking anything by looking around BUT you’ll need to exceed your offers AND find places available at ‘better’ (to you) institutions at a later stage in the application cycle.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
You can use Extra to shop around if your achieved grades exceed your Firm choice. You don’t need to reject your offers until you’ve to decided to accept a place through Extra. So you’re not risking anything by looking around BUT you’ll need to exceed your offers AND find places available at ‘better’ (to you) institutions at a later stage in the application cycle.

I thought extra only applies once you reject all ur current options?
Apologies, I’m getting muddled with Adjustment, (it’s late).

Yes, with Extra you either need to have received no offers OR to have rejected all the offers you did get.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices

You just need to bear in mind that you can only apply to Extra choices one at a time and as it’s later in the cycle, there’s less chance of a higher ranked Uni still having places, but yes, it’s absolutely possible.
Reply 4
Apologies, I’m getting muddled with Adjustment, (it’s late).

Yes, with Extra you either need to have received no offers OR to have rejected all the offers you did get.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices

You just need to bear in mind that you can only apply to Extra choices one at a time and as it’s later in the cycle, there’s less chance of a higher ranked Uni still having places, but yes, it’s absolutely possible.

Haha we're all tired
But would you advise for or agantist because If i do not get into cambridge I really do not want to go to the others.
Well, if you don’t get the Cambridge offer that you’re after, and you definitely don’t want to attend any of the others then you’re not really risking anything by turning them down and going into Extra.

Extra, like Clearing, is still going to be a bit of a lottery as to where places are available. But if it’s Cambridge or nothing from your first 5 choices, you may as well give it a go.
Reply 6
Well, if you don’t get the Cambridge offer that you’re after, and you definitely don’t want to attend any of the others then you’re not really risking anything by turning them down and going into Extra.

Extra, like Clearing, is still going to be a bit of a lottery as to where places are available. But if it’s Cambridge or nothing from your first 5 choices, you may as well give it a go.

Okay that's good to know
But will the good uni's still offer places through Extra?
Well, I know that Russell group Uni’s have taken people through Extra in the past, but that’s not a guarantee that the same will happen this cycle. Extra opens on 25th Feb so it’s likely that only the most popular courses will have closed to all applications by that stage, but you’ll just have to wait and see.

Quick Reply

Latest