Turn on thread page Beta

Is it logically inconsistent to think the number zero as an infinite value? It haunts me, sometimes
    even in rare moments of sobriety, that the number zero and the negative concept of infinity are
    somehow either at related polarities or that they are merely masks of the same "quantity". Also,
    kindly point the way to sources which discuss origins of the number zero and any of its
    logical/mathematical implications.

Thank you.

Bill Coyne wrote:
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Is it logically inconsistent to think the number zero as an infinite value?[/q1]

Yes, unless you mean something different by 'the number zero' than most others.

[q1]> It haunts me, sometimes even in rare moments of sobriety, that the number zero and the negative[/q1]
    [q1]> concept of infinity are somehow either at related polarities or that they are merely masks of the[/q1]
    [q1]> same "quantity".[/q1]

Even in rare moments of sobriety, you may well think that what you've written here makes sense. But
    you're probably mistaken. If you can explain to yourself what you mean by 'negative concept',
    'related polarities', 'masks of the same "quantity" ', you may be able to answer your own question.
    At present, no-one has a clue what you're trying to say - you least of all, I suspect.

Also, kindly point the way to sources which discuss
    [q1]> origins of the number zero and any of its logical/mathematical implications.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    Try, for a start,

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~.../Zero.html#s71

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/

(Search on 'zero')

Bob

In article <[email protected] et.att.net>, [email protected] (Bill Coyne) wrote:

[q1]> Is it logically inconsistent to think the number zero as an infinite value? It haunts me,[/q1]
    [q1]> sometimes even in rare moments of sobriety, that the number zero and the negative concept of[/q1]
    [q1]> infinity are somehow either at related polarities or that they are merely masks of the same[/q1]
    [q1]> "quantity". Also, kindly point the way to sources which discuss origins of the number zero and any[/q1]
    [q1]> of its logical/mathematical implications.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Thank you.[/q1]

Only if you think that 2 = 1/2 and 3 = 1/3, etc.

Clark <[email protected]> wrote:
    [q1]> Bill Coyne wrote:[/q1]
    [q2]> > It haunts me, sometimes even in rare moments of sobriety, that the number zero and the negative[/q2]
    [q2]> > concept of infinity are somehow either at related polarities or that they are merely masks of[/q2]
    [q2]> > the same "quantity".[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Even in rare moments of sobriety, you may well think that what you've written here makes sense.[/q1]
    [q1]> But you're probably mistaken. If you can explain to yourself what you mean by 'negative concept',[/q1]
    [q1]> 'related polarities', 'masks of the same "quantity" ', you may be able to answer your own[/q1]
    [q1]> question. At present, no-one has a clue what you're trying to say - you least of all, I suspect.[/q1]

I believe I know what Bill was trying to say. My response was posted to his identical question in
    alt.math.recreational. (He also posted the same question in the Australian maths newsgroup.)

Bill: Please do not post the same question _separately_ to different newsgroups. Thank you.

David

--
    -------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ -------------------- Usenet Newsgroup Service

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.