Full of wonder (or something else)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Bill Coyne
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Is it logically inconsistent to think the number zero as an infinite value? It haunts me, sometimes
even in rare moments of sobriety, that the number zero and the negative concept of infinity are
somehow either at related polarities or that they are merely masks of the same "quantity". Also,
kindly point the way to sources which discuss origins of the number zero and any of its
logical/mathematical implications.

Thank you.
Clark
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Bill Coyne wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Is it logically inconsistent to think the number zero as an infinite value?[/q1]

Yes, unless you mean something different by 'the number zero' than most others.

[q1]> It haunts me, sometimes even in rare moments of sobriety, that the number zero and the negative[/q1]
[q1]> concept of infinity are somehow either at related polarities or that they are merely masks of the[/q1]
[q1]> same "quantity".[/q1]

Even in rare moments of sobriety, you may well think that what you've written here makes sense. But
you're probably mistaken. If you can explain to yourself what you mean by 'negative concept',
'related polarities', 'masks of the same "quantity" ', you may be able to answer your own question.
At present, no-one has a clue what you're trying to say - you least of all, I suspect.

Also, kindly point the way to sources which discuss
[q1]> origins of the number zero and any of its logical/mathematical implications.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Try, for a start,

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~.../Zero.html#s71

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/

(Search on 'zero')

Bob
Virgil
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
In article <[email protected] et.att.net>, [email protected] (Bill Coyne) wrote:

[q1]> Is it logically inconsistent to think the number zero as an infinite value? It haunts me,[/q1]
[q1]> sometimes even in rare moments of sobriety, that the number zero and the negative concept of[/q1]
[q1]> infinity are somehow either at related polarities or that they are merely masks of the same[/q1]
[q1]> "quantity". Also, kindly point the way to sources which discuss origins of the number zero and any[/q1]
[q1]> of its logical/mathematical implications.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thank you.[/q1]

Only if you think that 2 = 1/2 and 3 = 1/3, etc.
David W . Cantr
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Clark <[email protected]> wrote:
[q1]> Bill Coyne wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> > It haunts me, sometimes even in rare moments of sobriety, that the number zero and the negative[/q2]
[q2]> > concept of infinity are somehow either at related polarities or that they are merely masks of[/q2]
[q2]> > the same "quantity".[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Even in rare moments of sobriety, you may well think that what you've written here makes sense.[/q1]
[q1]> But you're probably mistaken. If you can explain to yourself what you mean by 'negative concept',[/q1]
[q1]> 'related polarities', 'masks of the same "quantity" ', you may be able to answer your own[/q1]
[q1]> question. At present, no-one has a clue what you're trying to say - you least of all, I suspect.[/q1]

I believe I know what Bill was trying to say. My response was posted to his identical question in
alt.math.recreational. (He also posted the same question in the Australian maths newsgroup.)

Bill: Please do not post the same question _separately_ to different newsgroups. Thank you.

David

--
-------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ -------------------- Usenet Newsgroup Service
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (61)
52.59%
Yes, but I want to swap them (10)
8.62%
No, but I know who I want to choose (14)
12.07%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (28)
24.14%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (3)
2.59%

Watched Threads