The Student Room Group

Help with contraception

My first and only form of contraception was an IUD from the age of 16, but after a couple years I’ve had it removed due to crippling anxiety and depression. After having it removed I don’t necessarily feel like it’s made all that much of a difference but I also have ME/CFS so it’s hard to know what’s what. I am in a long term relationship so currently condoms are being used, but these aren’t as easy as having the IUD and just forgetting about everything. I’m reading a lot of negative comments about people’s exprrimeces with long term contraceptives but obviously i don’t want to leave one for something worse or the same. The things I’m looking for are something long term (ie not having to take the pill everyday), preferably less depressive and no loss in sex drive. With ME it’s hard enough with the negative thoughts so I don’t want to end up completely losing any interest in the one thing I can still do! As I’ve never taken the pill either I’ve never had the positive breast growth and skin clearing glow up that everyone else seemed to have, so I was wondering if anyone could share any positive experiences they’ve had with long term contraceptives where they’ve experienced these!
Sorry you're going through this.

The truth is everyone's experience and reaction to contraceptives is different (everyone's experiences are mixed). I'd have a chat with your doctor and see what option you have and what they'd advise.

I also wouldn't totally reject the notion of having another try with an IUD.
I would try condoms. They are effective and don't mess with you menatally or emontionally. That's what I use.
I would advice that you stop all contraceptive as it may not ogor well with everyone since hormonal responses are different. Try a calendar method, 14th day from your menstruation is not safe and 2 days before that 14th and 2days after that 14th you are not safe. All other days, you can have safe sex.
Reply 4
On the line of long term contraception, there's obviously the implant, and coil.

If hormonal contraception is't great then I recommend the non hormonal coil.

Of course you could always use condoms, tracking and the pull out method if you don't wish to, it's entirely up to to you :smile:
Original post by Sexyblackcock
I would advice that you stop all contraceptive as it may not ogor well with everyone since hormonal responses are different. Try a calendar method, 14th day from your menstruation is not safe and 2 days before that 14th and 2days after that 14th you are not safe. All other days, you can have safe sex.

Unless you clinically know exactly when you are ovulating, there's no "safe" time of the month when you can have sex without contraception and not risk becoming pregnant. The calendar method/rhythm method has a high failure rate because peoples periods/ovulation time changes, sperm can survive inside the body and people make mistakes.

"Pulling out" is also comparatively risky as pre-ejaculate can contain semen with viable sperm. Further, people make mistakes and fail to pull out in time - also leading to a high failure rate from this approach to contraception.

Talk to your doctor about these - neither is recommended to be used instead of standard contraception by the NHS.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest