The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
saggel
So, should I send my proposal before applying?

What do you mean? Surely your proposal is part of your application?:confused:
saggel
So, should I send my proposal before applying?

Well, some universities will refuse to see it before you apply. My point is that since it falls between several camps, you will need to talk to the departments concerned to check that the subject area is something they'd be willing to take on. It might even be possible to have joint supervision across two departments, although some universities are more flexible about this than others.
Reply 22
For a PhD -as fas as I have seen- the proposal is a part of the application! However, a friend of mine has been accepted to sone Universities -well, not so good ones- by just sending his proposal for a PhD!
Reply 23
saggel
For a PhD -as fas as I have seen- the proposal is a part of the application! However, a friend of mine has been accepted to sone Universities -well, not so good ones- by just sending his proposal for a PhD!

Well, what you could do, obviously, is to try and contact potential supervisors directly, send them a copy of your proposal and ask whether they'd be interested in supervising you. Don't just send the proposal to the faculty, though.
Reply 24
Dissertation proposals aren't part of all the applications in the US. From person experience, I'd say only about 10-20% of the colleges ask for it (mostly because they don't expect you to have a masters before you start a doctorate program).

Applying to programs like Harvard and Yale and expecting to get in is a bit silly. You could be perfect in every way and your chance of getting in would be in single digits. I'd recommend looking at the top 30-40 programs, applying to perhaps 1 in the top 1 (you might get lucky), and then applying to at least half a dozen colleges between 11 and 40 (maybe one slightly lower as an insurance). Not sure how one can mix politics, computer science, and business to be honest. It will be one heck of a time trying to find a faculty advisor with the same interests. That's not to say it's impossible, but it will certainly complicate things.

Drogue
Depends. US is more expensive and longer, but you'll get more teaching experience and it's generally better regarded.

Actually, most of the decent US colleges fully fund a vast majority of their Ph.D. students. This is as true of the big public colleges as it is of the good private colleges.
hi dear hv u got admission to any university?????.
i m from india
i hv completed my masters (part-time) and wish to make phd in e-govt like u...
kindly help.
Reply 26
Send me a PM with your e-mail address to send you some information!
Dear Seggel,

Thnks for your response. my PM is don't post your email, please, as indicated by the site rules kindly send me information with you. which university did you joined????
Reply 28
dear seggel ,

kindly send me some details on how to get admission for phd program. awaiting your response. Please don't post your email - you can PM it to him if you'd rather

thankx

Latest

Trending

Trending