How to exceed in English Literature!????

Watch this thread
username3506416
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
*closed thread*
Last edited by username3506416; 3 years ago
Kilam_Namoan
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ariel2611)
Hello
So I'm doing A2 English Literature right now and I'm constantly at a grade B (sometimes A). I don't know HOW to get to that A/A* and stay there consistently.....

My A levels exams are only months away and my mocks are very soon too!

My writing style is weak apparently / not consistent.
How do I get the A*?

How do I change my writing style like those who achieve the high grades?

What I've noticed is that when they are writing they are much more confident and use good vocabulary / key terms / key words that boost their marks... How do I do that?

Any advice please!?

Thank you
Only months away? You got 6 months. Gave me a heart attack. With Eng Lit- look at what AO's (and ho much weight each has) before answering the questions- keep those in mind. You don't necessarily need big words- but it is important to know some key terminology (learn some by heart).

But mainly- just practice, practice and practice. Know all your context and critics/critical theories and learn to weave it all together.
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yes, you will need to know some key literary terms - you'll need to know the difference between what a simile is and what a metaphor is, for instance. But, as the poster above says, this is not just a case of showing off your vocabulary. (In fact, there are many students one, a well known YouTuber I could mention who tried and failed to get into Oxford, who constantly peppers her conversation with what she imagines to be sophisticated vocabulary - the problem is, she does not know the appropriate way to use these words and comes off looking both ignorant and pretentious as a result.) Use simple terms you are comfortable with, but make your arguments sophisticated.

If you want to do well, know the text really, really well. Write a well structured essay, that sign posts your key arguments. Use appropriate quotes to illustrate your arguments. Do not be afraid to take issue with literary criticism, as long as you can go back to the text and back up your argument. try and develop your own thoughts here, rather than just relying on what your teacher has told you.

The more you read, the more your practise writing essays, the sharper your arguments will become. Writing is a discipline, as much as anything else, but you need to develop that muscle. read around the texts if you really want to do well. This will also help if you are intending to study English Literature at university, as you will be asked "what, aside from your core texts have you been reading?' For instance, if you are reading "Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen, for your A Level, read a couple of her other novels. You can then throw in references to your wider frame of knowledge, such as: "this is typical of Austen's writing, as she also relies on the use of irony in "Sense and Sensibility" and "Pride and Prejudice". You aren't going off piste, doing an exploration of what is irrelevant to your examination of 'Mansfield Park", you are merely broadening out the scope to demonstrate your knowledge.

I hope that helps. keep reading though, and keep striving to improve. You will get there if you keep practising,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads