The Student Room Group

im silly and need help

a square has lengths (7x-3) and 3(x+1).
find x
Reply 1
Original post by sunflower69
a square has lengths (7x-3) and 3(x+1).
find x

Should be fairly straightforward, what are you stuck with?
Obviously, if its a square, both sides have the same length ...
Reply 2
Original post by RazzzBerries
7x - 3 = 3x + 3

7x = 3x + 6

4x = 6

x = 6/4

Maths is definitely NOT my thing. If this was a massive fail, I'm so sorry. Hopefully this bumps the thread so a good mathematician can check if I'm right or talking complete shizzle.

Even for simple problems like this, the aim is to try and get the OP to do the working. They'll learn more that way.

As an aside though, if you're unsure about your answer, sub it back into the original equation and check that both sides are equal. That will tell you whether you have made a mistake or not.
Original post by mqb2766
Even for simple problems like this, the aim is to try and get the OP to do the working. They'll learn more that way.

As an aside though, if you're unsure about your answer, sub it back into the original equation and check that both sides are equal. That will tell you whether you have made a mistake or not.

OK, I'm sorry. I thought I might try it and see whether OP would make any sense from my working, but you are right.

Thank you.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Should be fairly straightforward, what are you stuck with?
Obviously, if its a square, both sides have the same length ...

oh yea its a square, told you i was silly
Reply 5
theres another q that im not sure about

70 students eat only an apple or only a banana. 4/5 of these 70 students eat only apples. The number of students that eat apples is three times the number that eat bananas. Complete the Venn Diagram

so 4/5 of 70 = 56 number of people in the apple circle
70 - 56 = 14 number of people in banana circle

how do you work out the number of people in the overlap?
Reply 6

70 students eat only an apple or only a banana. 4/5 of these 70 students eat only apples. The number of students that eat apples is three times the number that eat bananas. Complete the Venn Diagram

With the question you gave, there is no middle. You said 70 students eat ONLY an apple or ONLY a banana, so there isn’t any students that eat both. Correct me if I’m wrong

let the part which overlaps be x
hence solve for x
(edited 5 years ago)
volume of pyramid = 1/3 base area x perpendicular height
Attachment not found

Mate, is this your homework you’re getting people to do? 😂
F53F9ADE-49FA-4550-B063-97F3E9F60FD6.jpeg
(edited 5 years ago)
F53F9ADE-49FA-4550-B063-97F3E9F60FD6.jpeg

At least try yourself then we'll guide you.
BD^2 = 12^2 + 12^2 = 288

1/2BD^2 = 144

25^2 - 144 = h
h = root 481

1/3 base x height
1/3 144 x root 481 = 1050cm^3 (3sf)

where did i go wrong tho
BD^2 = 12^2 + 12^2 = 288

1/2BD^2 = 144

25^2 - 144 = h
h = root 481

1/3 base x height
1/3 144 x root 481 = 1050cm^3 (3sf)

where did i go wrong tho

As bolded.
Original post by RazzzBerries
Maths is definitely NOT my thing. If this was a massive fail, I'm so sorry. Hopefully this bumps the thread so a good mathematician can check if I'm right or talking complete shizzle.

Please edit your post - full solutions are not allowed - please read the rules :smile:
Original post by BobbJo
it's not 56 in the apple circle
it's 56 in the part of the apple circle which doesn't overlap with the banana circle

Please stop posting full solutions.
Original post by Muttley79
Please stop posting full solutions.

not a full solution i didnt give the value of x. btw I don't ever post full solutions. "stop posting" implies everytime I answer a question I post a full solution. this is fake. i'm just trying to help people.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BobbJo
not a full solution i didnt give the value of x. btw I don't ever post full solutions. "stop posting" implies everytime I answer a question I post a full solution. this is fake. i'm just trying to help people.

Read the rules - we are just supposed to give a hint - you did far more than this!
Original post by Muttley79
Read the rules - we are just supposed to give a hint - you did far more than this!

i edited it. please confirm that it's okay now
Original post by BobbJo
i edited it. please confirm that it's okay now

Yes, thank you - of course any letter could be used as 'x' :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest