Extinction Rebellion bring London to a standstill Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Extinction Rebellion, a new protest group campaigning on the global extinction event and climate destruction, blocked bridges and roads in central London today, bringing the city to a halt.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...mate-rebellion

The group has three key demands:

1/ The Government must tell the truth about the climate and wider ecological emergency, reverse inconsistent policies and work alongside the media to communicate with citizens.

2/ The Government must enact legally binding policy measures to reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2025 and to reduce consumption levels.

3/ A national Citizen’s Assembly to oversee the changes, as part of creating a democracy fit for purpose.
https://rebellion.earth/

Many people don't realise how bad the global situation now is - at least partly because our governments want to hide it from us. In the UK, reactionary politicians have made leaving the EU the #1 political topic, when it is actually trivial compared to the real crisis. Mass media follow the lead given by these politicians, who act on behalf of global financial capital interests.

Full marks to this new movement for focusing on what really matters!
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Good on them.

Nature > 'growth-at-any-cost', neoliberal hellscape.
username3883544
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
If you drive in central London then I have little sympathy if you were disrupted. There is something called London Underground, and this thing called walking.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
it is too late for our ghastly species. we are doomed.
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I blame The Guardian for this, they're a terrible influence on the young.

3/ A national Citizen’s Assembly to oversee the changes, as part of creating a democracy fit for purpose.
Priceless. Still, it's good to see the fire burning but there is this thing called the real world, where the people they disrupt are trying to get on with their lives. Not fair, too self-indulgent. Presumptuous, even.
Last edited by username1738683; 7 months ago
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by DSutch)
If you drive in central London then I have little sympathy if you were disrupted. There is something called London Underground, and this thing called walking.
There aren’t many private cars in central London, this will just hold up buses, delivery lorries, maybe even emergency services. Given how slow London traffic is and how often these silly protests happen it’s of pretty much zero significance.
username1738683
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
There aren’t many private cars in central London, this will just hold up buses, delivery lorries, maybe even emergency services. Given how slow London traffic is and how often these silly protests happen it’s of pretty much zero significance.
Yes but that is in the real world...
username1738683
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
People's opinions on pollution are all welcome and all that but things like causing a massive spike in London's daily rate in the name of combating it is the type of inconsistency that makes it all a bit confusing. Bringing traffic to a standstill and causing jams all over has, in real terms, resulted in an increased pollution level that many people had to breathe in on their daily business. People delayed and disrupted everywhere, that is all that has come of it.

This type of self-centered behaviour is what we call anti-social and it shouldn't be promoted or tolerated, plenty of alternatives on how to set out to change the world. Parts of the media promoting it should be put on a watch-list and the state broadcaster ought to be reminded of their responsibilities, education system to undergo a full review. That's the right-wing for you.
DrMikeHuntHertz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Irony being that it will cause even more pollution as people leave their engines on waiting...
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz)
Irony being that it will cause even more pollution as people leave their engines on waiting...
Not the most convincing of points, a small spike in London's overwhelming diesel pollution that probably is exceeded every day by the actions of Uber. people parked in bus lanes or minor breakdowns at important junctions.

So many people are deluded that everything is business as usual, whilst in fact we are in terminal decline and the survival of the human race is now deeply threatened by our own activities.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
it is too late for our ghastly species. we are doomed.
Back to your cave Bear. Some of us care enough to want to try.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
they are going to have a real shock when they reduce carbon emissions to 0, and the climate keeps warming...
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
they are going to have a real shock when they reduce carbon emissions to 0, and the climate keeps warming...
At current trends, that might actually be the case, as demolition of the world's forests means that the usual natural process of converting CO2 into oxygen and plant matter is significantly reduced, whilst existing increases cause methane release in Siberia and other places.

Of course, you were making a flaky point about the alleged non-existence of human-induced climate change - you are welcome to your comforting religious beliefs, but you shouldn't try to pretend they have factual backing.
Mr Aitch
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Pull that sh*t on a weekday, and commuters will likely throw you in the Thames.

A
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
At current trends, that might actually be the case, as demolition of the world's forests means that the usual natural process of converting CO2 into oxygen and plant matter is significantly reduced, whilst existing increases cause methane release in Siberia and other places.

Of course, you were making a flaky point about the alleged non-existence of human-induced climate change - you are welcome to your comforting religious beliefs, but you shouldn't try to pretend they have factual backing.
your wrong in your assumptions about me - I do 100% believe in man-made climate change

I also 100% believe in natural climate change.

Both are observable facts that can't be disputed. Our climate has been in periods of cooling and warming for all of observable history. We have the ice samples to show the warming and cooling going back tens of thousands of years - most importantly the great warming that happened 11,000 years ago after the last ice age, and most recently the two cooling periods (mini-ice-ages) that happened during the past 2000 years. Equally there is an abundance of evidence to suggest that we have an effect on the climate, and we are currently causing an unatural warm period.

What I dislike though, is when people (like some of the protestors) don't put the climate issues into a longer timeframe. The amount of people I talk with who presume that the world is X temperature, and that men are warming it.. and if we stop producing CO2, then it will stop warming and stay at X temperature.. which is 100% wrong. In reality we are in a holocene period at the moment, and in terms of longer trends, we are expecting another great cooling to happen next. The climate will not stop changing when we stop polluting, there will be warmings, and coolings, the sea levels will go up and down (they have already risen and fallen by hundreds of feet since humans have been around).

My position is always: yes, lets polute a bit less.. lets not make the situation worse. BUT lets focus more on understanding how the natural climate works, and why it heats and cools on its own. and most of all lets focus on building societies that are flexible enough to deal with the cooling and heating, rather than communities that are fixed and non-flexible in the face of a shifting climate.

Its why I don't get behind protests like these. They sell people the idea that if they do X, the climate will not change and hurt them. Which is a lie - and a dangerous one, because it fools people into believing that all they need to do is X, to be fine.. when actually we as a society need to go far beyond just stopping polution, if we want to avoid climate catasrophy.
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 7 months ago
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)

Whilst in certainly not in a position to argue the scientific basis of climate change it does seem to me that we’ve been told of these apocalyptic consequences that are yet to happen.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I find it ironic that anti pollution protestors are causing more pollution in their protest.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
your wrong in your assumptions about me - I do 100% believe in man-made climate change

I also 100% believe in natural climate change.

Both are observable facts that can't be disputed. Our climate has been in periods of cooling and warming for all of observable history. We have the ice samples to show the warming and cooling going back tens of thousands of years - most importantly the great warming that happened 11,000 years ago after the last ice age, and most recently the two cooling periods (mini-ice-ages) that happened during the past 2000 years. Equally there is an abundance of evidence to suggest that we have an effect on the climate, and we are currently causing an unatural warm period.

What I dislike though, is when people (like some of the protestors) don't put the climate issues into a longer timeframe. The amount of people I talk with who presume that the world is X temperature, and that men are warming it.. and if we stop producing CO2, then it will stop warming and stay at X temperature.. which is 100% wrong. In reality we are in a holocene period at the moment, and in terms of longer trends, we are expecting another great cooling to happen next. The climate will not stop changing when we stop polluting, there will be warmings, and coolings, the sea levels will go up and down (they have already risen and fallen by hundreds of feet since humans have been around).

My position is always: yes, lets polute a bit less.. lets not make the situation worse. BUT lets focus more on understanding how the natural climate works, and why it heats and cools on its own. and most of all lets focus on building societies that are flexible enough to deal with the cooling and heating, rather than communities that are fixed and non-flexible in the face of a shifting climate.

Its why I don't get behind protests like these. They sell people the idea that if they do X, the climate will not change and hurt them. Which is a lie - and a dangerous one, because it fools people into believing that all they need to do is X, to be fine.. when actually we as a society need to go far beyond just stopping polution, if we want to avoid climate catasrophy.
i found this picture in the New Scientist magazine ?

https://c3headlines.typepad.com/.a/6...dd74719970d-pi

it seems to show that the temperature goes up and down ?

:dontknow:
Trapmoneybenny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I swear... If they pull the dumbass stunt on a weekday I'll reduce the earth's population by eliminating them.

After all I care about the earth too
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Underscore__)
Whilst in certainly not in a position to argue the scientific basis of climate change it does seem to me that we’ve been told of these apocalyptic consequences that are yet to happen.
Everything is 'yet to happen' until it happens. In this case the 'apocalyptic' consequences of climate change (and environmental exhaustion/denudation/transformation) for us humans in the wealthy west are probably several generations away. I suspect our grandchildren onwards are not likely to be as sceptical or flippant as the current generations are.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who do you think will be the next PM?

Boris Johnson (192)
73%
Jeremy Hunt (71)
27%

Watched Threads