The Student Room Group

Beth’s Motivation to A*A*AA with an A* in EPQ

So this is my motivation for studying medicine at uni. I do biology, chemistry, maths and History and have just finished my EPQ
(edited 5 years ago)
:woohoo: good luck!
Thank you!
Original post by laurawatt):woohoo: good luck!
Reply 3
Good luck!
Try not to stress too much about the EPQ; I would suggest a little & often approach, unlike what I did *ahem*
The marking for it is quite generous as you can get marks in all aspects of the EPQ. What I mean by this is you may miss something required by the mark scheme in your essay however, if you cover it, even in your presentation handouts for example, you will be credited for this. Furthermore, don't skimp out on the production log, if my memory serves me correctly and depending on your exam board, you can actually get more marks from the production log than the 5000 word essay or equivalent :smile:
Thank you! Yeah I’ve been doing a maybe 3 hours a week and I’m finding it pretty manageable. Yes you are right about the activity log, my teacher says it’s the most important bit.
Original post by BethTre
Thank you! Yeah I’ve been doing a maybe 3 hours a week and I’m finding it pretty manageable. Yes you are right about the activity log, my teacher says it’s the most important bit.

Be prepared to say screw the EPQ as it's more likely to be a distraction than a help. That kind of thing isn't really valuable post the offer anyway and you don't want it on your offer and putting stupid pressure. Realistically, relevant internships and side projects are lot more valuable than saying you worked at some random shop/hospital for a few hours a week.

I couldn't get A*A*AA but I got close with A*AAA. I think I would have gotten A*A*A* if i didn't get screwed by picking the wrong modules in FM. I already got 100% in part of my Physics, Chem and Maths but got ****ed by FP3/M4. Alas I met my offer of A*AAA which is all that mattered.

If you want advice on the A-level stuff, my advice would be to take a look at the specification and gamify the learning process. Pick a certain portion of the syllabus, take a look at all the past papers for the relevant questions and see the answers. Then memorise the relevant responses. This may not be that useful for the new syllabus.
That’s amazing still, well done! The new Spec I’ve found I’ve applied this to as well (however I need to do more practice Q!) and I’ve done practice tests before the end of topic ones in class just for any last minute stuff I’ve had. My alevels don’t have modules so I should be safe on that front. We have EPQ lessons timetabled in anyway on top of my 4 alevels and then I do a little work for it in my frees hence why I still manage to do some time on it. Thank you for the advice, may I ask what you are studying?
Are you in year 12? I am and im hoping to do medicine too!
Yes I am! And hoping to do medicine too
Good luck in your exams ! What did you get at GCSE?
Original post by foxstudy
Good luck in your exams ! What did you get at GCSE?

Thank you so much! 6 9’s and 5 8’s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending