The Student Room Group

I take 4 **Tough** A-Levels AMA

:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What were your GCSE grades (and raw marks if they are in your possession) for your chosen A-level subjects?
Reply 2
Original post by gradeguesser
I’ve put asterisks with ‘tough’ because I know it’s an opinion held by some and not others...

No you did it to stir up an argument.

Try doing 4 humanities and then tell us which is tougher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did those 4 in year 12 and you really should not do all 4 of them if you aren't willing to put much effort. Which is why I dropped physics. But if you wanna be a sweatbag, then go for it. Make sure to study all the time I guess?
Reply 4
I am currently in year 12 and am taking 4 a level subjects, maths chemistry biology and physics. Ask me any questions whether it’s about individual subjects, managing subjects or just any general queries you might have. I’ll try and get back to you ASAP!

I’ve put asterisks with ‘tough’ because I know it’s an opinion held by some and not others...

Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's only year 12 anyway and just wants people to be like omg that's so hard
Original post by Tolgarda
What were your GCSE grades (and raw marks if they are in your possession) for your chosen A-level subjects?

8,8,8,7. 7 was minimum to take maths at A-Level at my college. I don’t have raw marks unfortunately my school only gave me them if i was close to a grade boundary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahaha, behave.
Original post by M4cc4n4

Yeah exactly what i was getting at😏 Nutter.
Original post by Lemonadez
I did those 4 in year 12 and you really should not do all 4 of them if you aren't willing to put much effort. Which is why I dropped physics. But if you wanna be a sweatbag, then go for it. Make sure to study all the time I guess?

Yeah was gonna drop physics, but was advised to keep it for maths and vice versa (keep maths for physics.
Bruhhh, you've barely started :laugh: Come back in two years if you get between AAAA-A*A*A*A* :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm confused? She never said her subjects were the toughest rather tough. Something being "tough" is a subjective judgment that she's made about her subjects. Yes, humanities are tougher, how does this make all the other A-level subjects easy?

Or maybe you were joking. r/woosh
Original post by M4cc4n4

Well, he failed :laugh:
8,8,8,7. 7 was minimum to take maths at A-Level at my college. I don’t have raw marks unfortunately my school only gave me them if i was close to a grade boundary.

I see. How do you feel the transition has gone from GCSE to A-level then?
Original post by JackMac2904
Bruhhh, you've barely started :laugh: Come back in two years if you get between AAAA-A*A*A*A* :laugh:

Will do.
Yeah was gonna drop physics, but was advised to keep it for maths and vice versa (keep maths for physics.

What do you really wanna do at uni? If any of the engineering, keep maths and physics. If any of the life sciences, drop physics. If maths then further maths is probably needed.
Original post by Tolgarda
I see. How do you feel the transition has gone from GCSE to A-level then?

As someone has already said it’s still very early. But so far chemistry has been the easiest transition (in terms of the work being very similar so far). Maths probably the biggest step up, but once you understand it you’ll find it a lot easier to revise, just past questions and stuff. Biology is different to GCSE, i find it has more relevance to the real world😂 If you enjoy it, you’ll get it no problem.. but don’t underestimate the work load. Physics again, quite similar to GCSE so far. How are your GCSE’s going? (im guessing you’re at GCSE?)
Original post by JackMac2904
Well, he failed :laugh:

BTEC sport is a bit different Jacky boy🤫
Original post by Lemonadez
What do you really wanna do at uni? If any of the engineering, keep maths and physics. If any of the life sciences, drop physics. If maths then further maths is probably needed.

Hopefully dentistry so i won’t be doing 4 a-levels as such. 4 AS levels (our college makes us do AS) but then will drop maths or physics. I wanna keep them to end of year 12 to see which i could possibly achieve the best grade in.
BTEC sport is a bit different Jacky boy🤫

Huh? I took maths, further maths, computer science and physics...
Hopefully dentistry so i won’t be doing 4 a-levels as such. 4 AS levels (our college makes us do AS) but then will drop maths or physics. I wanna keep them to end of year 12 to see which i could possibly achieve the best grade in.

Shame that your college forces you to do 4 AS. But if I'm being honest, to make your workload lighter, don't do all 3 sciences at the end, keep maths. Idk what dentistry requires as I haven't looked into it but doing 3 sciences is just heavy content learning. Maths isn't really about memorising content but just practice questions.
I would argue that doing essay subjects are much much tougher and take more time to study for/do homework. I'm taking Economics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths and dare I say that economics takes more than half of my time, compared to chemistry, maths and FM combined. I wouldn't say that there is much of a step up for both chemistry and maths in terms of difficulty, even in Year 13.

Quick Reply

Latest