The Student Room Group

When do people start putting up Christmas decorations?

is it too soon to put up Christmas decorations??

Scroll to see replies

My mam put them up at the beginning of November lol
Usually around the second week of December. Way too early to do it now imo
Reply 3
Original post by Max9874
Usually around the second week of December. Way too early to do it now imo

same
Why would anyone even think about putting them up before December o.o might as well put them up when it starts getting cold out.
(edited 5 years ago)
I've always found it so strange that shops start selling Christmas stuff as soon as Hallowe'en is over. And the towns over here put up the Christmas decorations last week. We put ours up at the beginning of Advent.
early december sometime. Maybe the first weekend.

You want to find the ballance between:
early enough that it feels like your effort is worth it (decorating a whole house can take quite a while)
late enough that the tree is not dead, and the magic/novelty is gone by christmas

Especially relevant if you have a real tree - too early and it will loose all its needles and be a mess by christmas.
I think the usual date is the 7th December?

Doesn't make any difference to me anyway, it upsets me, I used to like Christmas but now my life has changed, it's toxic around the people I have to live with, that doesn't like seeing anyone with a smile, jealous of other people's happiness, well a narcissist really,
I don't understand why people do it before December 1st. I know someone who put theirs up 2 weeks ago though.

We don't bother until a couple days before Christmas.
1st December.
We always went out and bought our (real) Christmas tree on the first Sunday of December. Now we're all either at uni or moved out my mum waits until we're all at home to do it, which is usually the week before. Nothing beats decorating a Christmas tree and putting a load of wrapped presents under it, even when you're a grown up and the real tree you're used to is now a fake.
Ours will be going up 1st December
I put the decorations at the end of November or the 1st december when Christmas time begins, not sooner!
My city has their christmas market up, so I've got my decorations up
You’re supposed to put them up 12 days before xmas and then take them down 12 downs after to put them up 13th and take them down 6th(i think??) nobody really used that i just put mine up at the beginning of December
Advent Sunday or 1st December, whichever is first (this year December 1st).
My neighbours went full Xmas mode right after October. I really do love their decorations thou.
I have never had them up before December, and never will. When I was living at home, and my parents were still together, we always waited until after my dad's birthday (9th) as that was what he always did growing up. I wanted to keep the same tradition but when Mum threw him out she wanted to get rid of all of his traditions, even though they were now mine and my brother's too. My dad's birthday is on a Sunday this year and we're going out for lunch, so I think I will decorate in the evening when we get home - I live with my boyfriend now so it's done on my terms.
They aren't acceptable, they may offend other cultures.
Original post by EllieS24
is it too soon to put up Christmas decorations??

Yes it is the first of December is the absolute earliest they should go up I'm not putting mine up until the 15th this year because my Birthday is on the 8th and I usually put them up the weekend after that.

Quick Reply

Latest