hi, I'm in y10 and I am struggling to revise history
can someone give me advice to revise 4 it pls
laurawatt
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i don't take history so i can't help much, but have you checked out the website Seneca Learning? It has some history courses on, and for the other subjects you are doing
Fa.ara
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
i don't take history so i can't help much, but have you checked out the website Seneca Learning? It has some history courses on, and for the other subjects you are doing
thnx
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
moving this to history for you
sqrt of 5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Fa.ara)
thnx
seneca ain't gonna help you much especially with history.
start making some flashcards or mind minds and test yourself
LukeT333
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hi, I'm in y10 and I am struggling to revise history
can someone give me advice to revise 4 it pls
I'm in Year 11 currently and I do crime and punishment along with Weimar, Cold War and Richard and John.

This course specifically is very heavy on dates, so I'd advise finding a textbooks (or the resource you have with all the information on) and go through and highlight the key dates that aren't too specific.
I bought my own textbook and I go through it and highlight key things with pens and whatnot. Textbooks also have a section on the back on exam technique which is absolutely necessary into being efficient and doing well at History in GCSE.

In terms of the content it self, here are some things I did
- Mind maps for big key sections like the prison system and people involved/reforms
- Flash cards on key people/facts
- Do quizzes on apps like memrise, there's plenty that people have created
- Timelines for each era (e.g. Early Modern) this is good for remembering the order of events which is really key for questions in the exam that involve a subject that covers the entire course (e.g. a question may ask you to make a judgement on prison systems, you would need to know all the key developments in each era)
- Make SUMMARY notes, avoid pedantic details that aren't key
- Make your own booklet with information, by stripping down the contents of a textbook into more summarised, visually pleasing (e.g. colour, fonts, pictures and formatting of some kind) display of information
- Watch youtube videos online, they're good for topics that aren't quite clear
- Record yourself explaining a topic, this is auditory learning that's good for remembering things long term if you frequently listen to them

There's more, but those are the most helpful for history that I personally use
Hope this helps
sanibonani
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I did crime and punishment last year and I wold advise you to make mind maps on each chapter with the key points ( refer to specification ) but the main thing to remember is to make connections between the different time periods and the changes and continuities that take place with types of crimes and punishments as this is what you will be asked about in the exam. good luck!
Fa.ara
Rep:
?
(Original post by LukeT333)
I'm in Year 11 currently and I do crime and punishment along with Weimar, Cold War and Richard and John.

This course specifically is very heavy on dates, so I'd advise finding a textbooks (or the resource you have with all the information on) and go through and highlight the key dates that aren't too specific.
I bought my own textbook and I go through it and highlight key things with pens and whatnot. Textbooks also have a section on the back on exam technique which is absolutely necessary into being efficient and doing well at History in GCSE.

In terms of the content it self, here are some things I did
- Mind maps for big key sections like the prison system and people involved/reforms
- Flash cards on key people/facts
- Do quizzes on apps like memrise, there's plenty that people have created
- Timelines for each era (e.g. Early Modern) this is good for remembering the order of events which is really key for questions in the exam that involve a subject that covers the entire course (e.g. a question may ask you to make a judgement on prison systems, you would need to know all the key developments in each era)
- Make SUMMARY notes, avoid pedantic details that aren't key
- Make your own booklet with information, by stripping down the contents of a textbook into more summarised, visually pleasing (e.g. colour, fonts, pictures and formatting of some kind) display of information
- Watch youtube videos online, they're good for topics that aren't quite clear
- Record yourself explaining a topic, this is auditory learning that's good for remembering things long term if you frequently listen to them

There's more, but those are the most helpful for history that I personally use
Hope this helps
thanks,
do u have any links/resources that you can send me?e.g name of text book
LukeT333
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
thanks,
do u have any links/resources that you can send me?e.g name of text book
I have this one at the moment
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hodder-GCSE...ry+for+edexcel

If you prefer a less visual and more straight forward no playing around here's a bunch of text kind of textbook then,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Punishment-...and+punishment (it's way too high in price for some reason but it'll be alot lower elsewhere like on wordery)

this one is also good
Fa.ara
Rep:
?
(Original post by LukeT333)
I have this one at the moment
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hodder-GCSE...ry+for+edexcel

If you prefer a less visual and more straight forward no playing around here's a bunch of text kind of textbook then,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Punishment-...and+punishment (it's way too high in price for some reason but it'll be alot lower elsewhere like on wordery)

this one is also good
thnx again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.71%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.11%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (72)
29.88%

Watched Threads