The Student Room Group

26 and no ambition in life, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
From your taxes.

Kidding. I live off my parents and my savings.

have you atleast applied to get a job to help them out , cause when they go you're pretty much ****ed
AMA

Did you always have no ambition? If not, when did you/why do you think you changed?
Original post by Ray_Shadows
have you atleast applied to get a job to help them out , cause when they go you're pretty much ****ed

I've had a couple of jobs. Im ****ed anyway, but I'm actually hoping I'll die before my parents do.
Original post by Throwawawaway
Did you always have no ambition? If not, when did you/why do you think you changed?

I actually used to be quite ambitious. I wanted to be a therapist, an actress, a singer, writer, all kinds of ludicrous things. Then i came back down to earth and I realised that none were possible.
I'm sorry to hear that. What is it that you do?
I used to work in retail and I hated it.

I'm a freelance writer and I work for a couple of companies writing the text for the websites they build. It's work from home and it pays really well, so I can't really get a different job as there's just no logic behind doing so - unless I can find another job that pays this much for not even leaving the house!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I'm a freelance writer and I work for a couple of companies writing the text for the websites they build. It's work from home and it pays really well, so I can't really get a different job as there's just no logic behind doing so - unless I can find another job that pays this much for not even leaving the house!

What's this job called?
I’m 27 and I feel ill
I've had a couple of jobs. Im ****ed anyway, but I'm actually hoping I'll die before my parents do.

that's unlikely to happen naturually

how do u plan to do that
Original post by yotsr123
What's this job called?

"Freelance writer" haha. I find my clients through PeoplePerHour.com and started by doing loads of little one-off jobs for people, but over the years I've settled for less clients but more work from each if that makes sense. It's great now and I earn a lot but it has taken me years to build up my reputation and contacts so not great for quick cash - I built it up while I was still at uni and then for a year or so after while I was still living at home so I had the luxury of lots of time plus few financial commitments and my parents were amazing and let me pay almost nothing while I built my business up. And now it's paid off.
"Freelance writer" haha. I find my clients through PeoplePerHour.com and started by doing loads of little one-off jobs for people, but over the years I've settled for less clients but more work from each if that makes sense. It's great now and I earn a lot but it has taken me years to build up my reputation and contacts so not great for quick cash - I built it up while I was still at uni and then for a year or so after while I was still living at home so I had the luxury of lots of time plus few financial commitments and my parents were amazing and let me pay almost nothing while I built my business up. And now it's paid off.

That sounds very rewarding, why did you say you don't enjoy it?
What's this job called?

Don't worry about this one they are known to ask stupid questions lol
Original post by Ray_Shadows
that's unlikely to happen naturually

how do u plan to do that

My mother is still youngish and healthier than me, she might outlive me.
Don't worry about this one they are known to ask stupid questions lol

Lmao. Are you the same person from 'Don't care about my appearance.' ?
Why are you stalking me lmao? Thought I finished that discussion like an hour ago.
Seems like I hit a bit of nerve XD
(edited 5 years ago)
Lmao. Are you the same person from 'Don't care about my appearance.' ?
Why are you stalking me lmao? Thought I finished that discussion like an hour ago.
Seems like I hit a bit of nerve XD

You're the one stalking my threads.
You're the one stalking my threads.

So you ARE. XD
I said have a good day and haven't replied since.
Bye now. :smile:
So you ARE. XD
I said have a good day and haven't replied since.
Bye now. :smile:

Bye :hi:
I’m 27 and I feel ill

Sorry to hear that. So do I most of the time.
That sounds very rewarding, why did you say you don't enjoy it?

It's not the job I don't enjoy. I like the job, and I've always liked writing since I was about 6 years old. What I don't like is the pressure, not being able to take holidays without being fairly sure you'll lose at least one client as they won't bother coming back to you (they don't like the inconvenience of swapping freelancers, so if I'm on holiday they often stick with the one they found to cover my work, and then often come back to me when THEY take a holiday.. it's weird). There's no actual contracts, I can just be dropped whenever - and I don't get paid for holidays at all.

I don't like the inconsistency of the wage. Most months I earn upwards of £3k, but then if, say, one of my major clients takes a 2 week holiday it's impossible to replace that income, and there won't always be notice of this so it's not like I can plan that far ahead for it. There's always work I can be doing, but if my big payers take a break, whatever I take on during that break won't pay as much - and of course I have to work just as hard.

There's also no pattern to my schedule. I have to be willing to work all hours and all days if I don't finish by the end of the working day, and if I'm working with US/Aus clients I'll have to work nights - but still be available in the day for my UK clients.

When I say I work from home, people think wow that's awesome - but in actual fact although I enjoy my actual job, I sometimes crave the predictability (both in pay and hours) of a "normal" job. But the massive drop in pay I'd have to take makes me plod on - plus I can usually work things around my schedule like if I want to go out for lunch or something during the day, or if my stepson needs picking up from school or taking to school.. and losing the "perks" wouldn't be good..

Overall, I probably work less than full time hours most weeks, but there's a lot of waiting around for jobs to be confirmed, or waiting for clients to reply to emails, so I find I spend a fair bit of my day doing housework with my phone in my pocket waiting for replies. If I've finished everything I need to do in the house, and I'm still waiting for a reply (and can't take on another project because I'm still in the middle of one) days can be quite boring - as my boyfriend and stepson are out all day, and I can't really go out and do anything if I'm waiting for client responses.

I hope that makes sense! :smile:
Do you watch blue film?? And if so how often??
From your taxes.

Kidding. I live off my parents and my savings.

Lol.

Do you have a girlfriend or boyfriend?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending