ProgressWanted
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Sorry for the duplicate post, posted in university and university courses too as I wasn't sure where would be best.

I am keen to train to become a Paramedic, I am keen to know if there are other routes I have not considered.

So far I feel the most achievable way would be to complete an access to healthcare course (Psychology, Sociology, Human Biology & Maths) or access to science course (Psychology, Chemistry, Physics, Biology & Maths) at my local college and then apply for uni after that.

Other routes I have seen are apprenticeships and via work progression. I have not seen any apprenticeships advertised locally, there are several Emergency Care Assistant roles locally but I am not experienced in this sector.

It may help to know, I am 28, have a handful of GCSEs at grade C (including Maths & English). I have worked in Retail, Customer Service and IT roles until now.

Thank You
Last edited by ProgressWanted; 2 years ago
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
ProgressWanted
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by TSR Jessica)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Thank you. I have posted this in another area too and received a response.

I'll take a look on the subject forum and see if posting somewhere else may help.
LadyEcliptic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’ve applied for university as it does seem other routes aren’t as accessible (with a lot of apprentice styles moving towards course based degrees).

So - I know a lot of people take on applied science/healthcare (which is about 2 years) to then progress further on to their specific interest.

I think it’s worth looking to what the universities want - there are varied courses (foundation and up). Also check Scotland. I think they might still train on the job.

The only other route I knew before applying (in NI anyway) was to get an EMT qualification and work up, then you would apply for the “Paramedic in Practice” programme which was a 2 year learn on the job practice and you got a qualification from the NIAS. That’s changed now. They don’t offer it, but it seems (after talking to a supervisor) that the option is there - starting off in Ambulatory care, then to EMT, but they are now trialling a foundation paramedic degree only open to EMT. They do external trawls sometimes and this is where they train you.

Hope that helps some. Might be worth checking the HCPC site and college of paramedics for alternative routes.
torihenderson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi do you know how long roughly the progression from ambulatory care to paramedic would be ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (57)
65.52%
I don't have everything I need (30)
34.48%

Watched Threads