The Student Room Group

How do I go about joining a friendship circle

So I'm a big-time introvert - I don't lack confidence when talking to people, but I'm not proactive in regards to making friends. During freshers, I went out, had loads of those drunken chats with people and got some phone numbers and snapchats. However, I didn't contact anybody afterwards and now I'm 8 weeks into my course and everybody has their own groups. The people that I do know are nice but they aren't my kind of people. I need to get into one of the groups that suit my interests. I see loads of these groups around but I feel like it's a bit late to just go up to them and latch on. At the moment, I'm stuck with a couple of people who I don't like hanging out with and I'm bored out of my mind. I keep having to ask my mates from home to come up so that I can actually go out. I also need a group soon because I want to house-share with people that I actually vibe with.
Any advice?
Original post by grayh787
So I'm a big-time introvert - I don't lack confidence when talking to people, but I'm not proactive in regards to making friends. During freshers, I went out, had loads of those drunken chats with people and got some phone numbers and snapchats. However, I didn't contact anybody afterwards and now I'm 8 weeks into my course and everybody has their own groups. The people that I do know are nice but they aren't my kind of people. I need to get into one of the groups that suit my interests. I see loads of these groups around but I feel like it's a bit late to just go up to them and latch on. At the moment, I'm stuck with a couple of people who I don't like hanging out with and I'm bored out of my mind. I keep having to ask my mates from home to come up so that I can actually go out. I also need a group soon because I want to house-share with people that I actually vibe with.
Any advice?

It's only been 8 weeks, so it isn't too late to made good friends! Have you joined any societies based on your interests? You could always go to new societies to meet new people. You do need to be proactive - start conversations, contact people, make plans. It might feel a little difficult at first, but if you keep trying, it will soon feel a bit more natural to you. You could also look to doing some local volunteering to meet people outside of university too.
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
It's only been 8 weeks, so it isn't too late to made good friends! Have you joined any societies based on your interests? You could always go to new societies to meet new people. You do need to be proactive - start conversations, contact people, make plans. It might feel a little difficult at first, but if you keep trying, it will soon feel a bit more natural to you. You could also look to doing some local volunteering to meet people outside of university too.

Yeah I think I just need to stop being lazy and actually start messaging people

Quick Reply

Latest