can i still get into a good uni with my grades? Watch

SKay26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm feeling very insecure right now after completing my personal statement and am scared of getting rejected from university because law is a competitive subject :,(
My GCSES are:
6-Eng Lit
5-Eng lang
Maths-3(resitting to get 4)
business studies-C
Science-C
Additional Science- C
Geography-D
Art and design-D
IT-C
My predicted grade for my extended btec diploma course is D*DD

So as you an see i'm not doing very well but is there still a chance because i'm literally starting to overthink since my GCSES aren't fantastic
Last edited by SKay26; 1 year ago
byeongkwans
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not very sure what the equivalent of some of those grades are because I did the old system and A-levels but I had 1 A, 5 B's and 5 C's. They weren't the best but they did the job. I don't think a lot of unis care about gcses once you have your a-level/BTEC but just make sure you meet the minimum requirements for the course.

It also really depends on which universities you mean when you say "good" and how popular the law course is there. My course, psychology is also pretty popular and I've gotten offers from these universities before: uni of Birmingham, Loughborough university, uni of Leicester, uni of Nottingham and the university of Kent. My main advice is don't let your GCSE grades get you down, I got an unconditional from Nottingham even though I didn't meet their requirement of a B in GCSE maths. Just work hard now and show progress, build a strong personal statement and maybe try to get some work experience?
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, it would help if you told us which universities you're applying to...
SKay26
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Well, it would help if you told us which universities you're applying to...
I’m applying to UEA, Reading University, Lancaster university, Sussex university, York university 😅
Neverspark7776
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unis don't really care about GCSEs that much, most just care about passes. You passed enough by the looks of things that it won't really matter so long as your A-level results are somewhat better.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SKay26)
I'm feeling very insecure right now after completing my personal statement and am scared of getting rejected from university because law is a competitive subject :,(
My GCSES are:
6-Eng Lit
5-Eng lang
Maths-3(resitting to get 4)
business studies-C
Science-C
Additional Science- C
Geography-D
Art and design-D
IT-C
My predicted grade for my extended course is D*DD

So as you an see i'm not doing very well but is there still a chance because i'm literally starting to overthink since my GCSES aren't fantastic
Yes if you meet the entrance requirements [check]. You will need GCSE maths.
MehvinJ
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You most certainly can get into a University to study law however there are a few considerations you must make prior to applying. Firstly, take into account the grade requirements of the University. This will dictate your competition thus your chances of getting in. Secondly, have you done any extra reading or masterclasses around or related to Law? This will work in your favour. Finally, remember to actually be a Lawyer you do not have to start off by doing Law. You can easily do a course in another subject then partake in a 1 year transfer course to Law. From their, you follow the path to be a solicitor or barrister. I hope you have found this useful and I wish you the best in all your exams!!!
SKay26
Rep:
?
(Original post by MehvinJ)
You most certainly can get into a University to study law however there are a few considerations you must make prior to applying. Firstly, take into account the grade requirements of the University. This will dictate your competition thus your chances of getting in. Secondly, have you done any extra reading or masterclasses around or related to Law? This will work in your favour. Finally, remember to actually be a Lawyer you do not have to start off by doing Law. You can easily do a course in another subject then partake in a 1 year transfer course to Law. From their, you follow the path to be a solicitor or barrister. I hope you have found this useful and I wish you the best in all your exams!!!
All the unis entry requirements are DDD since I’m doing btec so there’s no exams >.< but I’m gonna be doing work experience related to law since I’m only 17
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m applying to UEA, Reading University, Lancaster university, Sussex university, York university 😅
Notoriety may have some data on the average GCSEs held by applicants and offerholders who are applying to these universities

I think that you'll be fine for Reading/Lancaster/Sussex. They have a nasty tendency of lying about their entry requirements. Looking at the 2019 Law Applicants thread, they have already given out offers to people who are predicted (!) fairly unexceptional grades.
John Keats
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
they dont look at your GCSE's dude. If your A levels are much better then your gcses do not even come into the equation.
SKay26
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Notoriety may have some data on the average GCSEs held by applicants and offerholders who are applying to these universities

I think that you'll be fine for Reading/Lancaster/Sussex. They have a nasty tendency of lying about their entry requirements. Looking at the 2019 Law Applicants thread, they have already given out offers to people who are predicted (!) fairly unexceptional grades.
So what are the chances for the likes of UEA. Is there no hope🤕😭
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It has an 80% offer rate, so yes (if you meet the minimum GCSE requirements).
https://university.which.co.uk/unive...9-51e18c769e02
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I only used the other three as an example because I've seen people get offers from them on TSR. UEA is a likely choice as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (174)
48.88%
No (43)
12.08%
I'm not old enough (139)
39.04%

Watched Threads