The Student Room Group

Girls - would this make you less likely to swipe right?

I will start by saying I am reasonably successful on tinder as I'm alright looking. But I am hesitant about whether I should put anything about my education as I know a lot of people have bit of bias about science people being nerds etc etc (I don't currently include anything about it).

I have a Masters in physics and I'm wondering if including this in the bio would make you more or less likely to swipe right, all other things being equal...
more likely to swipe right :smile:
more
More :smile:
More likely, I prefer brains to beauty!
Reply 5
I was expecting more of a mixed response to be honest! Seems like I should definitely include it, although the demographic on TSR (smart girls) might be skewing the feedback slightly haha
You're going to get skewed responses on here due to most users being students - and a good portion of those STEM.
A forum full of neeks is the wrong place to ask and doesn't represent the general population. I'm assuming by you using Tinder rather than a dating app that you're just keeping it casual and the sort of girls that frequent Tinder aren't going to care about your degree, in fact as you said it might be off-putting.
Reply 8
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
A forum full of neeks is the wrong place to ask and doesn't represent the general population. I'm assuming by you using Tinder rather than a dating app that you're just keeping it casual and the sort of girls that frequent Tinder aren't going to care about your degree, in fact as you said it might be off-putting.

In my experience a huge amount of students use tinder, including STEM students, but I get your point
Reply 9
It really doesn't matter what you write almost all of the time. If you're not attractive on Tinder, you're not going to get many matches anyway.
Original post by Anonymous
In my experience a huge amount of students use tinder, including STEM students, but I get your point

Not really the point I was making. The girls aren't going on Tinder looking for a man with brains and a degree, they're looking for fun. A lot of the girls here are nerdy and virgins who probably don't quite understand how Tinder works, so again it's probably not the best place to ask.
Isn't it a bit douchey to put your academic info? I've a masters as well but I'd think it's a bit cringey to put it on any dating profile (I don't have one rn but I might in the future)
Original post by Krisis
Isn't it a bit douchey to put your academic info? I've a masters as well but I'd think it's a bit cringey to put it on any dating profile (I don't have one rn but I might in the future)

Yep, but this is TSR, where people consider "has a degree" as a positive personality trait :rofl:
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Yep, but this is TSR, where people consider "has a degree" as a positive personality trait :rofl:

It is, obviously, but it's a bit like introducing yourself to a girl at a bar as "Jim Woody, Ph.D". It just sounds douchey and nobody asked.
I'd swipe left.
Putting academic or business achievements on a dating profile gives the impression of an arrogant person.
I grew up around a lot of brilliant science graduates, most of them were unbearably condescending or obsessively seeking adherents for a new theory they had just invented.
Any mention of postgraduate/doctorate physics would make double as wary, lest I encounter another genius fanatic in the mold of piers corbyn.
Tinder mainly relies on looks anyway so it really doesn't matter what you put in your profile. if they ain't attracted to you they're not swiping right
Original post by Krisis
It is, obviously, but it's a bit like introducing yourself to a girl at a bar as "Jim Woody, Ph.D". It just sounds douchey and nobody asked.

Exactly my point, that's actually the sort of thing some folks here would do :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest