The Student Room Group

Economics degree at University

Can I get into Durham to do Economics? I am currently doing economics, maths and product design. I worried about product design as it is a ‘soft’ option. Will Durham care about me doing product design?
Reply 1
Original post by ginger0001
Can I get into Durham to do Economics? I am currently doing economics, maths and product design. I worried about product design as it is a ‘soft’ option. Will Durham care about me doing product design?

Durham's typical offers are A*AA with an A* in Mathematics. The fact that you are doing Maths and Economics is quite good. Yes, Product Design is a soft option and Durham will notice it but given the fact you have two other core subjects which they are interested in I can't see why they won't consider you. I am not an admissions tutor, so I can't guarantee you anything.
Hope this helps.
I may consider to do geography instead of product design. I will have to catch up on the geography course which may be a problem. What subjects do people who do economics at uni do? What are your views?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
I may consider to do geography instead of product design. I will have to catch up on the geography course which may be a problem. What subjects do people who do economics at uni do? What are your views? @Shiv7

A wide range of subjects to be honest. Very strong choices for Economics in particular include, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Economics, Physics and History. Subjects like Chemistry, Biology, Geography and English are good.
What are your views on swapping from product design to geography. Is geography hard? I did get an A at GCSE.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
What are your views on swapping from product design to geography. Is geography hard? I did get an A at GCSE. @Shiv7

Personally I don't do Geography but I do know people who do, one of whom got into Cambridge to read Economics. I think it depends on how hard you're willing to work. It would definitely give you a stronger application and I would say you should be able to catch up especially given the fact you're currently only doing 3 A-Levels instead of 4. From what I've heard it's not extremely hard but you can cope. I would recommend switching.
I’m not planning on doing oxbridge, but I want to get into a top uni. I do enjoy product design as it is easy and fun. But on the other hand I would like to geography as it is more academically challenging, which universities will prefer. I’m just worried about swapping to Geography as I may not enjoy it. @Shiv7
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
I’m not planning on doing oxbridge, but I want to get into a top uni. I do enjoy product design as it is easy and fun. But on the other hand I would like to geography as it is more academically challenging, which universities will prefer. I’m just worried about swapping to Geography as I may not enjoy it. @Shiv7

That's the exact issue. Product Design is easy and fun which is why univeristies look down on it. Truth be told even top universities wouldn't exactly like the subject. I would wholly recommend switching it. If you don't like Geography there are a wide range of subjects you could take instead as I mentioned earlier.
Do you think it is too late to swap this late in the term? @Shiv7
Reply 9
Do you think it is too late to swap this late in the term? @Shiv7

No.
What courses could I do with economics, maths and product design?

Subjects Economics applicants take are typically Further Maths, Physics and History. I'm taking Economics, Chemistry, Maths and FM and have received an offer from Durham to read Economics. I would recommend swapping product design with FM because most top unis see it as a strong subject for Economics. It's also not too late to start FM - I finished Maths in April of Year 12 and started FM then.
I’m not good enough for FM. I would rather swap to Geography. Is this a good idea? Can I still get in without FM? @OxbridgeRejectTT
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m not good enough for FM. I would rather swap to Geography. Is this a good idea? Can I still get in without FM? @OxbridgeRejectTT

Yes, you can provided that your predicted grades are at least A*AA. Are there any other subjects aside form Geography you are considering?
No, just geography. Just wandering if I get with product design? @OxbridgeRejectTT
(edited 5 years ago)
No, just geography. Just wandering if I get with product design? @OxbridgeRejectTT

https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?id=11562&code=L100#admissions

There is no indication that they do not accept applicants with A level product design, but it may be best to contact the admissions tutor.

If you're looking at top universities for economics, then LSE is a good reference point. It is their view that Product Design is a "common 'non-preferred'" subject and whilst it is not blacklisted by any means, you would certainly be better off taking an essay-based A-level in Geography, Politics, History or indeed a scientific A-level in Physics, Chemistry or (less so) Biology, depending on where your skills lie. It is my recommendation that you swap Product Design for any one of the above A-levels and if you do, you can be more certain of your admission to an economics course at any university of your choosing - but by no means is that to say you are guaranteed an offer from any institution.

I personally take Maths, FM, History and Economics and I received an offer from Durham a while ago. Maths, Economics and History/Geography is an equally acceptable combination if you aren't keen on taking FM.
I contacted Durham admissions by email. They said that I needed maths at A grade at alevel. They said the subjects they only don’t like are critical thinking and general studies. They seem to be find with me doing product design. I just need to meet the requirements A*AA. @CandidateZero
(edited 5 years ago)
Anyone who does economics at uni or has got offers please give me advice!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest