Physics A-Level Watch

caitlin2111
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Anyone who does A- Level Physics
I am considering doing a level physics. I’m thinking it because it’s the subject i’m best at out of the facilitating subjects. My original choices for a level were psychology, business (as it is the other subject im good at and enjoy as much as i can enjoy anything) and sociology. However I have a big interest in astrophysics, anything to do with space really. I don’t really enjoy the whole forces or electricity thing, however i enjoy doing radioactivity and anything related to space. I also then decided to drop sociology and do politics as i do economics now and i have an interest in politics. I’m still unsure whether to change one for physics as it is a good subject. As someone who is getting 8’s and 9’s (although not to great in maths) would this be suitable for me? Sorry for being so wordy.
M4cc4n4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by caitlin2111)
I am considering doing a level physics. I’m thinking it because it’s the subject i’m best at out of the facilitating subjects. My original choices for a level were psychology, business (as it is the other subject im good at and enjoy as much as i can enjoy anything) and sociology. However I have a big interest in astrophysics, anything to do with space really. I don’t really enjoy the whole forces or electricity thing, however i enjoy doing radioactivity and anything related to space. I also then decided to drop sociology and do politics as i do economics now and i have an interest in politics. I’m still unsure whether to change one for physics as it is a good subject. As someone who is getting 8’s and 9’s (although not to great in maths) would this be suitable for me? Sorry for being so wordy.
I wouldn't say Physics has particularly difficult maths, you will however spend a time on electricity (potential dividers etc, there is alot of forces in Electric And Magnetic Fields, Circular Motion, stuff like that at AS and A2.

Depending on the Board, we did some Astrophysics (very basic) like Hubble Constant, Doppler effect, Cosmological Red Shift.

You will also do about Wales, a bit about Wave-paticle quality, de broglie wavelengths etc

Just have a look at the syllabus for the board you would do and see what you think, and if you have any questions then ask.
hazza882000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m in year 12 and take bio,chem, maths and physics.. I find physics class quite relax/a good break from my other subjects because it’s less “learning” and more on understanding but I don’t find it very interesting... (quite boring actually..) like you, I’m keen on astrophysics but not the rest. Unfortunately though that is only a small portion of the syllabus. But physics is also very useful and it’s a facilitating subjects which unis like

Oh and I wouldn’t worry about the maths part too much.. if you did GCSE maths I think you can catch on ok
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
caitlin2111
Rep:
?
(Original post by M4cc4n4)
I wouldn't say Physics has particularly difficult maths, you will however spend a time on electricity (potential dividers etc, there is alot of forces in Electric And Magnetic Fields, Circular Motion, stuff like that at AS and A2.

Depending on the Board, we did some Astrophysics (very basic) like Hubble Constant, Doppler effect, Cosmological Red Shift.

You will also do about Wales, a bit about Wave-paticle quality, de broglie wavelengths etc

Just have a look at the syllabus for the board you would do and see what you think, and if you have any questions then ask.
okay thank you. the electricity topic i did find significantly harder than others. at my schools open evening they said that most of A2 was astrophysics but i’m not actually staying on at my school. when i went to the college (i’m going to) opening evening the physics teacher wasn’t there for some reason so i couldn’t ask what board it is. with physics i either find it easy or ridiculously hard. i feel like with gcse i can get away with not fully understanding all the topics but i know it’s different with a level. thank you for the advice.
caitlin2111
Rep:
?
that’s reassuring about the maths.... sucks about the astrophysics though. i really cannot wrap my head round generators and pretty much everything on the electricity topic. i’m just really lucky that i somehow manage to guess things right in the exam but i can’t really rely on that for a-level. true about it being what unis like, it’s stressing me out because i’m not really great at any other subjects that are facilitating.
BortaJaja
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
tbh you do a lot more fun physics like space and quantum in 2nd year. 1st year is pretty boring
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi I'm in year 12 and I do physics A level. I haven't been in year 12 for long because it's only November so I can only tell you based on my experiences so far.

If you are interested in any area of physics you should take A level physics. It is way more interesting than GCSE level physics. So far we have learnt about energy, quantum physics, half of electricity and materials. They've all been really interesting. electricity and energy weren't that much different from GCSE, they just built on what you already knew. Quantum physics is really interesting and will be completely new to you (unless if you've already read about it). You won't necessarily learn about astrophysics as that is an optional topic. Your school chooses which optional topic you do so you should ask your school/college which option you would be learning. Imo astrophysics is the most interesting part of gcse but there are lots of other equally interesting parts of A level.
In terms of maths, there is a lot of maths but it isn't any harder than gcse. You need to be competent at maths but you don't need to be a maths genius.

Sorry for going on a bit but hopefully this helps.
rubyft123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm in kinda the same boat (just with lower predicted grades ) and I was wondering if physics is the kinda subject where if you put enough into it, you'll do well or if it's just something you need to be good at, because I do enjoy it, but struggle to wrap my head around some of it
caitlin2111
Rep:
?
(Original post by rubyft123)
I'm in kinda the same boat (just with lower predicted grades ) and I was wondering if physics is the kinda subject where if you put enough into it, you'll do well or if it's just something you need to be good at, because I do enjoy it, but struggle to wrap my head around some of it
me too, some stuff i get but others i do find hard to completely understand. hoping it comes to me before the gcse. good luck ❤️
caitlin2111
Rep:
?
(Original post by BortaJaja)
tbh you do a lot more fun physics like space and quantum in 2nd year. 1st year is pretty boring
that’s what i got told. i just feel like if i don’t enjoy it i’m not gonna have the motivation
caitlin2111
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
Hi I'm in year 12 and I do physics A level. I haven't been in year 12 for long because it's only November so I can only tell you based on my experiences so far.

If you are interested in any area of physics you should take A level physics. It is way more interesting than GCSE level physics. So far we have learnt about energy, quantum physics, half of electricity and materials. They've all been really interesting. electricity and energy weren't that much different from GCSE, they just built on what you already knew. Quantum physics is really interesting and will be completely new to you (unless if you've already read about it). You won't necessarily learn about astrophysics as that is an optional topic. Your school chooses which optional topic you do so you should ask your school/college which option you would be learning. Imo astrophysics is the most interesting part of gcse but there are lots of other equally interesting parts of A level.
In terms of maths, there is a lot of maths but it isn't any harder than gcse. You need to be competent at maths but you don't need to be a maths genius.

Sorry for going on a bit but hopefully this helps.
it definitely did help! i’m just worried about electricity and energy. i feel like that will be difficult. i have a taster day next week so i’ll see how it goes.
M4cc4n4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
it definitely did help! i’m just worried about electricity and energy. i feel like that will be difficult. i have a taster day next week so i’ll see how it goes.
I did CCEA Physics so could only tell you about it. Energy isn't too bad but there is some circuits and capacitors etc, and it will likely come up in the practicals, however there is some astrophysics, aswell as superconductivity and stuff like Nuclear Physics and Particles Accelerators, You will do quite a bit of forces in the Electric Fields and Magnetic Fields part of the course but it really becomes second nature.

I can say, even at L1 in my Physics Course we don't touch on Astrophysics until L2, I can't really say if you do in other Uni's but that's the say it is for me.
Last edited by M4cc4n4; 2 months ago
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
They really aren't very difficult at all. They're no more difficult than GCSE but just a bit further. For me with most A level stuff in general it isn't harder, just different. You learn new things that aren't really much harder than the old things, they're just new. This is mostly the case but obviously there will be things that are harder to grasp but this is true with any A level. I may be biased because I really like physics and want to do a degree in it but really it's up to you. If you are interested in physics then you should take physics as a lot of people don't find it that interesting at gcse but find a passion for it at A level, the Youtuber alicedoesphysics is an example of this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.38%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.47%