The Student Room Group

Sixth form helpp!

So im currently in year11 and sixth form application deadlines are coming soo fast and im struggling to finalise my subject choices
So the subjects im considering are : maths,further maths, physics, politics. I knoww A-levels are difficult and im considering tough subjects but i feel like i can put the work in and achieve good grades. If you have taken or are currently studying these subjects please let me know how you found them (pros and cons). Any advice would be greatly appreciated 😁
hi, I don't study any of those, but some of my friends are and I hear A LOT about them! But honestly, other peoples' opinions don't matter because they will be at different schools/ colleges where the syllabuses will be taught from different specs in different ways... basically, don't do any subject you don't like unless you have a specific goal, and also you should know that most college and sixth forms will let people change subjects both after results day when people realise that they are better at a subject than they thought, or do not meet entry requirements and in the first few weeks of term when a lot of people realise that they've made some mistake or other. Honestly, A LOT of people change, so you won't be alone!
Reply 2
Thats really helpful thank you. Yeah im guessing if im really struggling i will defo change subjects and yeah ive picked subjects i do enjoy so hopefully i should be good. What do your study btw ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
I studied Maths and Further Maths, and they’re not as tough as you’re led to believe. For some reason, people love indulging in how tough their subjects are, and fail to see that they’re making it much harder for themselves. If you put the work in, there’s no reason you cannot get an A* in both
Original post by S.02
Thats really helpful thank you. Yeah im guessing if im really struggling i will defo change subjects and yeah ive picked subjects i do enjoy so hopefully i should be good. What do your study btw ?

I do English lit, French and History. Love my subjects but sometimes get inundated with essays to the point of disaster.
Reply 5
I bet you do. How is french ? i can kind of speak it but im not fluent and i was considering it as an option but not 100% sure
Original post by S.02
I bet you do. How is french ? i can kind of speak it but im not fluent and i was considering it as an option but not 100% sure

LOVE French! Believe me when I say I'm not fluent either, but you progress so fast in sixth form because you have so many more lessons... It is very difficult but not only do you get an A level out of it, but you also get a life skill that is in high demand by employers. Also, loads of sixth forms run exchnges, which is great, and you an revise by reading a book or watching a film, which I love. (I've watched The Addams Family, Tanguy, a house buying program and 19 days of gold all in French so far his year).
Reply 7
Original post by redmeercat
LOVE French! Believe me when I say I'm not fluent either, but you progress so fast in sixth form because you have so many more lessons... It is very difficult but not only do you get an A level out of it, but you also get a life skill that is in high demand by employers. Also, loads of sixth forms run exchnges, which is great, and you an revise by reading a book or watching a film, which I love. (I've watched The Addams Family, Tanguy, a house buying program and 19 days of gold all in French so far his year).

Sounds good I’ll have a think once again thank you so much
Original post by S.02
Sounds good I’ll have a think once again thank you so much

No problem and I hope exams go well!
Reply 9
Original post by Navier
I studied Maths and Further Maths, and they’re not as tough as you’re led to believe. For some reason, people love indulging in how tough their subjects are, and fail to see that they’re making it much harder for themselves. If you put the work in, there’s no reason you cannot get an A* in both

Yeah i get a lot of people telling me that further maths is so hard and question my subject choices but ik that at the end of the day im the one taking the exams and im willing to put in the work. How did you find further maths?
Reply 10
Original post by S.02
Yeah i get a lot of people telling me that further maths is so hard and question my subject choices but ik that at the end of the day im the one taking the exams and im willing to put in the work. How did you find further maths?

Only slightly harder than Standard Maths, if at all
Reply 11
Original post by Navier
Only slightly harder than Standard Maths, if at all

Oh alrightt. Thank you for help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending