The Student Room Group

What's an example of a "quality" newspaper?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
Any of them, they all have the same MSM agenda.

Except they clearly don't.

Compare The Sun/Daily Mail to the BBC/Guardian, for example.
You won’t find one without a bias.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
For someone using an NPC avatar, you lack self-awareness when it comes to trotting out the same tired statements again and again.

Basically. Plus the NPC meme died months ago... it was sort of funny back then but the fact they're still using it just shows how much they're screaming for attention. :/
Original post by SHallowvale
Except they clearly don't.

Compare The Sun/Daily Mail to the BBC/Guardian, for example.

Yes I agree, Sun/DM are clearly better than the BBC/Guardian.
Yes I agree, Sun/DM are clearly better than the BBC/Guardian.

The Sun/DM do not have the same agenda as the BBC/Guardian.
The Sun/DM do not have the same agenda as the BBC/Guardian.

Yes it's slightly less evil.
The Guardian isn't a quality paper.

It's a trash rag read by communists and cultural Marxists.
Yes it's slightly less evil.

For what reason do you think the BBC is less evil than the DM, for instance?
For what reason do you think the BBC is less evil than the DM, for instance?

Other way around.
Other way around.

Sorry, other way around. For what reason do you think the BBC is more evil than the DM?
Sorry, other way around. For what reason do you think the BBC is more evil than the DM?

Saville?
Original post by Mikos
. So, next year I intend to take the LNAT, and as part of the preparation it has been recommended that I read a "quality" newspaper.

Best thing to do is to go back to whoever recommended it and ask them for an example of one, it is a question subject to personal opinion of what 'quality' means. If nothing else, take it from us that there may be no such thing and that may save you a good deal of time. Who decides what is quality?

There is a natural slant to every news source, they are commercial ventures owned by someone with an inescapable set of interests and there is no reason to become indignant at it. They have their profile customer in mind and pander to them like any other business, that is not immoral. What matters is that we know where they are coming from in their reporting and once we know that... it's easy.

Another way to look at it may be to check their sales, papers like the Independent survive online only and the Guardian are in financial dire straits, begging for donations on their site. Were they 'quality' and that wouldn't be the case, I suppose.

The Racing Post is quality, if it is all about accurate reporting.
(edited 5 years ago)
For the stated purpose your best bet is probably to read both The Guardian and The Telegraph. You will get both ends of the respectable spectrum.
Reply 33
Original post by Mikos
Hi everyone! Hope you're all well.

So, next year I intend to take the LNAT, and as part of the preparation it has been recommended that I read a "quality" newspaper.

I would therefore greatly appreciate it if anyone could recommend me a few good quality newspapers, preferably without a paywall or any political leanings (even if only quite slight).

Thank you in advance! :smile:

I would say it really depends what type of news you're after. If you're after politics be it domestic or international the FT, Times, Guardian, FP etc. are the way to go.

Essentially avoid any 'rags' or the Telegraph.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending