The Student Room Group

who got good english GCSE's or is a teacher cuz im sruggling big time

In my power and conflict comparison question in class i got 15/30 which was a grade 5. Can someone give me some tips for improvement. I can send you my paper if you want.
Reply 1
Original post by TheFlash2024
In my power and conflict comparison question in class i got 15/30 which was a grade 5. Can someone give me some tips for improvement. I can send you my paper if you want.

So I did the love and relationships one 2 years ago but I think the concept is similar. You need to compare ideas AND techniques from what I remember. So for example if both poems talk about pain that could be a point to mention and you compare the techniques used to convey the idea of pain. If you wanted to show me what you’ve written I could try and give you some ideas but I’m not familiar w your anthology and they might have changed things slightly as I was the first year to do the 9-1 gcse. Hope this helped :smile:
plenty of practice essays will boost your mark and essay plans as it encourages you to think about the poems differently.
has your teacher not give you any feedback on your essay? nothing wrong with posting it on here though.
you need to make sure you're talking about all aspects of the poem- structure, technique, ideas... and in a comparative way not talking about the poems separately. you don't need context in every point but when it's relevant, include it.
Original post by chloelee
So I did the love and relationships one 2 years ago but I think the concept is similar. You need to compare ideas AND techniques from what I remember. So for example if both poems talk about pain that could be a point to mention and you compare the techniques used to convey the idea of pain. If you wanted to show me what you’ve written I could try and give you some ideas but I’m not familiar w your anthology and they might have changed things slightly as I was the first year to do the 9-1 gcse. Hope this helped :smile:

Here's My assesment. The question was: Compare the ways poets present ideas about conflict in Poppies By Jane Weir amd One other poem from "Power and Conflict". (I chose War Photographer by Carol Anne Duffy)

Response:
Jane weir presents ideas about conflict in Poppies by exploring the everlasting feelings sorrow and loss of those back home. Contrastingly, War Photographer suggests that suffering isn’t everlasting, but is quickly forgotten by those back home.

In Poppies Jane Weir uses multiple oxymoron’s to suggest that war is always on her mind. One example of this is on the second stanza where it says “Sellotape bandaged”. The use of oxymoron here links and everyday item like Sellotape to connotations of scars and injury. By doing this Weir presents conflict and war as something that is constant in her life, it shows that her loss has become a part of her and will never be forgotten.

On the other hand “War Photographer” uses a cyclical structure to depict the violence and deaths at war as carelessly disregarded. Carol Anne Duffy begins the poem with ideas of futility of the photographer’s job. She closes the poem with similar ideas “They do not care”. The use of cyclical structure shows the reader that we we should try to let war have a more lasting effect on us. Another interpretation of the structure is that it makes the reader feel pity towards the photographer, as his efforts are futile and this cycle will continue to happen again and again.

Unlike war photographer uses a less restricted structure. For example at the end of the second stanza Weir uses enjambment to speed up the poem and mimic the chaos of the mother while dealing with her los. The lack of control within the structure also mimics the mothers sorrow and how her loss will be remembered always.

In conclusion, poppies and war photographer I've explored the effects of war on the people, however Poppies suggests eternal suffering whereas war photographer suggests that the suffering of the people ends quickly.

Please can you give me some feedback on how to improve. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending