The Student Room Group

Isometry of the plane

Got 5.1, don’t understand 5.2?
Original post by Feynboy
Got 5.1, don’t understand 5.2?

Haven't studied this, but after a quick google search, here's what I think.

(At)c=Ac+t(A |\mathbf{t}) \mathbf{c} = A\mathbf{c} + \mathbf{t} by definition its def.

Since 1 is not an eigenvalue of AA, then by definition we have that Ac1cA\mathbf{c} \neq 1\cdot \mathbf{c}.

But there exists a unique c\mathbf{c} for which, if we add t\mathbf{t} onto the LHS, then the above will turn into an equality.

Hence Ac+t=cA \mathbf{c} + \mathbf{t} = \mathbf{c} for it.
Original post by RDKGames
Haven't studied this, but after a quick google search, here's what I think.

(At)c=Ac+t(A |\mathbf{t}) \mathbf{c} = A\mathbf{c} + \mathbf{t} by definition its def.

Since 1 is not an eigenvalue of AA, then by definition we have that Ac1cA\mathbf{c} \neq 1\cdot \mathbf{c}.

But there exists a unique c\mathbf{c} for which, if we add t\mathbf{t} onto the LHS, then the above will turn into an equality.

It's not clear to me why you think this is the case. (I think you are not using the fact "1 is not an eigenvalue" in the way that is expected).
Original post by DFranklin
It's not clear to me why you think this is the case. (I think you are not using the fact "1 is not an eigenvalue" in the way that is expected).

AA is a rotation. Choose some θ\theta so that cosθ1\cos \theta \neq 1, then the image of c\mathbf{c} rotated is definitely not equal to c\mathbf{c}.

Now wherever AcA \mathbf{c} ends up, you can add fixed t\mathbf{t} to it.

Now vary c\mathbf{c} and eventually Ac+tA \mathbf{c} + \mathbf{t} and c\mathbf{c} will coincide.

I was just playing with it on Desmos: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/ujxsbj1gbi

You can always move the red point onto the purple point. Change the location of the purple point by changing the value of t, then try and make them coincide.

Not a proper proof, but just how I visualised it. Idea obviously expands to 3-space. And yes probably not the approach that was intended.

Page 10 of this doc is what OP wants I think. http://www.maths.gla.ac.uk/~ajb/dvi-ps/2q-notes.pdf
AA is a rotation. Choose some θ\theta so that cosθ1\cos \theta \neq 1, then the image of c\mathbf{c} rotated is definitely not equal to c\mathbf{c}.

Now wherever AcA \mathbf{c} ends up, you can add fixed t\mathbf{t} to it.

Now vary c\mathbf{c} and eventually Ac+tA \mathbf{c} + \mathbf{t} and c\mathbf{c} will coincide.

I was just playing with it on Desmos: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/ujxsbj1gbi

You can always move the red point onto the purple point. Change the location of the purple point by changing the value of t, then try and make them coincide.

Not a proper proof, but just how I visualised it. Idea obviously expands to 3-space. And yes probably not the approach that was intended.
The key point here is that if 1 is not an eigenvalue then A-I is invertible (and so you can solve for c).
Reply 5
Original post by DFranklin
The key point here is that if 1 is not an eigenvalue then A-I is invertible (and so you can solve for c).

How would you solve for c?
Original post by Feynboy
How would you solve for c?

c=Ic\mathbf{c} = I \mathbf{c}

So Ac+t=c    AcIc=t    (AI)c=tA\mathbf{c} + \mathbf{t} = \mathbf{c} \iff A \mathbf{c} - I \mathbf{c} = - \mathbf{t} \iff (A-I)\mathbf{c} = -\mathbf{t}

Then employ the fact that A-I is invertible.
Reply 7
c=Ic\mathbf{c} = I \mathbf{c}

So Ac+t=c    AcIc=t    (AI)c=tA\mathbf{c} + \mathbf{t} = \mathbf{c} \iff A \mathbf{c} - I \mathbf{c} = - \mathbf{t} \iff (A-I)\mathbf{c} = -\mathbf{t}

Then employ the fact that A-I is invertible.

I see. What is 5.3 saying? Does it mean A*(the vector), or (A|the vector)?
Original post by Feynboy
I see. What is 5.3 saying? Does it mean A*(the vector), or (A|the vector)?

Looks to me like they just want you to evaluate

(cosθsinθsinθcosθ)(rcosθrsinθ)\begin{pmatrix} \cos \theta & - \sin \theta \\ \sin \theta & \cos \theta \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} r \cos \theta \\ r \sin \theta \end{pmatrix}

Though I cheat a little bit... because I know what matrix A does. But even from the notation I think it's obvious that it's saying "apply A to this vector"
Reply 9
Looks to me like they just want you to evaluate

(cosθsinθsinθcosθ)(rcosθrsinθ)\begin{pmatrix} \cos \theta & - \sin \theta \\ \sin \theta & \cos \theta \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} r \cos \theta \\ r \sin \theta \end{pmatrix}

Though I cheat a little bit... because I know what matrix A does. But even from the notation I think it's obvious that it's saying "apply A to this vector"

Screenshot 2018-11-19 at 21.03.25.png
How to show 6.1? I can't solve the characteristic eqn.
Original post by Feynboy

Post your working.
Original post by Feynboy
Screenshot 2018-11-19 at 21.03.25.png

You don't need to worry about the characteristic equation - you solve it to find the eigenvalues, but in this case they've explicitly told you what the eigenvalues are.
Incidentally, given a matrix A=(a11a12a21a22)A = \begin{pmatrix}a_{11} & a_{12} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} \end{pmatrix} and a vector t=(t1t2)t = \begin{pmatrix}t_1 \\ t_2 \end{pmatrix}, if you form the matrix

T=(a11a12t1a21a22t2001)T = \begin{pmatrix}a_{11} & a_{12} & t_1 \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & t_2 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}, then you find that if

Au+t = v, where

u=(u1u2)u= \begin{pmatrix}u_1 \\ u_2 \end{pmatrix} and v=(v1v2)v= \begin{pmatrix}v_1 \\ v_2 \end{pmatrix}

then we have:

T(u1u21)=(v1v21)T \begin{pmatrix}u_1 \\ u_2 \\ 1\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}v_1 \\ v_2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}

In other words, by embedding our 2-vectors in R^3 by setting "z=1", we can obtain a formulation where we can represent the Au+t transform by a single 3x3 matrix.

I'm not sure this is actually helpful to what you're doing in any way to be honest; but it's a common trick in computer graphics when we want to represent rotations, scales, and translations in a common format.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest