TylerRoss
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, this may sound like a stupid question but I cannot find an answer anywhere. I have been invited for an interview with the option to stay overnight. So, I was wondering do the dorm rooms come with wireless internet to connect mobile phones? I’m aware they have Ethernet connection but am not sure about wireless.
Many thanks.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There'll be eduroam, but you probably won't have access unless they arrange guest access, or you already have an eduroam login (since they can be used at any university). Might be worth contacting the college directly to find out ahead of time what provisions are made?
TylerRoss
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
There'll be eduroam, but you probably won't have access unless they arrange guest access, or you already have an eduroam login (since they can be used at any university). Might be worth contacting the college directly to find out ahead of time what provisions are made?
Hey thank you for replying. So say if I were fortunate enough to receive an offer and ultimately get a place, it’d be possible to get a wireless connection to my dorm room? I’ve seen online that coverage covers only the library so I’m a bit worried.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TylerRoss)
Hey thank you for replying. So say if I were fortunate enough to receive an offer and ultimately get a place, it’d be possible to get a wireless connection to my dorm room? I’ve seen online that coverage covers only the library so I’m a bit worried.
Not sure, one of the resident Girtonians (if we have any) will need to advise on the current setup...as before, I assume there is eduroam, but that isn't necessarily the best option so if they have college wifi that's probably better. Is there a reason an ethernet connection wouldn't be suitable while you're living there if they don't have wifi though?

I understand for interview you're just bringing your phone but if you're living there it's not hard to just plug your laptop in at your desk (or whatever, I have no idea what the room setups are), and if you're otherwise out and about then you'll probably be near an eduroam spot wherever your lectures are (and failing that, can fall back on 4G).

Seems a bit of a non-issue...
TylerRoss
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Not sure, one of the resident Girtonians (if we have any) will need to advise on the current setup...as before, I assume there is eduroam, but that isn't necessarily the best option so if they have college wifi that's probably better. Is there a reason an ethernet connection wouldn't be suitable while you're living there if they don't have wifi though?

I understand for interview you're just bringing your phone but if you're living there it's not hard to just plug your laptop in at your desk (or whatever, I have no idea what the room setups are), and if you're otherwise out and about then you'll probably be near an eduroam spot wherever your lectures are (and failing that, can fall back on 4G).

Seems a bit of a non-issue...
I appreciate your help but I don’t understand how it seems a non-issue? I mean id much rather have access to WiFi than rely on using mobile data as it becomes expensive, and for using my iPad/phone to watch videos and social media while in bed and what not?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TylerRoss)
I appreciate your help but I don’t understand how it seems a non-issue? I mean id much rather have access to WiFi than rely on using mobile data as it becomes expensive, and for using my iPad/phone to watch videos and social media while in bed and what not?
Yes but you could also just plug in your laptop and tether your phone/ipad to that using its bluetooth, so I'm still not really sure why wifi is seen as such an essential thing compared to just internet access generally (which there will be).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (15)
22.39%
I'm not sure (2)
2.99%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (18)
26.87%
I have already dropped out (3)
4.48%
I'm not a current university student (29)
43.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise