The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Gosh, some of you are keen beans! :biggrin:

Oxford Woosta (Worcester College) muso (music) alumna (2007-2010) here. Any questions about music at Ox or about Woosta, do feel free to PM. I'm not gonna be watching this thread so quote or tag me to get my attention :h:

Seriously? Well thanx for the help. Its appreciated sir alumna from woosta of oxford who achieved the championship of muso....
Original post by suits1929
What did you get at GCSE?

A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAAAA. (8A* 6A)

What A levels are you studying?

English Literature, Sociology, History, Biology, Psychology (AS Level)

What are your A Level grades (if this applies to anyone)?

A*A*AAa (English Literature, Sociology, History, Biology, Psychology respectively) (2A* 2A 1a)

What are your target/predicted grades?

n/a

What extracurriculars do you do?

Writing

What course will you be applying for?

Religion

What colleges are you interested in and why?

Christ Church

Why Oxford and not Cambridge?

Just because

Are my grades good enough for Theology???

Your grades are damn good for theology.
Original post by Yr_11_MATHS
Hey guys

Looking to apply to Oxford but may apply to Cambridge instead due to GCSEs giving less weight when applying there than Oxford (My GCSEs aren't bad as there are a few A*s but I think I have too many As next to my name instead of more A*s

Course: Computer Science
College: No idea
Predicted grades: A*A*AA

Oxford really doesn't put a huge amount of weight on GCSEs for Computer Science. Yes, we'd certainly prefer to see better results; but the same is true of Cambridge and all other good universities. We take account of the proportion of A*s at GCSEs in shortlisting, but the weighting is quite small: each extra A* is "worth" the same as one or two marks on the MAT.

Original post by saboor 123
go for oxford. As long as you dont have Bs its good. As and A*s are given a similar weighting.

That's not true: see above.

And I would advise you to take A level maths and another subjects this year. Get an A* in maths and an A in another subject. Then you should have a stronger applocatiom than the rest.

If your school normally enters students early for Maths, then by all means do that. But it will give you no advantage. And we'd rather see an A* in the second subject in Year 13 than an A in Year 12.

Gavin
Your grades are damn good for theology.

is an offer likely tho :/ im scared i dont compete well as an applicant
is an offer likely tho :/ im scared i dont compete well as an applicant

if you perform well in the admissions test, you will be fine. Its almost like a game of luck as Viola Helen and Ibz Mo said in one of their vidoes.
if you perform well in the admissions test, you will be fine. Its almost like a game of luck as Viola Helen and Ibz Mo said in one of their vidoes.

there is no admission test for theology
there is no admission test for theology

Then dont worry!
Hi!

I'm hoping to apply to Oxford in 2020 - so far the only exams I've sat are GCSEs (9,9,9,9,9,8,8,8,8,A*,A*) but I worked really hard for them and apparently they are important to Oxbridge applications?

Course: Mathematics and Philosophy
College: Worcester
Predicted grades: A*,A*,A*,A* (eek!)
Why Oxford: Cambridge doesn't offer my course!

I've been waiting for this thread to pick up again - I've wanted to apply for years and I'm so happy to find other people who are just as overly eager as I am :smile:
Hi there. I am doing my A levels and will be applying to Oxford for physics at Trinity.

My GCSEs: 12 A*s
Predicted A levels: 3A*s and an A

Any advise on the PAT? And also I am really considering switching to materials Science.
Happy New Year to all my fellow Oxford hopefuls - this year we will apply and have our interviews!!!

Is anyone applying/ has anyone applied for UNIQ?
Original post by RavenclawOwl
Happy New Year to all my fellow Oxford hopefuls - this year we will apply and have our interviews!!!

Is anyone applying/ has anyone applied for UNIQ?

What is uniq?
Original post by Supernovas
What is uniq?

It's basically an Oxford summer school for state school students :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Supernovas
What is uniq?

A free week-long summer school for Y12 students. Similar to Sutton Trust.

http://www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/uniq2019

And like the Sutton Trust is heavily oversubscribed.
Great to see the 2020 thread up and running already!

We are Brasenose Admissions - if you tag us or mention Brasenose in a post, we’ll see it and happily read your query and reply if we think we can help. Or send us a message if you prefer - we can comment/advise on individual circumstances up until the application deadline.

Please check out our profile for more details.
@BrasenoseAdm Hi there! I imagine my query is too specific to answer, but could you let me know where I should direct it? I currently suffer from two disabilities - a mental health condition and a physical disability. I've been told I should not let this get in the way of my goals, but I was wondering if it is really realistic to apply to Oxford when I suffer from problems like this, especially since they both affect my cognitive function (e.g. short term memory). Does Brasenose college have a view on this?
Original post by RavenclawOwl
@BrasenoseAdm Hi there! I imagine my query is too specific to answer, but could you let me know where I should direct it? I currently suffer from two disabilities - a mental health condition and a physical disability. I've been told I should not let this get in the way of my goals, but I was wondering if it is really realistic to apply to Oxford when I suffer from problems like this, especially since they both affect my cognitive function (e.g. short term memory). Does Brasenose college have a view on this?

Thanks for your query. If you perform well on the assessments (eg admissions test and interviews) and are predicted to achieve the entry requirements, then it would be discriminatory to take into consideration your disabilities (2010 Equality Act). The board supervising the admissions test and the college(s) interviewing you would also make reasonable adjustments for your disability and at the interview stage, prior to arrival, you would be invited to discuss these adjustments so that they can be put in place.

In terms of whether the course is right for you, we think you have essentially the same decision as any other student. You would need to consider the form in which teaching is delivered and how the degree is assessed. While reasonable adjustments would again apply, you may nevertheless feel that a degree course with (for instance) more continual assessment and fewer timed examinations is more attractive - ultimately, this is a personal decision.

We would suggest finding out more about the course and contacting the relevant department and also a college you might like to apply to direct in order to obtain more information that will help you reach a deciison.

In passing, it can be noted that about 1 in 10 undergraduatres on course is registered with the University's disability advisory service and although individual needs vary a great deal this figure is worth bearing in mind.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Thanks for your query. If you perform well on the assessments (eg admissions test and interviews) and are predicted to achieve the entry requirements, then it would be discriminatory to take into consideration your disabilities (2010 Equality Act). The board supervising the admissions test and the college(s) interviewing you would also make reasonable adjustments for your disability and at the interview stage, prior to arrival, you would be invited to discuss these adjustments so that they can be put in place.

In terms of whether the course is right for you, we think you have essentially the same decision as any other student. You would need to consider the form in which teaching is delivered and how the degree is assessed. While reasonable adjustments would again apply, you may nevertheless feel that a degree course with (for instance) more continual assessment and fewer timed examinations is more attractive - ultimately, this is a personal decision.

We would suggest finding out more about the course and contacting the relevant department and also a college you might like to apply to direct in order to obtain more information that will help you reach a deciison.

In passing, it can be noted that about 1 in 10 undergraduatres on course is registered with the University's disability advisory service and although individual needs vary a great deal this figure is worth bearing in mind.

Thank you! That's incredibly helpful and very reassuring to hear. Oxford is my dream university so I didn't want to be held back from applying!
Still unsure as to whether a really want to apply to Oxford, but whatever haha. Im currently studying Geography, Psychology and Business with an EPQ on environmental law.

Course: Law
College: Looking at LMH, Oriel and Pembroke
Predicted: A*AA/A*A*A
Reply 38
im applying for law this year (2019) :smile:
Reply 39
I'm applying for medicine, I am not sure which thread will be the official one as there seems to be 2 2020 oxford application threads.

@Doonesbury probably will know though :P
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending