Was my age the reason I was rejected before interview? Watch

anon24215
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
I just got rejected before interview at a college which claims to interview more than any other college. I am currently in year 13 and I am a year younger than the rest of my cohort, I got 9A*s at GCSE and 4A* predicted and I didn't have much difficulty with the admission assessment. The email of rejection from the college didn't state the reason I was rejected other than high competition, which I fear could be one of the reasons. However I am wary that my age could've been the reason I was rejected. Thoughts?
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I doubt they rejected you based on age, though that might depend on the Universities policy. As far as I am aware, Universities aren't meant to be able to discriminate based on age, but that would just be my assumption.

There are quite a few younger folks that I'm aware of in my course, some upwards of two years younger than someone such as myself who entered at what might be considered a "standard" age (i.e. finishing Sixth Form @ 18 and entering Uni)

https://www.strath.ac.uk/media/ps/se...e_Nov_2012.pdf provides a unique bit of context. It seems to just be based on that University (one of the first results from Google) and gives a comprehensive idea of what I'd expect would be the basis for most policies when it comes to entry discrimination.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anon24215)
Hello,
I just got rejected before interview at a college which claims to interview more than any other college. I am currently in year 13 and I am a year younger than the rest of my cohort, I got 9A*s at GCSE and 4A* predicted and I didn't have much difficulty with the admission assessment. The email of rejection from the college didn't state the reason I was rejected other than high competition, which I fear could be one of the reasons. However I am wary that my age could've been the reason I was rejected. Thoughts?
Unless you are applying for Medicine there is no age restriction. And being 17 really won't make that much difference to them, so no.

Which course did you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Callicious)
I doubt they rejected you based on age, though that might depend on the Universities policy. As far as I am aware, Universities aren't meant to be able to discriminate based on age, but that would just be my assumption.

There are quite a few younger folks that I'm aware of in my course, some upwards of two years younger than someone such as myself who entered at what might be considered a "standard" age (i.e. finishing Sixth Form @ 18 and entering Uni)

https://www.strath.ac.uk/media/ps/se...e_Nov_2012.pdf provides a unique bit of context. It seems to just be based on that University (one of the first results from Google) and gives a comprehensive idea of what I'd expect would be the basis for most policies when it comes to entry discrimination.
Actually there are lots of 17yo at Scottish universities like Strathclyde because Scottish pupils can go to university a year earlier than in the rest of the UK. Many don't do Advanced Highers (the equivalent of A-levels) just Highers (like AS-levels).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Janeiswho
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think age is the reason, because my son just turned 16 years and he got an invitation for interview.
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Actually there are lots of 17yo at Scottish universities like Strathclyde because Scottish pupils can go to university a year earlier than in the rest of the UK. Many don't do Advanced Highers (the equivalent of A-levels) just Highers (like AS-levels).

Posted from TSR Mobile
That explains that o,o

(I study in Scotland, so that might be the reason...)
crazychameleon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My brother was in the same situation as you so and I recall Caius saying they'd prefer if he entered at the age of 18 as opposed to 17 so if they were to give him an offer, it'd likely be a deferred entry. As a result he applied for Christ's and got in without a deferred entry. However he still got in and colleges wouldn't be allowed to reject an applicant outright due to age.
Last edited by crazychameleon; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (114)
19.42%
Labour (297)
50.6%
Liberal Democrats (76)
12.95%
Green Party (30)
5.11%
Brexit Party (7)
1.19%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.51%
SNP (13)
2.21%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.02%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)