The Student Room Group

Conditional Probabilities

"The events A and B are such that P(A|B) = 7/10, P(B|A) = 7/15 and P(A U B) = 3/5. Find the values of P(A B) and P(A’ B)."

Anyone know tf how to do this, my mind gone blank?? Pretty sure i need the P(A) first to put into a formula for P(AnB) = P(A) X 7/15, so how do i find P(A)?
Original post by isobel_07
"The events A and B are such that P(A|B) = 7/10, P(B|A) = 7/15 and P(A U B) = 3/5. Find the values of P(A B) and P(A’ B)."

Anyone know tf how to do this, my mind gone blank?? Pretty sure i need the P(A) first to put into a formula for P(AnB) = P(A) X 7/15, so how do i find P(A)?

P(AB)=P(AB)P(B)=710P(A|B) = \dfrac{P(A \cap B)}{P(B)} = \dfrac{7}{10} .... (*)

P(BA)=P(AB)P(A)=715P(B|A) = \dfrac{P(A \cap B)}{P(A)} = \dfrac{7}{15} .... (**)

P(AB)=P(A)+P(B)P(AB)=35P(A \cup B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \cap B) = \dfrac{3}{5} .... (***)

You can express P(B)P(B) in terms of P(AB)P(A \cap B) from (*) and also express P(A)P(A) in terms of P(AB)P (A \cap B) from (**) then sub these into (***) and solve for P(AB)P(A\cap B).

Then notice that P(B)=P(AB)+P(AB)P(B) = P(A ' \cap B) + P(A \cap B) hence you can use part (*) as well as the value of P(AB)P(A \cap B) to work out P(AB)P(A ' \cap B)

At no point do you need to find P(A)P(A), believe it or not.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
P(AB)=P(AB)P(B)=710P(A|B) = \dfrac{P(A \cap B)}{P(B)} = \dfrac{7}{10} .... (*)

P(BA)=P(AB)P(A)=715P(B|A) = \dfrac{P(A \cap B)}{P(A)} = \dfrac{7}{15} .... (**)

P(AB)=P(A)+P(B)P(AB)=35P(A \cup B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \cap B) = \dfrac{3}{5} .... (***)

You can express P(B)P(B) in terms of P(AB)P(A \cap B) from (*) and also express P(A)P(A) in terms of P(AB)P (A \cap B) from (**) then sub these into (***) and solve for P(AB)P(A\cap B).

Then notice that P(B)=P(AB)+P(AB)P(B) = P(A ' \cap B) + P(A \cap B) hence you can use part (*) as well as the value of P(AB)P(A \cap B) to work out P(AB)P(A ' \cap B)

At no point do you need to find P(A)P(A), believe it or not.

ah, i see was overthinking it a bit, thank.

Quick Reply

Latest