The Student Room Group

Unrelated Masters to Undergrad Course

I am currently on my undergraduate course for English Language and Literature. However, I would like to do a MPhil in Biological Science (Plant Sciences) at Cambridge. Do you think with enough relevant work experience (local zoo, doctors surgery, a lot of visits to the exhibition museum of science etc.), a lot of reading and hard work in my spare time and through the holidays, it would be enough to apply to Cambridge for 2021?
Original post by jasminefisher089
I am currently on my undergraduate course for English Language and Literature. However, I would like to do a MPhil in Biological Science (Plant Sciences) at Cambridge. Do you think with enough relevant work experience (local zoo, doctors surgery, a lot of visits to the exhibition museum of science etc.), a lot of reading and hard work in my spare time and through the holidays, it would be enough to apply to Cambridge for 2021?

It's not unheard of to take a Master's in a very different subject, but I don't think Cambridge would accept you because you wouldn't have the depth of knowledge needed to be successful. You could try asking, to make sure before embarking on a lot of hard work.
Yeah, I agree with the other reply you've gotten.
This isn't going to be an application that hinges on its details: either they will consider someone with an English Lit background or they won't.
As a multi-disciplinary myself I feel bad to say it but I don't think they will. Whilst people often take PG degrees that don't relate to their UG ones very strongly, usually this is someone who did Politics doing an LLM, or a biologist/chemist taking physics or computing courses.
English to science is quite a leap.

I really hope someone lets you do it but I really don't think it will be Cambridge. Good luck though. :smile:
Original post by Johnathan94

As a multi-disciplinary myself I feel bad to say it but I don't think they will. Whilst people often take PG degrees that don't relate to their UG ones very strongly, usually this is someone who did Politics doing an LLM, or a biologist/chemist taking physics or computing courses.

Agreed. I know someone who went from drama to IR and achieved a distinction, but I fear the OP's leap is a little too far.
Original post by ageshallnot
It's not unheard of to take a Master's in a very different subject, but I don't think Cambridge would accept you because you wouldn't have the depth of knowledge needed to be successful. You could try asking, to make sure before embarking on a lot of hard work.

Thank you for your response, I do understand that this is a big thing to enquire about, especially as it being a science masters degree.

At my current university, I am in 2 days a week; 1 day for 6 hours and 1 day for 3. I usually get all my lecture notes and reading done within 2 days and therefore I am left with quite a lot of spare time, (for context I do not drink or smoke or party - saves money and time). Over the course of 3 years with all my spare time I could do a lot of further reading on the masters course. Otherwise, it isn't the end of the world as I can always go somewhere else.
Original post by Johnathan94
Yeah, I agree with the other reply you've gotten.
This isn't going to be an application that hinges on its details: either they will consider someone with an English Lit background or they won't.

I really hope someone lets you do it but I really don't think it will be Cambridge. Good luck though. :smile:

Thank you for your response! I do understand that this is quite a difference in course and I am telling myself that it will not happen so that either way I won't be too disappointed. However, I would be able to put in 110% effort for further/extra reading in my spare time on my current course as I do not feel it is demanding enough and I am currently teaching myself French in my spare time!

Thank you again :smile:

What do you want to do career-wise? What stage are you at in your current degree?
Original post by Duncan2012
What do you want to do career-wise? What stage are you at in your undergrad degree?

I am currently in my first year of undergrad, I have no set idea of career choice at the moment as I am still searching my options. I am however an avid vegan (controversial for some people) and I would really like to help by working with animals and to understand the biology of plants more. I understand this sounds a bit all over the place but I am on this English Lang and Lit course as almost because I felt I had to. I really enjoyed English in a levels but I don't feel it is going to push me in the right career direction. I am not interested in becoming a school teacher or a journalist (which are the main two options I have at the moment). I do almost feel stuck with my course option and unsure of what to do.
Thank you for your response, I do understand that this is a big thing to enquire about, especially as it being a science masters degree.

At my current university, I am in 2 days a week; 1 day for 6 hours and 1 day for 3. I usually get all my lecture notes and reading done within 2 days and therefore I am left with quite a lot of spare time, (for context I do not drink or smoke or party - saves money and time). Over the course of 3 years with all my spare time I could do a lot of further reading on the masters course. Otherwise, it isn't the end of the world as I can always go somewhere else.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with ambition and drive! If you can get a First at your current university that would demonstrate your academic capacity wherever you apply in the future. It would also help if you did MOOCs and contributed to online discussions or blogs on your new subject.
Original post by ageshallnot
There's absolutely nothing wrong with ambition and drive! If you can get a First at your current university that would demonstrate your academic capacity wherever you apply in the future. It would also help if you did MOOCs and contributed to online discussions or blogs on your new subject.

Sometimes I do feel I am a bit too ambitious 😂 But yes, I completely forgot about MOOC's! Thank you for reminding me! I am worried about contacting the university, I don't know how formal I should be.
Just say what comes naturally.
I am currently in my first year of undergrad, I have no set idea of career choice at the moment as I am still searching my options. I am however an avid vegan (controversial for some people) and I would really like to help by working with animals and to understand the biology of plants more. I understand this sounds a bit all over the place but I am on this English Lang and Lit course as almost because I felt I had to. I really enjoyed English in a levels but I don't feel it is going to push me in the right career direction. I am not interested in becoming a school teacher or a journalist (which are the main two options I have at the moment). I do almost feel stuck with my course option and unsure of what to do.

Have you considered dropping out and reapplying for what sounds like a more sensible course? Why waste 3 years doing a degree you're clearly not interested in? Don't rush into anything, but I would suggest considering it.

Also, OT, but what's an "avid" vegan? I'm not sure how understanding more about plant and animals will help getting people to eat more/less of them?
Original post by Duncan2012
Have you considered dropping out and reapplying for what sounds like a more sensible course? Why waste 3 years doing a degree you're clearly not interested in? Don't rush into anything, but I would suggest considering it.

Also, OT, but what's an "avid" vegan? I'm not sure how understanding more about plant and animals will help getting people to eat more/less of them?

I have thought about it, however I am at university with my boyfriend and as much as he would want me to go and do the course I would probably get more out of, I am in 2 minds to leave.

By avid I mean that I am very enthusiastic about veganism and want to share that with people. I loved biology, however I didn't take it at a level as I did a double science GCSE and this didn't enable me to take it at a level at my Sixth form. So I think this leaves me in a sticky situation.

I understand that taking a degree in plant biology won't help make people become vegan aha, I just very much enjoy the subject and as much as I like English, for me it doesn't feel as academically demanding. I like structure and being busy.
Thank you for your response! I do understand that this is quite a difference in course and I am telling myself that it will not happen so that either way I won't be too disappointed. However, I would be able to put in 110% effort for further/extra reading in my spare time on my current course as I do not feel it is demanding enough and I am currently teaching myself French in my spare time!

Thank you again :smile:

I think if you're serious about this you will absolutely need to find some experience to have any kind of chance and like I said, I really don't think Cambridge are going to be understanding about the English Literature background. At another institution quite possibly.

I hope this doesn't sound patronising, that's really not my intent, but having read some of the other things you've said I feel compelled to ask...
Are you sure you're entirely up on what plant science is? I don't think it's entirely synonymous with botany, at least not the classic, quite romantic subject of botany as it used to exist. My own background is biological and biomedical science (although like you, I have an English Lit degree too), and I would have considered myself a fair candidate for a plant science programme in point of the first qualification. It will likely involve laboratory skills, maybe an understanding of genetics? I'm not saying it's beyond you at all but I just feel that you need to be really clear with yourself on what it is you're pursuing here.
Just an update, I am now on the undergraduate course for Biological Sciences at my university! I withheld an interview and I was able to get onto the course! I start in January and will graduate in 2022, as long as I work hard to achieve a high 2:1 or a 1:1 then I should have a much better chance of getting onto my desired Graduate course! Thank you to all of your comments, it opened my eyes and I realised that there wasn't much chance of me getting into Cambridge to do Science with an English degree.
Just an update, I am now on the undergraduate course for Biological Sciences at my university! I withheld an interview and I was able to get onto the course! I start in January and will graduate in 2022, as long as I work hard to achieve a high 2:1 or a 1:1 then I should have a much better chance of getting onto my desired Graduate course! Thank you to all of your comments, it opened my eyes and I realised that there wasn't much chance of me getting into Cambridge to do Science with an English degree.

Excellent news! Now it's just a question of mastering your new subject! 😁

Quick Reply

Latest