jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonymous lad)
Hey jacketpotato,

Just wondering if you could share some of your insights with us:
1. Do you know if the top US firms still look at academics when recruiting for NQs?
2. What sort of advice would you give someone to boost his chance of being recruited as an NQ or PQE 1 by a top US firm?

Cheers! XD
Hey there!

My understanding is that the US firms do look at academics a bit when recruiting NQs. All firms will look at academics to some degree, but by the time you qualify they should only be a minor factor. The experience you gained at your last firm will be much more important.

US firms were historically more focussed on academics because it was much easier to get Oxbridge people through hiring committees in the US. I suspect that is mostly ancient history now - certainly the larger US firms make their hiring decisions locally.

If you want to be recruited as an NQ or 1 PQE by a "top US" firm, the key thing is to qualify into an area which is in demand with those firms. The "top US firms" are much smaller than the "top UK firms" in London - in general they are not "full service" firms and have much fewer practice areas. For example very few US firms (if any?) have a real estate team or a pensions team. So you'd probably want to qualify into something like private equity, finance or international arbitration. The top US firms do recruit people in areas like competition and employment but in much smaller numbers.

Other than that, you just have to be confident and get prepared to work 60-70 hour weeks on a regular basis.
flatlined
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
60-70 hour weeks! Where do I find this part-time job?!
The West Wing
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lol.
(Original post by flatlined)
60-70 hour weeks! Where do I find this part-time job?!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (122)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (352)
56.41%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.74%

Watched Threads