soojin010222
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I'm a 17 years old international student who wants to study in UK. In 2 weeks, I have to choose A-lever or BTEC. I really hate exams so I'm considering to do BTEC level 3 extended diploma in business with one or two from A-level such as mathematics and further math. The problem is that top unis (Oxford, KCL and LSE) are believed not to accept students doing BTEC although they have official BTEC entry requirement. Is it possible to enter top unis with BTEC? Or should I do A-level?
FrazerE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i highly recommend you do alevels as most unis prefer to accept students who have a levels. Even though a level 3 Btec is apparently worth 3 a levels, most people don't see it like this. The majority of people i know who do Btec are going on to do an apprenticeship and not uni.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by FrazerE)
i highly recommend you do alevels as most unis prefer to accept students who have a levels. Even though a level 3 Btec is apparently worth 3 a levels, most people don't see it like this. The majority of people i know who do Btec are going on to do an apprenticeship and not uni.
Bold: Yes they do.

(Original post by soojin010222)
Hi, I'm a 17 years old international student who wants to study in UK. In 2 weeks, I have to choose A-lever or BTEC. I really hate exams so I'm considering to do BTEC level 3 extended diploma in business with one or two from A-level such as mathematics and further math. The problem is that top unis (Oxford, KCL and LSE) are believed not to accept students doing BTEC although they have official BTEC entry requirement. Is it possible to enter top unis with BTEC? Or should I do A-level?
I graduated from 2 top 20/30 unis for my bachelors and masters and I did a BTEC Extended Diploma (worth 3 A levels) with NO additional A levels.

Unis aren't biased to whether they accept someone with BTEC vs someone with A levels, they have requirements which if you meet then you should get an offer irrelevant of the type of qualification (providing your PS and references are fine). Me and several people from my old BTEC class got offers for good unis several months before the UCAS deadline so it would be impossible for them to have waited until all applications were in - this included unis such as, KCL, UCL, Southampton, RHUL, Bath, Manchester, Cardiff, Surrey, Reading and Sussex, among others.
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you hate exams then BTEC obviously.

What's the point going down a route you're more likely to fail on?
soojin010222
Rep:
?
That's a bad news. I should find out more
soojin010222
Rep:
?
(Original post by xDron3)
If you hate exams then BTEC obviously.

What's the point going down a route you're more likely to fail on?
Yep. You have a point.
soojin010222
Rep:
?
Thank you for experience-based reply which makes me relieved. I will do my best and the results will show my efforts.
graay
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Source? Where’s the evidence that they don’t accept BTEC students?
95% of all UK universities accept BTEC as an entry to a course, including many from the Russell Group.
Some courses such as English, Maths & History aren’t offered as Btec, because it’s more academic than coursework, and therefore not being able to enter the course in university as they need you to have done academic qualifications aka A Levels. But for courses like Business, Sports or Health & Social Care is accepted through btec qualifications at university as coursework is a big factor in the course.

All in all, academic subjects (English, Maths and History) would rather prefer or require A Levels.
Coursework related subjects (Business, Health & Social Care) would not mind btec
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (519)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (636)
41.35%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.55%

Watched Threads