Safety in london

Watch this thread
Dhruv.M
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys,im doing A-level design and technology and for my selected coursework topic its related too the safety in london.
My questions are, is london safe for young people?

Do you think alot of accidents and crime happen to people because theyre not visible?

If there was a product to help you feel safer would you use it?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Have moved this to Design and Technology for you

Paracosm has lived in london he might be able to help so has The_Lonely_Goatherd
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I'd say that with all the stabbings in the past few years, London is less safe than it used to be

Not sure what you mean by "Do you think alot of accidents and crime happen to people because theyre not visible?" - can you explain?

I'm not sure I would tbh. I mean, there are things like rape alarms but I don't carry one
Dhruv.M
Rep:
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I'd say that with all the stabbings in the past few years, London is less safe than it used to be

Not sure what you mean by "Do you think alot of accidents and crime happen to people because theyre not visible?" - can you explain?

I'm not sure I would tbh. I mean, there are things like rape alarms but I don't carry one
What i mean is if someone was visible by lets say by wearing a light, do you thinl it could deter people with bad intentions from approaching them and making them feel unsafe.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dhruv.M)
What i mean is if someone was visible by lets say by wearing a light, do you thinl it could deter people with bad intentions from approaching them and making them feel unsafe.
Oh I see! I'm not sure that would make more of a difference tbh. Maybe in woodland/secluded areas but generally speaking I don't think it would have much impact :nah:
Ben878
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If it's not violent crime IE stabbing, shooting, rape etc, and just more 'basic' about general visibility:

1. Cyclists often feel like a noticeable danger to a drivers perspective.
2. Pedestrians in the dark are not easily visible to drivers sometimes. Majority of people wear very dark clothing which is not helpful for drivers seeing them at night and for a fully dark clothed pedestrian to suddenly step out into the road.

Both two issues could be helped by visible gadgets that are small and subtle? (IE reflective materials rather than electric light) Cyclists do have a lot of items already of course though, just some ideas anyway
Last edited by Ben878; 3 years ago
Dhruv.M
Rep:
(Original post by Ben878 (LfL))
If it's not violent crime IE stabbing, shooting, rape etc, and just more 'basic' about general visibility:

1. Cyclists often feel like a noticeable danger to a drivers perspective.
2. Pedestrians in the dark are not easily visible to drivers sometimes. Majority of people wear very dark clothing which is not helpful for drivers seeing them at night and for a fully dark clothed pedestrian to suddenly step out into the road.

Both two issues could be helped by visible gadgets that are small and subtle? (IE reflective materials rather than electric light) Cyclists do have a lot of items already of course though, just some ideas anyway
Thanks for the great insight? What about crimes like stabbing, robbery could you suggest anything idea for that sort of thing?
Ben878
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dhruv.M)
Thanks for the great insight? What about crimes like stabbing, robbery could you suggest anything idea for that sort of thing?
Hmm, that's tricky because a lot of that, if not all of that, crime is conducted away from plain sight. As already suggested for rape, some kind of electronic alarm that can be traceable. But that seems high tech for an A level project? Not sure if that is or not. Perhaps some gadget/method of being able to get proof/an image of the assailant/robber etc. that can not be obvious to be stolen? (IE can't take a phone photo - it would get taken). Again, that may only get high tech...
Last edited by Ben878; 3 years ago
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thanks everyone for helping out a design and technology brethren :grouphugs: haven't lived in london for years so needed some more experienced users to give input
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (270)
42.25%
The paper was reasonable (264)
41.31%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
9.08%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
7.36%

Watched Threads