The Student Room Group

Accident in driving instructors car.

A couple of months ago I was having a driving lesson, basically, a car bumped me while I was completely stationary. My driving instructor got out and exchanged all of the details and after reviewing the in-car footage he said I had been stationary for 6/7 seconds when the guy bumped me so he didn't think the insurance company would need to contact me.

Today I have just received a long letter from a company called "CORCLAIM" asking me for extensive details about the accident. I don't have many of them cause my driving instructor was the one who exchanged the details. How did this company get my address? Did my instructor tell them it? Do I have to fill out this form or is it my instructor's responsibility as I am a learner and they have responsibility for what I do in the car.

Getting quite worried about this :frown:
Reply 1
I would say ignore it for now. You are not the insurance policyholder, so you would only be held liable for damages if you did something illegal, which clearly you haven't. These solicitors have nothing on you; I would not talk to them at all unless the courts get involved. It may be worth telling your instructor about this if you're still in contact with him though, it may be helpful for him to know.
Original post by Dez
I would say ignore it for now. You are not the insurance policyholder, so you would only be held liable for damages if you did something illegal, which clearly you haven't. These solicitors have nothing on you; I would not talk to them at all unless the courts get involved. It may be worth telling your instructor about this if you're still in contact with him though, it may be helpful for him to know.

Thanks :smile: I'll send him a text to let him know what's going on. And then I'll probably ignore it cause I don't think I'm legally obligated to respond. Also, I am under 18 so I don't know if that changes anything?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymoususer16
Thanks :smile: I'll send him a text to let him know what's going on. And then I'll probably ignore it cause I don't think I'm legally obligated to respond. Also, I am under 18 so I don't know if that changes anything?

You definitely don't have any obligation to respond. They are a private company and so cannot compel you to speak to them, they cannot fine you, they basically can't do anything except badger you with stupid letters unless they get a court order.

Being under 18 does change things but I don't think any of those changes matter for the time being. Although assuming you live with them, it's probably best chat about this with your parents, if they get a court summons through the door it might be a bit of a shock otherwise! Hopefully that's not likely to happen though, you've done nothing wrong after all. :smile:
From Corclaim's website: "

If someone damages your vehicle or property and that results in a financial loss, we get that money back for you. It’s what we do.
"

Yeah I'd take a hard pass on responding to that, ignore them. That's what insurance companies are there to deal with.
Original post by nevershear
From Corclaim's website: "

If someone damages your vehicle or property and that results in a financial loss, we get that money back for you. It’s what we do.
"

Yeah I'd take a hard pass on responding to that, ignore them. That's what insurance companies are there to deal with.

They seem like a classy outfit
Original post by YaliaV
They seem like a classy outfit

Yeah the more I dug the more slimy they became.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending