The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

I got a conditional offer AAB (B in chemistry)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by nbitar17
I got a conditional offer AAB (B in chemistry)

theres barely any info on the course ngl :') but looks great, its my fifth choice as well
Original post by Doctor P
theres barely any info on the course ngl :') but looks great, will you firm ?

honestly not sure because i’m waiting for medicine offers since thats my first choice. the course is really interesting and i feel like it’s gonna be the next big thing in the medical industry.
theres barely any info on the course ngl :') but looks great, its my fifth choice as well

where else did you apply? what are your stats?
Reply 5
where else did you apply? what are your stats?

Kings Bristol Southampton UEA got interviews from first three so far, kings and bristol one day after each other next week :/// and 735 band 2 ukcat, predicted A*A (already achieved an A resitting two exams) and 7A*3A igcse
Reply 6
hbu??
Kings Bristol Southampton UEA got interviews from first three so far, kings and bristol one day after each other next week :/// and 735 band 2 ukcat, predicted A*A (already achieved an A resitting two exams) and 7A*3A igcse

i applied to king’s too but i still havent heard anything back. my stats are:
2890 (722.5) band 1
A*A*A* predicted (+1 A* already achieved last year)
9 A*s 2 As at IGCSE

what do u think
kings oxford ucl are the ones im waiting to hear from for medicine
Reply 9
kings oxford ucl are the ones im waiting to hear from for medicine

thats weird for kings i know people with worst stats that have got an interview, im sure it will come soon and sickk stats mate, where was the fourth place you applied?
exeter but i was put into tier 2 (predicted a levels not achieved yet) and since im an international student i was rejected pre-interview. they took tier 1,2 and 3 for home students and only tier 1 for international students :frown: kinda wasted an option tbh
Reply 11
exeter but i was put into tier 2 (predicted a levels not achieved yet) and since im an international student i was rejected pre-interview. they took tier 1,2 and 3 for home students and only tier 1 for international students :frown: kinda wasted an option tbh

yehhh exeter are annoying af, i got rejected by them last year for not being tier 1 and i felt the same as you
yehhh exeter are annoying af, i got rejected by them last year for not being tier 1 and i felt the same as you

are you an international student?
(edited 5 years ago)
for king’s, did you manually check the portal or did you get an email from UCAS?
Reply 14
for king’s, did you manually check the portal or did you get an email from UCAS?

nah im home and email came from kings
Reply 15
Is anyone going to be doing this course?
Reply 16
If anyone's doing this course in September pm me if you wanna be added to a WA group for people who're also doing this course :smile:
Anybody thinking about doing this course, DON'T DO IT.
Reply 18
Original post by jj.repinec
Anybody thinking about doing this course, DON'T DO IT.

Could you explain why? and also how do you find it? Thanks!
Original post by be02
Could you explain why? and also how do you find it? Thanks!

I'm so glad you asked. I started this back in Sep 2019 and ended up dropping out and changing course.
1.) The course is severely undersubscribed. The cohort size was 16! The cohort size of Year 2 was less than that (like 14 or 15). Barely anyone applies for this course so it always has places available and they're open to taking students. I initially applied to Medicine, got rejected and was asked if I wanted to switch my application to this course and I immediately got an unconditional offer the next day.
2.) Because it's so undersubscribed, they're open to bending the rules sometimes just to take in students. (Otherwise their cohort size will prob be single numbers) It says on their website's main page for this course that the grade requirements are that you MUST have AA in Maths and Biology and a B in either Physics or Chemistry. I remember on induction day, they asked how many people did A-Level Maths and half of the people in there didn't even do it.
3.) As with most UCL courses, their quality of teaching is shambolic. To get the taste of what the quality of their teaching will be like you can find a video online of one of their seminar's. Abel Nyamapfene is the coordinator for the "Mathematics and Modelling" module in the first year. If you google "abel nyamapfene mediacentral.ucl" and click on the first link you can see what that module's lecturer is like.
4.) Not every bit of content is taught from lecture's, there's videos you have to watch in your own time every week to learn some of the content by yourself before you come into some PBL classes.
5.) A lot of students who choose this course are essentially Medicine rejects, it's never usually a first choice course for most people hence why the cohort is so small.

I wasn't their long enough so that's all the reasons I could think of. But I knew within induction week that choosing this course was a big mistake for me so I got out of there and chose a course that would have better career prospects.
Personally my advice would be to not really choose a course that combines two different subjects and instead choose a pure course. Choosing something like Engineering AND Medical Sciences means you'd be doing Maths n Physics one lecture and then Microbiology another lecture. I would say either choose a pure engineering course of a pure medical sciences course instead. It can be a bit all over the place unless that's something you do prefer.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest