The Student Room Group

National 5 Physics 2018-19

How's everyone finding Nat 5 physics so far? :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Estherxox
How's everyone finding Nat 5 physics so far? :smile:

There must be some more people doing Nat 5 physics out there! How are you all getting on? Anyone done their assignment yet?
Original post by Labrador99
There must be some more people doing Nat 5 physics out there! How are you all getting on? Anyone done their assignment yet?

Hello. I am doing Nat 5 Physics :smile: what topic are you all on? anyone started their assiment
My son is currently doing it and finding it very hard (worst prelim score by a long way). Struggling to come up with a research topic for his coursework as well. No real hints and tips on the internet that I can find either for topics.
Original post by real**********
My son is currently doing it and finding it very hard (worst prelim score by a long way). Struggling to come up with a research topic for his coursework as well. No real hints and tips on the internet that I can find either for topics.

I understand. I found Physics really difficult at first as I had lots of different teachers telling me differerent things.
But then my Dad steped in am helped me as he is a Lecturer of Physics at a Uni.
Probably should have asked for help sooner.
my daughter just received her national 5 physics prelim result and was delighted to get a 'B'. she has found the subject difficult at times. She has spent lots of time studying maths so this has helped her with formulas in physics.
Original post by a1m33camx
my daughter just received her national 5 physics prelim result and was delighted to get a 'B'. she has found the subject difficult at times. She has spent lots of time studying maths so this has helped her with formulas in physics.

Well done to your daughter- that's a great grade to be getting at this point in the year :smile:
Hey there! I'm doing Nat 5 Physics as well and just thought I'd share this app I found on Google Play- its called Physics National 5 and it basically does a great job of summarising the course. It's like having all your notes in your pocket- there's even a data sheet and formula sheet. Not sure if its on the App Store tho
Reply 8
Original post by riyaa.mariaa
Hey there! I'm doing Nat 5 Physics as well and just thought I'd share this app I found on Google Play- its called Physics National 5 and it basically does a great job of summarising the course. It's like having all your notes in your pocket- there's even a data sheet and formula sheet. Not sure if its on the App Store tho

That’s very good to hear coz my teacher isn’t very good and just speeds through the course without explaining what he’s talking about which can be mind boggling some times
Original post by Kwube123
That’s very good to hear coz my teacher isn’t very good and just speeds through the course without explaining what he’s talking about which can be mind boggling some times

http://physics-podcast.co.uk/
here's another resource. He also has a YouTube channel called Mr Smith's Physics Online and although the videos are from 2016 they're still really good - he goes through and explains questions well.
oh and this too
http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/national-5/
Original post by Sean1903
We recently completed the course and, overall, I'd say it was relatively easy when you put the work in. I got 88% in my first prelim, and our last one gets sat at the end of March - pretty much before we go on study leave. However, the thing that stood out to me the most was the electricity topic, that was the most difficult topic out of the rest in my opinion, and it seemed to be a common cycle amongst our class. Although, I haven't yet studied the topic of electricity yet, so maybe by the time I go over the notes, I may understand it a bit clearer.

88% is incredible by my standard. The first prelim my school gave me was extremely difficult and i got 41%. Luckily this was not a fail as they changed the pass mark to 40% because of it being so bad.
I find Physics really hard and don't plan to take it next year.
The open-ended questions whenever I reach them in past papers really catch me out (in Chemistry too). Would anyone have any tips or resources to share to help answer them? I know detail is important so I’m trying to consolidate my knowledge on parts of the course but they are still quite difficult.
Original post by Vladimir Poutine
The open-ended questions whenever I reach them in past papers really catch me out (in Chemistry too). Would anyone have any tips or resources to share to help answer them? I know detail is important so I’m trying to consolidate my knowledge on parts of the course but they are still quite difficult.

Bullet point your answers, and yeah use as much detail as possible.
There isn't really any way to prepare for them other than to do all the ones from past papers and just have a good knowledge on the Nat5 Physics course.

Although, do keep in mind that there are only 2 (if i recall correctly) open ended questions in the exam paper. That's only 6 marks out of the whole exam - so if worst comes to worst and the open ended questions are too difficult, then all is not lost!
That’s really helpful, I appreciate your response. 🙏
Reply 14
Hey folk I have a brill idea let’s all agree not to answer any questions so sqa give us all a pass
Oh if only the entire country could collude like that. I’m sure some few people, even if organised, would split and decide to cheat us. We’d need a powerful cartel enforcer to effectively police them which is too much effort...think I’ll just put that into revising as much as it pains me.
Original post by Coleete
Hey folk I have a brill idea let’s all agree not to answer any questions so sqa give us all a pass
Hey guys,
My relationship with Physics is weird, one moment I get good scores another moment it is a B.:cry:
I find it really interesting, the topics I am struggling with is Pressure, Cosmology and Projectiles.
I have stumbled across a channel- Mr. Smith Physics Online. It's really effective, the concept of vectors is so clear to me now. Although I still am unsure about it, I feel like I will manage.
I am not too sure about my assignment either, My graph was horrible. What revision methods are you doing? I just do past papers and watch videos.
Would love to know more about you all, is anyone planning to take Higher Physics?
Studying just now for nat5 physics, got a B in my prelim and planning taking it in s5. I find space the hardest topic to understand as we didnt spend a lot of time studying it after the prelim exam.
Agreed, I feel like our class has overlooked the topic. When we had the EOU assessment, I was appalled at the questions regarding Big Bang and Space Shuttles. Luckily the How To Pass explains it clearly and gives specific points. When in doubt look at how to pass!:smile:
I am also planning to take Physics to Higher. :smile:
Original post by ravenshill
Studying just now for nat5 physics, got a B in my prelim and planning taking it in s5. I find space the hardest topic to understand as we didnt spend a lot of time studying it after the prelim exam.
The hardest questions in my opinion are the 'using your knowledge of physics' and questions that want you to explain stuff. I'm horrible at it. Wish it could just be equations in the whole paper. Anyone know any websites that have great notes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending