The Student Room Group

National 5 Physics 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Thank you! That's really helpful :smile:
Original post by Crazymuffineater
For 16 you just do Ew=Fd, so that's 2500x50 but I'm not sure why you dont take the friction into account. For 19 you do

d=vt
d=(3×10^8) × (365×24×60×60) and this gives you one light year which is 9.4608×10^15m I think and then you times that by 4.3 and that's the answer
7E6E194A-AEE0-4BFE-9951-A7DF95EE859D.jpegSorry, I’ve got another question.

I think I know the method for this as v = f x lambda, substituting in the 20, but the answer in the marking scheme claims A, while I’m getting 17 (D). Does anyone know why it is x10-3?

This is from the Hodder Gibson model paper.
Original post by Vladimir Poutine

I think I know the method for this as v = f x lambda, substituting in the 20, but the answer in the marking scheme claims A, while I’m getting 17 (D). Does anyone know why it is x10-3?

You wouldn’t substitute 20 in you substitute 20x10^3 (20kHz) because to get the shortest wave length you want the highest frequency. Thus you do v = f x lambda, sub in the 34 and the 20x10^3 and get the answer as 0.017
Should say sub in 340 sorry not 34
So the velocity of sound in air is 340m/s. If the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases (so the velocity remains at 340m/s). Therefore, the shortest wavelength the student can hear will be at the highest frequency they can hear (20kHz).
340/20000(kHz to Hz) = 0.017m
Hope that explained it! :smile:
Original post by Vladimir Poutine

Reply 85
20kHz = 20000Hz
340/20000= 0.017 mabey?
Has anyone got any advice for answering explain voltage dividers. I've tried to revise them as much as possible but didnt want to use too much time.
Original post by scott23434
Has anyone got any advice for answering explain voltage dividers. I've tried to revise them as much as possible but didnt want to use too much time.

If you send an example I could explain how I would answer if (if I’m able to hahah)
Thanks ive figured it out (I think) , goodluck tomorrow

Original post by beth1709
If you send an example I could explain how I would answer if (if I’m able to hahah)
Hope the exam goes well tomorrow for you all! :smile:
Who's ready for Physics tomorrow? Let's hope the Electricity part of the paper (usually worth between 10-15 marks) is generous lol.
Original post by Strelzo
Who's ready for Physics tomorrow? Let's hope the Electricity part of the paper (usually worth between 10-15 marks) is generous lol.

I have mixed emotions about it, part of my thinks I’ll be totally fine and I’m just overthinking and then the other part of me thinks they’ll ask awful questions and I’ll **** it up
I have mixed emotions about it, part of my thinks I’ll be totally fine and I’m just overthinking and then the other part of me thinks they’ll ask awful questions and I’ll **** it up

If it's as easy as what the Chemistry paper was, we'll be flying. However it's Physics; will be a lot or problem solving questions/justification questions.
Original post by Strelzo
If it's as easy as what the Chemistry paper was, we'll be flying. However it's Physics; will be a lot or problem solving questions/justification questions.

True, fingers crossed
True, fingers crossed

🤞🤞🤞
Original post by ellamarshall
Yes, I'm so nervous but have done quite a lot of revision, so hopefully I will be ok. This is my last exam too!!!

Tomorrow's my last exam too! I've studied alot, I've had a tutor but I've just not been able to study during my other exams (Past 3 weeks) so I feel like I've forgotten everything. Hoping it'll be okay and that my assignment was good enough to score me some points.
My last exam is the 22nd of May then I have 2 weeks off; ya belter lol. I'm jealous, because youse get like 3 weeks off hehe.
Original post by daymeetsnight
Tomorrow's my last exam too! I've studied alot, I've had a tutor but I've just not been able to study during my other exams (Past 3 weeks) so I feel like I've forgotten everything. Hoping it'll be okay and that my assignment was good enough to score me some points.
Original post by OliveAgnes
Would anyone be able to explain the attached questions for me? Just the method for doing them. The answer for 16 is C and the answer for 19 is E (from the 2015 paper). I'm sure they're simple things, just can't get my head around them! Thanks :biggrin:

Energy-friction-mc.jpg
C. 125000N

Because Ew=F×dE_w = F\times d
where the force is the force required to overcome friction.
Here the friction force is equal and opposite to the driving force
which is produced by the engine (unbalanced force= 0, since constant vv).

(by the way the power of the engine is P=F×vP= F\times v just in case it may come up!
(edited 4 years ago)
I don't feel prepared, I have fared well in exams but I am not sure now. I just hope it's as good as Chemistry's
Thursday is my last exam woohoo! 😝💃💃
Best of luck guys, let's smash it out there, I feel weak in space and vectors. Hope there is an open ended question on ionising radiation 😌
Original post by rittajmoghal29
I don't feel prepared, I have fared well in exams but I am not sure now. I just hope it's as good as Chemistry's
Thursday is my last exam woohoo! 😝💃💃
Best of luck guys, let's smash it out there, I feel weak in space and vectors. Hope there is an open ended question on ionising radiation 😌

Same if the open ended is on radiation I will be over the moon, good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending