The Student Room Group

Missed assignment worth 25% of my module :(

it was due 3 hours ago and anything submitted later than is considered a fail. I'm going to get a 0 for it. It's all my fault, I didn;t check when it was due and i;ve been finding it so difficult to keep up with uni work that I'm just not turning up to so many of my lectures. There's so many assignments and I just can't keep up. I have no idea what to do.
help pleae
What do you expect us to say?
It can be overwhelming trying to juggle everything at university. Could you talk to someone in student services and contact your course tutor for help. It's a simple mistake you missed a date, there will be a solution just ask for advice on what to do now.Ask student services for some support, they are there to help. Try not to panic about it.Hope you can get it sorted,
I'm not sure if it's true of all universities, but at mine if you submit late (within a week after the deadline) you will get your assignment marked but it will be capped at a maximum mark of 40% - it may be worth checking (if you haven't already) if your university offers this? After all 40% is better than a 0 if you can get it!

Alternatively send some e-mails to lecturers and explain how you are feeling, in my experience lecturers are just as much human as we are and may be understanding to your situation and offer an extension of some kind - worth a try!

I would say as well to start attending lectures from now, honestly the best advice on assignments you will get are in these sessions. From experience, as someone that attended little to no lectures in first year (finished with a bare pass), to having full attendance in second year (finished with a first), lecturers are a lot more keen to help in situations like these if you have some kind of relationship with them and they know who you are - good luck, I understand it is hard but don't be afraid to ask people for help, everyone has rough patches in uni!
(edited 5 years ago)
It may just be a late submission. Check FAST if you can submit an essay within the next 24h after the deadline. After finding that out I would just stay awake all night and get it done. Stay strong!!!

In my previous uni, if you submitted it 24h after the deadline you lost 10 marks. If after 24h you would have a fail.
Original post by justanotherchica
it was due 3 hours ago and anything submitted later than is considered a fail. I'm going to get a 0 for it. It's all my fault, I didn;t check when it was due and i;ve been finding it so difficult to keep up with uni work that I'm just not turning up to so many of my lectures. There's so many assignments and I just can't keep up. I have no idea what to do.

Are you studying biomedical science or healthcare science at mmu by any chance? Because you’re literally exactly me right now? But look at the bright side. You roughly need 70% to get a first in general. 25% still leaves you 75% of the unit left. And also you have more than one module! So the significance of the assignment isn’t THAT DETRIMENTAL (Like something crazy like 50% of the entire course). So try to learn from you mistakes, smash all your other units and the rest of this unit. You can’t change the past but you can change the course of your future. Your main focus right now is to try and build your confidence and motivation again; so when the next assignment comes, you’ll be ready to kick its butt!! But right now, just talk to family and rest! Trust me, you’ll be fine!
Reply 7
Well for our course we just retake the module we failed I think.
Depending on university
- Fail entire module
- Fail weighting of the assignment
- Cap at 39% or 40%
- Cap at 25%
- 10 point loss per 24 hour period after deadline from final mark
- 15 point loss per 24 hour period after deadline from final mark
Reply 9
Original post by LostAccount
Depending on university
- Fail entire module
- Fail weighting of the assignment
- Cap at 39% or 40%
- Cap at 25%
- 10 point loss per 24 hour period after deadline from final mark
- 15 point loss per 24 hour period after deadline from final mark

What about retaking the module, isn't that an option...?
Original post by Plus7

We have no idea what the policies are for your university. You need to take three very urgent actions:

1) Submit the work as soon as possible.
2) Email the lecturer responsible for that unit as soon as possibly apologising profusely for the late submission and hope they take pity on you.
3) Book an urgent meeting with your Director of Studies / course organiser to work through your options e.g. resitting the unit / mitigating circumstance.

Finally, I would suggest you contact your Student Services / Student Union / Advice and Support centre to both lobby your department for you, and to offer you any help they can with keeping up with work in the future.
Reply 11
Original post by President Snow
We have no idea what the policies are for your university. You need to take three very urgent actions:

1) Submit the work as soon as possible.
2) Email the lecturer responsible for that unit as soon as possibly apologising profusely for the late submission and hope they take pity on you.
3) Book an urgent meeting with your Director of Studies / course organiser to work through your options e.g. resitting the unit / mitigating circumstance.

Finally, I would suggest you contact your Student Services / Student Union / Advice and Support centre to both lobby your department for you, and to offer you any help they can with keeping up with work in the future.

I meant in general! I'm not OP hahaha! Our uni said we can retake what we failed :P. But I am on foundation so i'm not sure about level 4 degrees.
Firstly, you need to find out what the penalties are for late submissions at your university.

At my uni, late submissions were penalised 10% per day after submission deadline until it's capped at 40% i.e. pass mark.
Original post by justanotherchica

Some good advice on finding out what the penalties are.
Sometimes they let you hand it in one day late at a penalty.
Tbh though its reckless for you not to know [especially if it counted towards the degree] , didnt you get the hint from any of your coursemates?

Fact you arent turning up for many lectures is a very bad sign and you need to start getting some extra advice and support from the department and or support services.

Contact the tutor tomorrow. If you had any extenuating circumstances, being treated for depression, then you might find a way out, but most likely it will be zero and a capped resubmission. Make a to do list for tomorrow:

Let tutor know.
See student advisor.
Find out about support services.

Worts things have happened. Its no great, but if it wakes you up and gets you sorted then it might be a good thing.
Talk to the uni nightline if you cant sleep.
Original post by Plus7

I don't think any university will force you to retake the module because you missed an assignment deadline, but it could be a consequence of one of the policies I mentioned above. So fail entire module -> Retake. 10 point loss but you scored below pass -> Retake. You get the point.
If it makes you feel better I slept through my first exam

It was only a minor but I still feel stupid
you need to get more organised otherwise you will really struggle and its only first year. please revise as much as you can this is YOUR future.
Reply 17
Reply 18
Original post by Andrew97
What do you expect us to say?

Quick Reply