Turn on thread page Beta

Transgender or not, my tax money should not go on to help a murderer watch

ReputationRep:
    Why should we improve the murderer's life for taking the life of someone else? I don't mind paying for someone's transition through tax if its justified (Gender dysphoria but that's a topic for another day) but the issue here is granting the wish to someone who has taken the life of another. I personally believe that once you commit a crime of that stature then you should lose that right unless you fund it yourself or is found to be able/healthy/capable enough to rejoin society however in the case of murder and torture I personally don't think this should be the case at all, especially considering how unremorseful it was.

p.s Is anyone else having an issue on Windows typing a comment into the student room? The keyboard cursor keeps jumping to the start of the comment and to wherever it feels like and it is incredibly annoying having to type a comment into ms word just to be able to type a coherent comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    the British Public would be far happier to see the Death Penalty brought back than wasting scarce assets on harebrained schemes like this.
    The British public collectively have **** for brains.You only need to look at Brexit to see that.The general publics ill-informed opinion is no reason to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, all criminals get free health care, free tvs, free food. They’re living a better life than a lot of us are, including murderers whether they be transgender or not so why pick on the one news story about a transgender person?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rs5644)
    The British public collectively have **** for brains.You only need to look at Brexit to see that.The general publics ill-informed opinion is no reason to do anything.
    Ah, so because you hold a different opinion, you’re the one that’s right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by velvetzappa)
    How is being transphobic exactly? I'm not inciting hate on transgenders am I? And I'm not blaming him for being transgender either. I'm saying public money should not be spent on self indulgent murderers.
    The whole article is transphobic.Its saying look at the big evil transgender guy who you're spending money on.If this ones bad so are the rest of them.The truth is that vastly more transgender people are murdered than are murderers.The Daily mail has form with this issue.One of their writers quite recently wrote an article about a transgender person who was so upset that they committed suicide.That is the real issue here.And let's not forget that they supported Hitler and we know what he did to LGBT people don't we?

ReputationRep:
    The whole article is transphobic.Its saying look at the big evil transgender guy who you're spending money on.If this ones bad so are the rest of them.The truth is that vastly more transgender people are murdered than are murderers.The Daily mail has form with this issue.One of their writers quite recently wrote an article about a transgender person who was so upset that they committed suicide.That is the real issue here.And let's not forget that they supported Hitler and we know what he did to LGBT people don't we?
    Stop being a drama queen

A prisoner incarcerated for murder should not have the right to, or the funding for, transgender surgery

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    Stop being a drama queen

A prisoner incarcerated for murder should not have the right to, or the funding for, transgender surgery
    I'm not but the Daily Mail is being one.Its a consistent pattern that they rarely put transgender people in a good light.Why shouldn't they? If he had a different condition like schizophrenia or HIV shouldn't they treat him? How is this different? The sentence is loss of liberty it's not loss of health.Otherwise we would just have the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    Ah, so because you hold a different opinion, you’re the one that’s right?
    No there is a reason we have representative democracy and not direct democracy.We pay people to think about complex issues for us so we don't have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    All rights should be lost!
    Rights to free health care for say, a heart bypass? rights to vote, to eat, to wash, use toilets?

ReputationRep:
    Please see my answer to kingjames23.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3121)
    Yeah yeah the government spends billions a year, people need to stop getting upset over small amounts of money. As if their tax money makes a difference
    It makes a difference to them- not everyone’s living off of their parents or has a nice job
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SoulfulTwist)
    Proves my point
    The money could go to NHS so they aren't underfunded so that there aren't such long waiting lists for things which are necessary.
    No, it doesn't prove your point at all. The NHS as a whole is underfunded, that doesn't then mean you just deny a section of the public healthcare that they need...

ReputationRep:
    These threads are so childish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ismail17)
    It makes a difference to them- not everyone’s living off of their parents or has a nice job
    Well either way that tax money is coming out your pocket, it doesn’t matter how much or what it’s spent on, you’re gonna pay it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    well you are quite the charmer. we live in a democracy. if there was a referendum on bringing back the big D then we all know what the answer would be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    well you are quite the charmer. we live in a democracy. if there was a referendum on bringing back the big D then we all know what the answer would be
    The truth hurts.Referendums should be on simple things that are easy to understand.Eg.death penalty, abortion, gay marriage.We shouldn't have them for large complex things.Even the experts aren't sure what will happen after Brexit.And if they aren't sure then how is anyone else supposed to have an informed opinion? I mean how many people knew it would cost 40 billion just to leave for example?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not but the Daily Mail is being one.Its a consistent pattern that they rarely put transgender people in a good light.Why shouldn't they? If he had a different condition like schizophrenia or HIV shouldn't they treat him? How is this different? The sentence is loss of liberty it's not loss of health.Otherwise we would just have the death penalty.
    Don’t you think you should be defending law abiding citizens instead of murderers though?

ReputationRep:
    What is even worse is that after this procedure, the murderer can essentially erase his former self.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Archurus23)
    Don’t you think you should be defending law abiding citizens instead of murderers though?
    It's not an either/or situation, not to mention that the article is heavily transphobic - her being trans is irrelevant to her crimes and do not a detail needed, not only publishing that but making her status as trans the main point is focusing on an irrelevant detail to feed outrage.

That said, the Daily Mail aren't the only ones guilty of it by far, even the Guardian are in on it occasionally with the awful op-ed they ran around the GRA consultation which not only misrepresented what the GRA does (it does not, as claimed, allow access to single sex spaces, that's covered by the equality act 2010) but also pretended that TERF nonsense about trans rights and women's rights being mutually exclusive had any validity (it doesn't, hence why most feminists - liberal or radical - support trans rights, TERFs are closer to misogynists LARPing at feminism than a genuine subsection of feminism with how they objectify women around their reproductive systems and treat them as frail vulnerable creatures to be protected)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by velvetzappa)
    Why is the NHS happily providing heath care for killers
    Who else did you think provided it? Why wouldn't it be the NHS?

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.